General Yuzuru Chat

10 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

I think "Lisfranc joint" is a typo because the source doesn't say anything about it. The diagnosis hasn't changed from yesterday.

By the way, I revised my post about the diagnosis again. Deeply sorry for inaccuracy.

:bow:

Thank you for clearing it up. I was surprised to suddenly read lisfranc again. And thank you so much for your previous post as well!

@Vulnavia:

Hmm, a bit of thought on your readings. I'm hiding it since it's not exactly happy thoughts.

Spoiler

When it comes to strategy, the issue is to win the war, you don't have to win each battle.

Yuzu needs to figure out which one is his "war" and which are his battles. It's again an issue of prioritization, and deciding which takes center stage.  And let's not get into "big war" versus "little war."

In my opinion, if I were Yuzu, the war is worlds. Except for olympics, worlds is where the war is. Secondary battles are GPF, GP series, and whether he likes it or not, getting new jumps.

But in order to win the war- World's medal- he needs to choose his battles wisely. So perhaps the question is for him, a decision that he may consider at any other time, cowardly, unlikely, uncharacteristic etc. What I am saying is that perhaps he needs to tune it back a bit and again, go with trusty 4S and 4T as his staple quads, and use his 3A as his weapon of choice. He won the olympics with them only, and so far the men are all struggling with stamina issues, that we've yet to see many clean quads in the long.

What I would do if I were him, and thinking of this more holistically is what the ultimate goals are this season: if my goal is to peak at worlds and win, then it's perfectly fine that until I must, I do not put in any jump other than the 4S and 4T. I play with my layout a bit to see what I could earn, maximum, with my stable jumps. Then work in the 3F and 3Lz to have a bit more room to manuver. Then work on my stamina. Then work on the older quads I missed, such as 4Lo. Then new jumps 4A only get trained if I have time. Health and recovery is primary importance.

That is the "smaller war." The bigger war, and the one I think people are pressuring him to answer is will he go to 2022. If his answer is yes, then his entire strategy for 4 years will change, and the war will be Beijing 2022, with even worlds for this season being a "smaller war." Choose which ones you need to one wisely, and the ones you lose make sure you win the PR front is my suggestion. What I mean by this is, even if you don't win, make sure you make a mark-somewhat like he lost Rostelcom cup 2017 to Nathan, but he got a 4Lz. The 4Lz marks him as a threat and still in contention. But what his team decides to do, they MUST make up their minds on how long they wish to stay competitve because that will change your tactics the entire way.

@sweetwater:

You're on the way to becoming a medical translator!

But thank you so so much for the translation and double checking. With more news, and information, I have a better idea of timeline and it's actually more comforting than the NHK 17 incident. =)

48 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Thank you for clearing it up. I was surprised to suddenly read lisfranc again. And thank you so much for your previous post as well!

I was surprised to read Lisfranc too, thinking another injury was found since yesterday. Thank god it wasn't.

26 minutes ago, Xen said:

@Vulnavia:

Hmm, a bit of thought on your readings. I'm hiding it since it's not exactly happy thoughts.

Reveal hidden contents

When it comes to strategy, the issue is to win the war, you don't have to win each battle.

Yuzu needs to figure out which one is his "war" and which are his battles. It's again an issue of prioritization, and deciding which takes center stage.  And let's not get into "big war" versus "little war."

In my opinion, if I were Yuzu, the war is worlds. Except for olympics, worlds is where the war is. Secondary battles are GPF, GP series, and whether he likes it or not, getting new jumps.

But in order to win the war- World's medal- he needs to choose his battles wisely. So perhaps the question is for him, a decision that he may consider at any other time, cowardly, unlikely, uncharacteristic etc. What I am saying is that perhaps he needs to tune it back a bit and again, go with trusty 4S and 4T as his staple quads, and use his 3A as his weapon of choice. He won the olympics with them only, and so far the men are all struggling with stamina issues, that we've yet to see many clean quads in the long.

What I would do if I were him, and thinking of this more holistically is what the ultimate goals are this season: if my goal is to peak at worlds and win, then it's perfectly fine that until I must, I do not put in any jump other than the 4S and 4T. I play with my layout a bit to see what I could earn, maximum, with my stable jumps. Then work in the 3F and 3Lz to have a bit more room to manuver. Then work on my stamina. Then work on the older quads I missed, such as 4Lo. Then new jumps 4A only get trained if I have time. Health and recovery is primary importance.

That is the "smaller war." The bigger war, and the one I think people are pressuring him to answer is will he go to 2022. If his answer is yes, then his entire strategy for 4 years will change, and the war will be Beijing 2022, with even worlds for this season being a "smaller war." Choose which ones you need to one wisely, and the ones you lose make sure you win the PR front is my suggestion. What I mean by this is, even if you don't win, make sure you make a mark-somewhat like he lost Rostelcom cup 2017 to Nathan, but he got a 4Lz. The 4Lz marks him as a threat and still in contention. But what his team decides to do, they MUST make up their minds on how long they wish to stay competitve because that will change your tactics the entire way.

@sweetwater:

But thank you so so much for the translation and double checking. With more news, and information, I have a better idea of timeline and it's actually more comforting than the NHK 17 incident. =)

Being Yuzu fan makes us become familiar with unexpected things, such as high-performance audio equipment and mascots from all over the world...

4 minutes ago, Salior said:

guys I've heard people spreading that Kobayashi hid information about Yuzu's injury so JSF wouldn't lose sponsors. I need to know if this is true or not!! Sorry I'm a little upset, I've liked her for quite a while now 

You mean the statement that he is still trying to aim for GPF?

I think all their statements so far are pretty standard fare for anything from any official governing body, and the fact he has until Dec 3 to WD, is pretty normal, even last year. It's not her position, nor Yuzu's to make any such statements-of his official injury status, of his WD and healing period etc.  It's just protocol, not whether or not she hid info.

(besides, it's pretty telling that JSF had a meeting and made statements today about the team selection criteria and reminded everyone that other than nationals, there are exceptions criterias for selection to the team).

1 hour ago, Xen said:

@Vulnavia:

Hide contents

@sweetwater:

Spoiler

I agree with most of your assessment. I believe that much like NHK was last year, this will be a setback that will make them - well, him, since he makes all decisions - re-analyze everything and prioritize based on goals. What the goals are and what steps he'll take remains to be seen. But given how the Olympics went, I think he knows how to go about it. As sad as it was, NHK was a huge lesson and one that he will probably need from now on.

To get even more negative - so skip if you don't want to think in those terms - I think that ankle will never be 100% again. It will likely be very fragile and easy to hurt. I hate it when he blames himself for falling and things like that, but in a way I get it. He has to perfect his technique to such a level that falls become extremely unlikely. And not out of sheer perfectionism, but because he has little other choice. If he fell and landed badly as much as others probably do, he probably wouldn't last much longer. That's my biggest worry about his injuries and one I feared was somewhat confirmed by this incident. Although whether it's really true or not remains to be seen.

As for the long term goal... Honestly, I think if he really goes for 4A, Beijing is unlikely. I'm not saying doing both is impossible. A perfect 4A as Yuzu surely wants will take time to stabilize, even if he might land it sooner than we think. If it takes him until Beijing, surely he'll go and he'll go to win. But I think he will have to choose between the two as his main long term goal. So far, it seems he has chosen 4A, but depending on the ankle, that might change. On the other hand, if he goes for 4A, then I personally think he might just want to get it asap, while the ankle still holds.

All in all, I do hope things aren't as bad as I fear, but, either way, I'm sure he will always choose the options that give him the best chances to achieve his goals. On that, I trust him, even if maybe, sometimes, we might not understand his choices or his goals...

14 minutes ago, Salior said:

guys I've heard people spreading that Kobayashi hid information about Yuzu's injury so JSF wouldn't lose sponsors. I need to know if this is true or not!! Sorry I'm a little upset, I've liked her for quite a while now 

When and how do they say she did that? Seriously, Yuzu never reveals his injuries. He is firmly against it. If she had announced it despite that, then people would be right to feel outraged...

5 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I agree with most of your assessment. I believe that much like NHK was last year, this will be a setback that will make them - well, him, since he makes all decisions - re-analyze everything and prioritize based on goals. What the goals are and what steps he'll take remains to be seen. But given how the Olympics went, I think he knows how to go about it. As sad as it was, NHK was a huge lesson and one that he will probably need from now on.

To get even more negative - so skip if you don't want to think in those terms - I think that ankle will never be 100% again. It will likely be very fragile and easy to hurt. I hate it when he blames himself for falling and things like that, but in a way I get it. He has to perfect his technique to such a level that falls become extremely unlikely. And not out of sheer perfectionism, but because he has little other choice. If he fell and landed badly as much as others probably do, he probably wouldn't last much longer. That's my biggest worry about his injuries and one I feared was somewhat confirmed by this incident. Although whether it's really true or not remains to be seen.

As for the long term goal... Honestly, I think if he really goes for 4A, Beijing is unlikely. I'm not saying doing both is impossible. A perfect 4A as Yuzu surely wants will take time to stabilize, even if he might land it sooner than we think. If it takes him until Beijing, surely he'll go and he'll go to win. But I think he will have to choose between the two as his main long term goal. So far, it seems he has chosen 4A, but depending on the ankle, that might change. On the other hand, if he goes for 4A, then I personally think he might just want to get it asap, while the ankle still holds.

All in all, I do hope things aren't as bad as I fear, but, either way, I'm sure he will always choose the options that give him the best chances to achieve his goals. On that, I trust him, even if maybe, sometimes, we might not understand his choices or his goals...

When and how do they say she did that? Seriously, Yuzu never reveals his injuries. He is firmly against it. If she had announced it despite that, then people would be right to feel outraged...

It is a misunderstanding, please don't spread it further. Ppl were just hating on her because the news translation of her saying the GPF withdrawal date is 3rd Dec came out after the translation of JSF's decision for him to aim for the Worlds. But actually the article itself came out 9 hours BEFORE the JSF statement, so likely Kobayashi was just saying what she knows then and is just hoping the best for Yuzu. 

She's been around since Yuzu was at Sochi, and she's always been on his side, that's why I sought confirmation. I'm just angry at people making speculations like this, when it's Hashimoto who yelled at Yuzu during Sochi cuz she couldn't get over being a Dai stan. Hashimoto calmed down, but yea she was the controversial one, not Kobayashi, Kobayashi's always so nice and supporting Yuzu, analysing the scores with Yuzu/Brian/Ghislain after the CoR SP and stuff

Q: Were you frightened when Yuzuru fell at the morning practice on Saturday?

A: Yes, I knew instantly it was not good. I remembered what happened to him before the Olympics. I hoped Yuzuru's injury was not that bad. Luckily, that was the case....

Q: You've mentioned perfectionism. Do you have to be born with this trait or is it possible to train it?

A: Interesting question. I think you hae to be born with it. But Javier Fernandez is an excellent example of how to train it. Hanyu is on another level, it's like he came to us from space.

Consecutive GP series victories. Yuzuru Hanyu’s reasons for skating the FS with an injury at the Cup of Russia

translated by nanoka12

It is unmistakably a ligament injury, and the doctor told me that 3 weeks of rest was needed. Not just the GPF, but considering the conditioning period, Japanese nationals would also be difficult and it became such that I had to make a choice.  Therefore, after considering what I want to do and what to cut away, I thought there’s only today. There was the consideration that this was Russia which is an important place to me, and also that as the things I have done in training until here are in some way significant things to me, there was what could be described as “I do not want to give up here”, and also that I wanted to somehow show the fruits of my training even just a little.

I also agree with the translator's tags.

#he didn't mention it here but russia is also where he won his first GPF medal in 2012  

#and of course the olympic gold medal in sochi  

#he also said some years ago that the first time he was able to perform his donut spin with one arm raised was while practicing in russia  

#when he went to bobrin and bestemianova for help with choreography  

#it is very much like him to place great importance on and be thankful to this special place  

#to the people who have inspired him or helped him in some way and to remember and acknowledge them even many years later  

#especially in a season about going back to his origins  

#in this place at this competition and in front of these people  

#faced with the choices he had it is understandable why he chose to skate  

#even if conventional wisdom does not understand  

#but if you look back at the path he has taken he has defied conventional wisdom countless times  

#and it is part of what makes him who he is  

#he made his choices with full understanding of the consequences and he confronts the consequences without self pity or bitterness  

#and to me that is inspiring in itself  

#heal well soon bb :)

#remember: never underestimate mr hanyu 

4 minutes ago, Salior said:

It is a misunderstanding, please don't spread it further. Ppl were just hating on her because the news translation of her saying the GPF withdrawal date is 3rd Dec came out after the translation of JSF's decision for him to aim for the Worlds. But actually the article itself came out 9 hours BEFORE the JSF statement, so likely Kobayashi was just saying what she knows then and is just hoping the best for Yuzu. 

She's been around since Yuzu was at Sochi, and she's always been on his side, that's why I sought confirmation. I'm just angry at people making speculations like this, when it's Hashimoto who yelled at Yuzu during Sochi cuz she couldn't get over being a Dai stan. Hashimoto calmed down, but yea she was the controversial one, not Kobayashi, Kobayashi's always so nice and supporting Yuzu, analysing the scores with Yuzu/Brian/Ghislain after the CoR SP and stuff

I still don't really get how people could jump to such conclusions... Also, even the JSF statement isn't a decision. The decision is Yuzu's and his alone. JSF are only saying that if he withdraws, he'll most likely still make the Worlds team and that they would prefer he focus on that, instead of GPF or Nationals, which aren't that important. The decision to go or withdraw from both of those, however, is Yuzu's. Or it'd better be...