General Yuzuru Chat

29 minutes ago, Salior said:

It didn't seem respectful for the time he gave you personally anyway, as if getting the video to brag / share / remember later is more important than giving him your full attention and just appreciating him giving you his time. 

I agree. These are the times we live in, though. Everyone's got to film everything, it seems.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:09 AM, Gaby said:

:embSwan:     Hahahaha lol true. But  to  be  fair  when he  was young  , even  t  younger  than Yuzu , I'd say befor 21-22 y.o, he  wasn't  only about   posing  and wiggling the  hips. He  did  plenty  of  cool stuff.  It    feels  like  a century   ago tho.

I like programs of younger Plushenko more than those of the wiggling-hips Plushenko so I can relate :laughing: tho to be fair he wasn't the only one doing that (tho maybe he contributed to popularize it?)

Re: that image of fans kneeling

It kinda reminds me of what Javi did in Barcelona so I don't think it would make Yuzuru that uncomfortable, IMO he would understand it's a joke, and really,  most people knowing the context would take that just like it was meant (heck that's a typical example of hyperbole and I read it as healthy self-deprecating humour, we know how intense we can get and also how sometimes we are viewed, imo it's positive that we can laugh at ourself like that, regardless of how antis will try to twist things. It's bad when people take themselves too seriously).

Re: the video of Yuzu signing

I haven't watched it so idk, if Yuzuru didn't know he wasn't being filmed I don't like that, and I hope next time (if there is a next time) people would ask for permission as sign of respect. If Yuzu was aware :shrug:if it was fine for him it's fine for me too.

As for wanting to film that moment...I can understand both views, being busy filming or taking pictures always takes away something from live experience, but you get a more lasting and reliable 'memory' than your own memory, maybe even capture details your brain was too overwhelmed to take in (take a fs program, first watch is about impression and emotion, second third and so on you take in the details and little nuances more)

Re: Plushenko calling Yuzuru "better': that's a huge thing tbh, one he doesn't need to say and not many top skaters and legendary skaters would say. IMO it's true, but Plushenko is still entitled to think he is the best, or at least to claim that he is. But he goes out there and says that. Well, I guess he still thinks and says he's the best in some things, but still... (btw one thing I'd recognize to Plushenko is that he gas been able to deliver repeatedly and for a long time. Regardless of the reasons, it isn't Easy,  as we know). 

Re: Johnny's words 

They warm my heart :tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp:

And that's the beauty of FS, isn't it? That different skaters can brings different things even with same music and every generation adds something to be inherited by next gen, and next gen won't just erase or exploit what's there but build upon that 

And yes, french commies should really read that. If the man who is being 'copied' doesn't feel bitter at all or worries about being overshadowed  (because that's not how FS works, unless they think every lady skating to Carmen wants to show she's better than Witt :facepalm:), if he feels proud and finds beauty and 'typical Yuzu'in that  (so he himself recognize a different style from his own), why on earth they would be entitled to say all that.... sorry, I'm trying not to swear but some people make it hard :tantrum:

Sorry for mistakes my phone is dying and the post is too long I'm too lazy to re-read rn 😅

11 hours ago, Msyloves said:

Before China backed out of the GP, the president of the French Federation was saying that "they got Hanyu" for the GP... and with their commentators, I'm glad Yuzuru went to Helsinki instead :angrypooh: Like what Kurt Browning said (it was him, right?) everywhere Yuzu skates it's a hometown crowd :winky:

It was initially reported that the pres of French Fed said that,but then it was later clarified that he was referring to the 2019 Grand Prix Final which is supposed to take place in France.I dislike the president of the French Fed,but I desperately want him to be right this time when he says that Yuzuru will be there competing at that event...:snonegai:

7 hours ago, Salior said:

The actual thing that troubled me was someone taking a video of him while asking for a signature, and people are saying how good that video is because it's so close to Yuzu. I mean uh I appreciate that video, but I don't think Yuzu would be very amused to have a phone camera pointed at him while he's signing a signature for you. It didn't seem respectful for the time he gave you personally anyway, as if getting the video to brag / share / remember later is more important than giving him your full attention and just appreciating him giving you his time. 

Well this goes to show we all have different standards of what is okay and what is not okay. I think filming him while you are meeting him up close is way more normal (also because he is very much used to it, and isn't doing anything particularily private) than taking a photo of a group of people bowing down on the ground in front of his photo. 

I don't like that photo - not twisting it in any way, but I cannot even joke about worshipping a person like that. Sorry :dontdothistome: I don't find it funny. 

10 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Well this goes to show we all have different standards of what is okay and what is not okay. I think filming him while you are meeting him up close is way more normal (also because he is very much used to it, and isn't doing anything particularily private) than taking a photo of a group of people bowing down on the ground in front of his photo. 

I don't like that photo - not twisting it in any way, but I cannot even joke about worshipping a person like that. Sorry :dontdothistome: I don't find it funny. 

yea I was just judging based on what I think Yuzu would've liked - being an Asian with a slightly private lifestyle, I would rather have ppl kowtow to my portrait 200km away than have a phone shoved up my face lol. Neither felt appropriate but yea. Yuzu just gave a sheepish smile when interviewers mention that people think him as a god on TV, and just said nice things about being human. I've seen multiple videos of people filming Yuzu with one hand while he signs their card on the other hand, and he didn't even try to smile or say thank you, he just signed and turned around and left with a stoic face.

Being on TV and being off TV is different for sure, but I just felt that it's not just a single incident, he IS being filmed excessively off the ice, and being used to it vs liking it is a completely different matter. Mama Yumi actually had to stick her face to the wall when fans tried to take a picture of her at the airport, I don't think Yuzu would find this amusing at all.

Being exposed to this so many times - you should see the crowd outside the medal ceremony and warmup area, it's insane with lots of phone cameras - I wouldn't blame him if he felt annoyed to be called for attention only to have another phone camera stuck in his face, even though he knows that each fan is different. I spoke of this from my experience of handling a bombardment of similar, insensitive questions - even though you know each asker is unrelated, at some point you're going to feel like snapping. 

For sure he wouldn't mind being filmed when ready, or being filmed among friends, but to a private Asian person, having a phone camera shoved right in your face when you're not ready, by a stranger, is actually quite offensive, there are adults who would get very, very angry at that. To us it's like wtf, we're not a criminal or a zoo animal to be filmed for your enjoyment, knowing that the film will be shared or played on loop later. Also we take respect and attention during personal interactions VERY seriously, like if you play with your phone while someone else is trying to talk to you / give you something, it will be seen as very rude. I think similar things happen here, Yuzu is giving you attention by signing your card, but you're not respecting the attention he is giving you by doing something else. Professional interviewing and filming is one thing, personal interaction and capacities is another, and the bond should be treated with utmost respect. That's how we would see things. 

Yuzu knows it's just fans, but from his expression, carriage and demeanour across all those videos when he was being filmed, I felt a sense of annoyance towards the camera because he didn't smile at all, didn't greet the fan at all, and neither did he appear to be in a hurry, he just signed and left. No arigatou, no nodding head of acknowledgement, nothing. I would've done the same if I am reigning in my annoyance at the time. He might not actually feel like that, who knows, it's just me speaking from a general Asian culture where I live in. 

4 hours ago, Salior said:

yea I was just judging based on what I think Yuzu would've liked - being an Asian with a slightly private lifestyle, I would rather have ppl kowtow to my portrait 200km away than have a phone shoved up my face lol. Neither felt appropriate but yea. Yuzu just gave a sheepish smile when interviewers mention that people think him as a god on TV, and just said nice things about being human. I've seen multiple videos of people filming Yuzu with one hand while he signs their card on the other hand, and he didn't even try to smile or say thank you, he just signed and turned around and left with a stoic face.

Being on TV and being off TV is different for sure, but I just felt that it's not just a single incident, he IS being filmed excessively off the ice, and being used to it vs liking it is a completely different matter. Mama Yumi actually had to stick her face to the wall when fans tried to take a picture of her at the airport, I don't think Yuzu would find this amusing at all.

Being exposed to this so many times - you should see the crowd outside the medal ceremony and warmup area, it's insane with lots of phone cameras - I wouldn't blame him if he felt annoyed to be called for attention only to have another phone camera stuck in his face, even though he knows that each fan is different. I spoke of this from my experience of handling a bombardment of similar, insensitive questions - even though you know each asker is unrelated, at some point you're going to feel like snapping. 

For sure he wouldn't mind being filmed when ready, or being filmed among friends, but to a private Asian person, having a phone camera shoved right in your face when you're not ready, by a stranger, is actually quite offensive, there are adults who would get very, very angry at that. To us it's like wtf, we're not a criminal or a zoo animal to be filmed for your enjoyment, knowing that the film will be shared or played on loop later. Also we take respect and attention during personal interactions VERY seriously, like if you play with your phone while someone else is trying to talk to you / give you something, it will be seen as very rude. I think similar things happen here, Yuzu is giving you attention by signing your card, but you're not respecting the attention he is giving you by doing something else. Professional interviewing and filming is one thing, personal interaction and capacities is another, and the bond should be treated with utmost respect. That's how we would see things. 

Yuzu knows it's just fans, but from his expression, carriage and demeanour across all those videos, I felt a sense of annoyance towards the camera because he didn't smile at all, didn't greet the fan at all, and neither did he appear to be in a hurry, he just signed and left. No arigatou, no nodding head of acknowledgement, nothing. I would've done the same if I am reigning in my annoyance at the time. It's just me speaking from a general Asian culture where I live in. 

Speaking in generalities, there aren't very many Westerners that would be all that happy to be filmed like that either. And speaking as someone with strong religious beliefs myself, the kowtow picture is not just offensive but sacrilegious. I know it's meant to be a joke, it's just not something that should really be joked about. If Yuzu also has strong beliefs, which he seems to do, this picture actually has the potential to be very upsetting for him.

On 11/23/2018 at 2:17 AM, BWOZWaltz said:

Yuzu in Japan (Tokyo/Sendai)...

I know the diagnosis will be out soon and am difficult to be calm so I wanted to post something to cheer up. Also, while he's in Japan, I just want him to have as much fun as possible. The video is old but is one of my favourite Yuzu v food :D Watching Yuzu eating food makes me so happy :img_20: must be my maternal instinct:68468287: so eat up bby!! He will need to have good amount of protein for injury recovery (in this video, there are 3 different types of protein - egg/meat, tofu/soy and fish). He said 「卵かけご飯マジで幸せ」"Tamago kake gohan (TKG) maji de shiawase" - (Eating) TKG makes me really happy. He also said 至福 (the happiest). Nom nom nom...:10636614:

Now I’m hungry! I could eat everything on that tray. I don’t know where he went to eat, but I would be a frequent and happy customer. Thank you for posting this oldie but goodie.

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Speaking in generalities, there aren't very many Westerners that would be all that happy to be filmed like that either. And speaking as someone with strong religious beliefs myself, the kowtow picture is not just offensive but sacrilegious. I know it's meant to be a joke, it's just not something that should really be joked about. If Yuzu also has strong beliefs, which he seems to do, this picture actually has the potential to be very upsetting for him.

I think it is quite amazing how well Yuzu handles the adulation he receives although, as has been pointed out, he doesn't really like it.  When the adulation comes right after he has skated and the Poohs are raining down onto the ice, that is one thing.  For him that is something he appreciates because it is coming at a time and situation that is appropriate.  On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised that he is thankful for residing in Toronto where he can move about with relative anonymity.  In Japan his face is one of the very best known and it is quite impossible for him to remain anonymous.  As far as the kowtowing, I have to agree that the way it is framed does not seem to indicate it is meant humorously and I can understand how it can be easily misinterpreted.  Contrast that to that time in the 2015 GPF when Yuzu is awaiting yet another world record score and he sees Javi on the monitor and starts waving to him.  Javi responds by kowtowing but the grin he sports while doing it shows it is obviously meant to be funny and, indeed, it is.