General Yuzuru Chat

52 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Warning for toxic masculinity and author asshole-ish-ness. As much as I admire Yuzuru and understand his choice to skate at Rostelecom and think him courageous, skating while injured is NOT something to be encouraged and Jack is out there basically calling everyone a coward for not doing so because men should be manly tough men and brave through pain...

Wow this is such a bizarre article.. He really goes off on a tangent here. Just to quote the part that made me go flat-out "what":

"So many athletes in other sports will beg off at just the slightest hint of an injury these days. It has become an absolute disgrace in recent years. Take a look at the NBA if you want some reference.

But Hanyu is a different breed. He is old school and takes us back to the days when men were men and toughness was admired. Time and again he has answered the bell when he was injured."

I find it kind of funny for being so exaggerated and out of place but also very concerning :crazyshit2: 

56 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

So many athletes in other sports will beg off at just the slightest hint of an injury these days. It has become an absolute disgrace in recent years. Take a look at the NBA if you want some reference.

This is very talked about in football. All of the football fans I know (consider 98% of my country's population) say that the sport has changed - that the games were different 20-30 years ago because the whistle wasn't blown every 5 seconds for a foul or a fall or a fight between two or more players. I agree, the games did change. But I'd argue that it isn't because masculinity is lost, but because a lot of things have been lost, among which is definitely fairness and no-politics during the game. Instead of committing to be the best player you can be, you will take advantage of every possible time it seems like someone did you wrong. 

So I understand why coaches and sportsmen will look at Yuzuru and find a quality that is very lacking nowadays in other sports (or even the same sport lol). It's playing fair. Yuzuru plays fair. 

6 hours ago, Fay said:

Translating the message now. 

“Yuzuru Hanyu has many personal fans all around the world. Huge numbers of fans from Japan travel following Hanyu to all his competitions. This overwhelming love doesn’t come from nowhere. And just his talent isn’t enough to explain it. 

Yesterday Hanyu emerged for the medal ceremony on crutches and proved not only his fantastic fighting spirit, but his immens respect to his fans, who give him their love in the form of Winnie the Poohs. It’s only the combination of talent and the fighting spirit which can make a talented athlete a legend. A champion can become a champion only by surmounting obstacles. We, the current Russian champions, should remember that. Yesterday Hanyu reminded us about it. I wish the Russian football team to overcome the obstacles and proceed onto the League of Nations!” 

54 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

Wow this is such a bizarre article.. He really goes off on a tangent here. Just to quote the part that made me go flat-out "what":

"So many athletes in other sports will beg off at just the slightest hint of an injury these days. It has become an absolute disgrace in recent years. Take a look at the NBA if you want some reference.

But Hanyu is a different breed. He is old school and takes us back to the days when men were men and toughness was admired. Time and again he has answered the bell when he was injured."

I find it kind of funny for being so exaggerated and out of place but also very concerning :crazyshit2: 

Sigh Jack. My impression is that he wanted to counter the negative stuff circulating around Yuzuru's decision to skate with this, similar to what Minoru Sano did but from a different angle and unfortunately expressed in a stupid, ineffectual way... Would help if he didn't explain the decision as if it were only about Plushenko and fans, since we know from Yuzuru that it was even deeper than that.

I like that Jack sincerely admires Yuzu but I'm not a fan of him as a journalist or writer. The whole offending section should have been omitted, the rest is OK except for the clunky sentence that almost reads like Kazuki disappointed Japan by finishing third, and maybe too much of Jack's personal musings overall... but I guess that was the fan in him leaking out. Still he must have an editor??

It falls short of toxic masculinity for me because there is no glorifying violence or aggression as a masculine ideal, but it is sexist and a big turnoff. Pretty sure no one reading Ice Time expected or wanted a lecture on manliness from Jack! Also the comparison to NBA players is inappropriate IMO, those are contracted professionals making multi-million dollar decisions under a totally different kind of pressure. 

52 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

This is very talked about in football. All of the football fans I know (consider 98% of my country's population) say that the sport has changed - that the games were different 20-30 years ago because the whistle wasn't blown every 5 seconds for a foul or a fall or a fight between two or more players. I agree, the games did change. But I'd argue that it isn't because masculinity is lost, but because a lot of things have been lost, among which is definitely fairness and no-politics during the game. Instead of committing to be the best player you can be, you will take advantage of every possible time it seems like someone did you wrong. 

So I understand why coaches and sportsmen will look at Yuzuru and find a quality that is very lacking nowadays in other sports (or even the same sport lol). It's playing fair. Yuzuru plays fair. 

These are different issues altogether, though. Football has degenerated into a who whines or fakes the most on the field fest, yes, but that is different from what Jack implies about athletes who beg off competing at the 'slightest' hint of an injury and how back then men were more 'manly' and 'tough' and competed with injuries because otherwise was 'weak'.

It's sure...different...seeing Yuzu upheld as a paragon of traditional masculinity in English language media...the gender politics surrounding Yuzu are so weird sometimes, I'm glad Yuzu himself seems completely removed from it.

tbh, I find it off-putting that an actual newspaper published an editorial opining about Yuzu's decisions. It's one thing when fans give their opinions on forums, but lending an opinion the weight of a legitimate publication just seems invasive and overbearing :/  At the end of the day they're his personal decisions, and it's not like he's a kid. He's an adult and has been for some time, and is allowed to set his own priorities

17 minutes ago, xeyra said:

These are different issues altogether, though. Football has degenerated into a who whines or fakes the most on the field fest, yes, but that is different from what Jack implies about athletes who beg off competing at the 'slightest' hint of an injury and how back then men were more 'manly' and 'tough' and competed with injuries because otherwise was 'weak'.

Mmh, I didn't read the article and I'm sure Jack must have expressed himself in the worst of fashion. In any case, I can see people trying to explain (and sometimes fail) just what is so heroic and right and beautiful about Yuzuru. It's quite a task! 

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

but because a lot of things have been lost, among which is definitely fairness and no-politics during the game. Instead of committing to be the best player you can be, you will take advantage of every possible time it seems like someone did you wrong. 

Footballers really be like this :1:

Spoiler

hd_713760fb-218f-4abf-bb5d-894f09b5fb95_giphy.gif [cr]

[cr]

OT

Spoiler

But this reminds me of when I'm playing fetch w my dog and I pretend to throw the ball giphy.gif [x]

The trouble with Jack's article, IMO, is that rather than being a reporting of facts, it's an editorial. Jack, please return to journalistic objectivity. We know you love Yuzuru, but you're paid to be a journalist, and that's not the same as being a fan.

And by the way, anyone who follows both soccer and rugby will understand why Jack has such an opinion about Yuzu's toughness. I think it would have been more to the point to note that even with a sprained ankle, none of his competitors could hold a candle to Yuzu.

4 minutes ago, Tee said:

Footballers really be like this :1:

Reveal hidden contents

hd_713760fb-218f-4abf-bb5d-894f09b5fb95_giphy.gif [cr]

[cr]

OT

Hide contents

But this reminds me of when I'm playing fetch w my dog and I pretend to throw the ball giphy.gif [x]

OMG I'M CHOKING THE FIRST GIF

(Also who's that Maradona in the last one omg he's so good) 

4 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

And by the way, anyone who follows both soccer and rugby will understand why Jack has such an opinion about Yuzu's toughness. I think it would have been more to the point to note that even with a sprained ankle, none of his competitors could hold a candle to Yuzu.

As a person who lives in a country in which a demonstration was held several months ago as a sign of sympathy toward a footballer from another country who was injured and leave the match and resulted in the loss of his team (I know this is convoluted but sadly this was really happened) I can understand.