General Yuzuru Chat

Under spoilers so as not to reignite the Seimei girl/CBC debate

Spoiler

I'm at work so I couldn't read all the points made in the giant debate about CBC coverage, so I'm just gonna say for me it boils down to one thing:

Publicly mocking someone for crying is horrible. Full stop. You're basically publicly humiliating them for a reaction they can't control. It doesn't matter why they were crying, it's not appropriate. So if CBC was in fact doing that, they deserve to be criticized.

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

And it is quite patronising to imply that criticisms of CBC (or NBC or whatever else) are from Asian non-native speakers of English who just don't understand the nuances. 

I never once implied that it was Asians. I simply said 'non-English-speaking'. It's patronising to assume that only the Asian ones deliver these criticisms.  

12 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I never once implied that it was Asians. I simply said 'non-English-speaking'. It's patronising to assume that only the Asian ones deliver these criticisms.  

Then perhaps you could direct your criticisms of these criticisms to the non-English-speaking fans where such criticisms are made? Unless your criticism of these non-English speakers were directed to those who are here, I fail to see the point of a post directly addressed to the posters here? If it's not meant for us, we don't need to be told to stop doing it, and if it is, then it is patronising.

Apologies for implying it's only patronising to Asian non-native speakers of English, it's actually patronising to all non-native speakers of English. 

Where are the non-English-speaking Hanyu fans who made unfair accusations about CBC as a whole because of this video (in English), by the way? Since you brought that up and gave an impassioned defence of the video and the organisation, perhaps it's only fair to ask you to tell us exactly what comments you did deem unfair to CBC. 

I would also like to add that it's possible for CBC to be a great organization overall yet have messed up on this one issue. I mean, it's a giant organization, it's going to make mistakes every once in a while. (As an American citizen, I would certainly trade some of our news organizations for it :13877886: aaaand that's all I'm gonna say about that lol.)

5 minutes ago, shanshani said:

I would also like to add that it's possible for CBC to be a great organization overall yet have messed up on this one issue. I mean, it's a giant organization, it's going to make mistakes every once in a while. (As an American citizen, I would certainly trade some of our news organizations for it :13877886: aaaand that's all I'm gonna say about that lol.)

Yeah. CBC might be great overall for some, but for this particular topic about Yuzu's fans, they've mocked them enough for us to say that they made mistakes, and they still continue to. I mean, look at that lady's face for crying out loud. So disgusted and all -_-

4 minutes ago, shanshani said:

True, I mean, even the newspapers and websites that I really like have screwed up here and there, and have to eat some humble pie once in a while. It's kind of inevitable in a big organisation made of many people with editorial decisions made by many different people at very different levels. Like, especially social media fluff clickbait things don't usually go that high up the chain before getting approval. Yuzu is prime clickbait in his sport. Maybe in winter sports in general, outside of ice hockey. Though I don't know enough about popularity of winter sports to say for sure lol I'm going by the Olympic Channel. 

17 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Then perhaps you could direct your criticisms of these criticisms to the non-English-speaking fans where such criticisms are made? Unless your criticism of these non-English speakers were directed to those who are here, I fail to see the point of a post directly addressed to the posters here? If it's not meant for us, we don't need to be told to stop doing it, and if it is, then it is patronising.

Apologies for implying it's only patronising to Asian non-native speakers of English, it's actually patronising to all non-native speakers of English. 

Where are the non-English-speaking Hanyu fans who made unfair accusations about CBC as a whole because of this video (in English), by the way? Since you brought that up and gave an impassioned defence of the video and the organisation, perhaps it's only fair to ask you to tell us exactly what comments you did deem unfair to CBC. 

No. I'm dropping this topic right here, because it's getting out of hand and wrecking this thread.

I still can't see anything offensive about that video. Although you're all saying it was a mockery of Yuzu fans, to my eyes it was not. It was a simple fluff piece, maybe not so well researched. Those facial expressions that you're all complaining about are a normal part of communication here, and nothing to be offended by. 

And that's it, I'm done. I will say no more. 

8 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

No. I'm dropping this topic right here, because it's getting out of hand and wrecking this thread.

I still can't see anything offensive about that video. Although you're all saying it was a mockery of Yuzu fans, to my eyes it was not. It was a simple fluff piece, maybe not so well researched. Those facial expressions that you're all complaining about are a normal part of communication here, and nothing to be offended by. 

And that's it, I'm done. I will say no more. 

Sure, we can agree to disagree. :) 

Moving on.

Is  it confirmed that Yuzu is in Japan? I wonder if he's having all the protein again. :lol: It was therapeutic, last time, imagining him power-eating protein with the murder stare on.

It's just a little funny how the Russian articles about Yuzu is so much higher in quality than American / CBC ones, even though most Yuzu materials are subbed in English. The Russians managed to point out his strengths, his character, what he is good at, and appreciate him for that across the biggest news platforms, among coaches and fans, even among people who don't skate. Here's Yuzu's intro card at Rostelecom Cup. Beats me if he ever gets this kind of description in US. 

Like you wouldn't see US Football directors telling his players "Yuzu's popularity cannot be explained by his talent alone. He has the strength and the character for that, and we should be like him tomorrow for our competition" like the Russian director did.  None of their biggest news agencies talked about Pooh. 

Here's some compiled comments from the figure skating community, and here's some compiled comments from the fans.  Yagudin and TAT both recognised that he is smart and reacted quickly when he failed to perform 4T-3T by attaching -1eu-3S instead, the Japanese TV analysed the changes in his FS layouts, and all CBC / US can think about his fans is poohs and controversial tweets. 

9 minutes ago, Salior said:

It's just a little funny how the Russian articles about Yuzu is so much higher in quality than American / CBC ones, even though most Yuzu materials are subbed in English. The Russians managed to point out his strengths, his character, what he is good at, and appreciate him for that across the biggest news platforms, among coaches and fans, even among people who don't skate. Here's Yuzu's intro card at Rostelecom Cup. Beats me if he ever gets this kind of description in US. 

Like you wouldn't see US Football directors telling his players "Yuzu's popularity cannot be explained by his talent alone. He has the strength and the character for that, and we should be like him tomorrow for our competition" like the Russian director did.  None of their biggest news agencies talked about Pooh. 

Here's some compiled comments from the figure skating community, and here's some compiled comments from the fans.  Yagudin and TAT both recognised that he is smart and reacted quickly when he failed to perform 4T-3T by attaching -1eu-3S instead, the Japanese TV analysed the changes in his FS layouts, and all CBC / US can think about his fans is poohs and controversial tweets. 

During the FS at CoR? I think the 4T-1lo-3S was his new planned combo, he did it during the 6-minute warmup, didn't he? I think he did because I remember realizing in that moment that the sequence was definitely not going to be there. I think his muscle memory kinda confused him a little after that when he popped his 3A into 1A. Right after he landed the popped 1A he tried to do something else that I think was him trying to go for -1lo-3S or whatever he could make of it with the momentum from a single axel but realised what he was doing and stopped. He had a sheepish smile on his face. 

1 minute ago, Salior said:

It's just a little funny how the Russian articles about Yuzu is so much higher in quality than American / CBC ones, even though most Yuzu materials are subbed in English. The Russians managed to point out his strengths, his character, what he is good at, and appreciate him for that across the biggest news platforms, among coaches and fans, even among people who don't skate. Like you wouldn't see US Football directors telling his players "Yuzu's popularity cannot be explained by his talent alone. He has the strength and the character for that, and we should be like him tomorrow for our competition" like the Russian director did.  None of their biggest news agencies talked about Pooh. 

Here's some compiled comments from the figure skating community, and here's some compiled comments from the fans.  Yagudin and TAT both recognised that he is smart and reacted quickly when he failed to perform 4T-3T by attaching -1eu-3S instead, the Japanese TV analysed the changes in his FS layouts, and all CBC / US can think about his fans is poohs. 

Yeah, I do feel like there's a lot of well, orientalism, when it comes to Western or at least Angloamerican coverage of Yuzu. Like, he's often covered more as a curiosity than a serious athlete. I think a lot of things contribute to it--one, a lot of people in the Angloamerican cultural sphere don't take figure skating, especially male figure skating, seriously as a sport because tbh a lot of the West has a kind of screwed up conception of masculinity and also a narrow conception of what counts as a sport. Second, Yuzu himself doesn't fit people's stereotypes of what an elite athlete looks like, both because of his race (even Asian American athletes in popular sports get kind of racist coverage sometimes) and his appearance, but he does fit people's stereotypes of "pretty Asian idol boy", so that's the lens they see him through. Third, treating him as a curiosity plays into the "Japanese people are so weird' trope that comes up every time there's an off-beat story about Japan.

Russian coverage doesn't have that, because even though I'm sure they have their own problems with gender and race stereotypes, they take figure skating seriously as a sport.

3 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

During the FS at CoR? I think the 4T-1lo-3S was his new planned combo, he did it during the 6-minute warmup, didn't he? I think he did because I remember realizing in that moment that the sequence was definitely not going to be there. I think his muscle memory kinda confused him a little after that when he popped his 3A into 1A. Right after he landed the popped 1A he tried to do something else that I think was him trying to go for -1lo-3S or whatever he could make of it with the momentum from a single axel but realised what he was doing and stopped. He had a sheepish smile on his face. 

Yea haha he was definitely going for 3A-1eu-3S for the last one. The 4T thing I read it from here (weibo translation), which I think is plausible. But no one knows for sure. 

TAT and Yagudin just used it as an example that you need a lot of brain power for FS, and Yuzu has that in plenty, by taking control of every situation on ice. 

4 minutes ago, Salior said:

Yea haha he was definitely going for 3A-1eu-3S for the last one. The 4T thing I read it from here (weibo translation), which I think is plausible. But no one knows for sure. 

TAT and Yagudin just used it as an example that you need a lot of brain power for FS, and Yuzu has that in plenty, by taking control of every situation on ice. 

That he does, I mean, what about the 4CC H&L? He winged the entire second half of his layout, changed it while skating that extremely complex programme! And didn't Zayak! 

Seriously though who else would even try to land a 1eu-3S from a 1A? Even with two healthy ankles. He could've managed at least 2T there if he'd been able to do even one rt to get it in his head properly. Amazing boy. 

3 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

That he does, I mean, what about the 4CC H&L? He winged the entire second half of his layout, changed it while skating that extremely complex programme! And didn't Zayak! 

That reminds me when some people expressed concern that Origin layout with 4Lo and 3Lo was a zayak risk. All I could think of was: "This is Yuzu, he won't zayak. He thinks too much to make a mistake like that. If he pops the 4Lo, he'll replace the 3Lo with something else." He did zayak once, a long time ago, but never again since then, I think.