General Yuzuru Chat

Could there perhaps be a different thread for tarot and superstitions? I think there’s more than enough to worry about based on facts at the moment. A lot of people are very worried, emotional, and sensitive right now and I’m not sure such speculation about the future is helpful.

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound rude or dismissive, I just wonder if it wouldn’t be better in its own thread so those who are interested can discuss it and those who find it upsetting can avoid it. 

Um, I actually don't find it that surprising that he's in Japan?

Overall, asian health systems for these things might be faster and more responsive than in North America. While I'm not sure how the waiting periods are in Canada, anyone from the US system can probably understand what I mean (haha...3 week waiting time, okay).  And if the medical treatment is complex, I imagine Yuzu would prefer it in a language he understands thoroughly so he can make the best judgment for himself. Besides, in Japan he's got family to monitor him (also think of the stress on his mother if she has to solo it in Canada with him).

Well...if he rests for 3 weeks-great time to catch up on university work, right  Mister Yuzuru "Just make sure it's turned in on time" Hanyu?

13 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Could there perhaps be a different thread for tarot and superstitions? I think there’s more than enough to worry about based on facts at the moment. A lot of people are very worried, emotional, and sensitive right now and I’m not sure such speculation about the future is helpful.

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound rude or dismissive, I just wonder if it wouldn’t be better in its own thread so those who are interested can discuss it and those who find it upsetting can avoid it. 

I replied to the initial discussion about it precisely because some people were concerned about this other reading that was done, and my point was that there's no need to worry about one person's interpretation of a reading. I also put the reading that I did under a cut so people could easily skip over it, and I had nothing more to say about it until someone asked me a direct question. I don't really anticipate it being an ongoing deep discussion about the topic. 

18 minutes ago, Xen said:

Um, I actually don't find it that surprising that he's in Japan?

Overall, asian health systems for these things might be faster and more responsive than in North America. While I'm not sure how the waiting periods are in Canada, anyone from the US system can probably understand what I mean (haha...3 week waiting time, okay).  And if the medical treatment is complex, I imagine Yuzu would prefer it in a language he understands thoroughly so he can make the best judgment for himself. Besides, in Japan he's got family to monitor him (also think of the stress on his mother if she has to solo it in Canada with him).

Well...if he rests for 3 weeks-great time to catch up on university work, right  Mister Yuzuru "Just make sure it's turned in on time" Hanyu?

There's that, plus his health insurance is most likely in Japan. 

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

About the CBC. There's something, I , as a Canadian, have been really surprised by since I became a Yuzu fan on the internet, and that is the level of sheer anger and hatred directed by non-English-speaking fans towards the CBC. I watch the CBC for sports all the time, and their coverage, while often held back by their lack of money (because they are government-funded), has always been positive, honest, straightforward, and as complete as they can make it. They're doing a really big, really difficult job with not enough money, staff or resources. And they don't just cover sports; they're a full network with  many, many responsibilities. They cover everything from local village news in the remote North to international wars and everything in between. 

They may not be perfect in their coverage of Yuzuru, but they are doing their best. They do not hate him; in fact he gets remarkably positive coverage from them (probably due to Kurt being a fan), and they do not try to diss him or put him down. I have seen so many posts by foreign fans knocking the CBC down because they didn't like the coverage, but not one of those people ever stops to consider that maybe their translation is bad, and that they are not correctly understanding what the CBC has said. Or they fail to realize that the CBC is, first and foremost, a news organization - they have to report the truth, even when said truth may be inconvenient for some. 

It profoundly hurts me that the CBC, a gem of Canadian life, part of the fabric of Canada, gets ripped to shreds over nothing, when they don't deserve it. 

As for this piece about Yuzu's fans, and the retweet thing: the CBC was being complimentary. They didn't have to do a piece on Yuzu's fans at all, they could have ignored their existence. But instead, they noticed that Yuzu's fans are an interesting news story on their own, and decided to interview some of them. There was no insult or mockery in any of the coverage; it was a gentle and kindly-worded article that I found sweet and interesting. Because it was intended to be sweet and interesting. 

Those who are offended by this, that is your choice,  but there is nothing in this coverage to take offense at. It was NOT meant that way. 

AS for the twitter post/ retweet: Either RT or don't, your choice. But don't think it was some cynical cheap trick to take advantage of fans for fame. The CBC has far better things to do, than that.

As a Canadian Yuzu fan, I'm very offended by how many non-Canadians hate my beloved CBC over nothing.

Please stop bashing them. 

Thank you. 

I admit I haven't watched the video yet, for two reasons. One is the comments on it that put me off, the other is that very often the portrayal of Yuzu fans is very cringeworthy, regardless of who's doing it. As a consequence, I actually don't get why CBC did a news bit on them. You're right they didn't have to and at least from what I heard, it has little to do with his skating, so what's the point? Though I will maybe revise that opinion if I watch the video. I believe an article or video on why Yuzu is so loved would be great, but you'd pretty much have to go into his whole life story to fully grasp that. And also to cover all types of fans. Because there are both those who are inspired by him as a person, impressed by hims as a skater, and indeed, some who are mostly into his looks.

(As a side note, in Helsinki, an older Japanese fan asked me what made me like Yuzu. After I told her I loved how graceful he was and how he flowed on the ice, and then that I also admired how strong he is as a person, even though he's younger than me, she asked me what about his looks. I laughed and said that's just bonus. At that point, she took my hand and said "As a Japanese fan of Yuzu, thank you." Made me wonder how many fans she heard gushing over his looks. And also really touched me. By the way, the whole exchange was in English. If Japanese fans want to speak to me in English, I do it, unless it seems like they'd be more comfortable in Japanese.)

Although I'm sure you didn't mean it to be so, I do however think that assuming some foreign fans hate on CBC because their English isn't good enough to understand what is being said/written is a tad patronizing. You don't have to be a native speaker of English to have very good comprehension and I'm sure there are many fans who expressed a negative view of this video in particular - because I personally can't remember another time when CBC was attacked; that's usually NBC more - who are fluent in English and understand rather well what is said.

As for CBC not having enough money, resources or staff, that's, of course, unfortunate and kudos to them for apparently doing a great job otherwise, but that's no excuse for bad research - if what other fans have said about this video being poorly researched is true. If you can't do it properly, especially if you pride yourself to be an objective news company, then don't do it at all, especially if you don't have to. I've worked very briefly as non-profit media, with no money and only myself as staff and I wanted to write articles on topics I was interested in and believed others would be, too, but when I realized that, for various reasons, I could not do proper research, I gave up. Because I'd rather not write anything than do it based on incomplete or possibly incorrect research.

On the other hand, I do agree that sometimes, some Yuzu fans can be a little oversensitive, but I honestly can't remember CBC ever being attacked for anything else. Most people appreciate their commentary and coverage, as far as I can remember.

As for Yuzu being in Japan, personally I think that should be indicative that GPF is off. It'd be pretty stupid to have him fly to Japan for diagnosis then send him back to Canada for GPF, when he could have gone straight to Canada. Especially if he stays for treatment. Although I suspect it might likely be more about just diagnosis, probably so he can fully understand it, too. However, the treatment for all of his really bad injuries he always received in Canada. I doubt he has to wait like the average Joe at the door of his local doctor. From what I remember, it's been said that in Canada sports medicine is very well developed and I'm sure Brian and TCC have a lot of great contacts in that field to ensure that Yuzu can get the best treatment available. That may or may not be at the same level as in Japan, however on ice recovery would be very hard to do in Japan - I'd really rather he doesn't do rehab by himself at midnight at Ice Rink Sendai and for that reason alone he's better off in Canada. So, for me, the longer he stays in Japan, the more it means he has to stay off the ice. I'd also prefer he was away from any kind of pressure that he might get in Japan, be it from media or JSF - whether it's to compete or to withdraw. In Canada there is no pressure whatsoever. Yes, it would suck to be away from his family on his birthday and it sucks for his mother, but... I don't know. I guess they'll set their own priorities.

25 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

They only get 1?  You would think the major perk of representing ANA is free flights.  Unless maybe if they're completely booked.

I was referring to the gift that ANA gave him after his 2nd  OGM recently. It was a first class ticket for him and his family anywhere in the world. He even joked that they will choose the most expensive destination there is. He usually travel business class if I’m not mistaken. 

Seeing how busy he is with media obligation, shows, training and competetion I think they haven’t used it yet. Either that or his family is too modest to use it up. 

Hey, I just remembered, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't CBC Olympics the same account that posted about that fanyu crying over Yuzu's loss to Nathan at CoR last year? Wasn't that a whole problem too? Though I don't remember what specifically it was about.

I mean I have no problems with CBC nor it's commentators (love ya Kurt) but I'm not liking whoever runs that CBC Olympics account.