General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, 4Nessie said:

"Even TSL agrees he should have been above Sergei." 

:banginghead::banginghead::banginghead:

People are taking them seriously!!! Why!!!

wait wait stop everything , WHO said that , like I can't even understand how someone on tv could said that and being serious . :headdesk:

6 minutes ago, SydneyH said:

wait wait stop everything , WHO said that , like I can't even understand how someone on tv could said that and being serious . :headdesk:

No no, that was a written comment on YT, not on TV. Gosh, hearing that from an actual commentator would kill me. :13877886:

(And yes, I realize it could've been a TSL promotion right there...)

3 minutes ago, Yuazz said:

Can we not speaking about t*l anymore? I feel a bit uncomfortable reading the discussion about them. I don't like them either, but I prefer to discuss a good thing about yuzu here instead. :dontdothistome:

Let's spread the good vibe. Here,  have a beautiful swanyu 

Oh yes, please!

And I am sorry for that topic. :81:

Spreading further.

10 minutes ago, Yuazz said:

Can we not speaking about t*l anymore? I feel a bit uncomfortable reading the discussion about them. I don't like them either, but I prefer to discuss a good thing about yuzu here instead. :dontdothistome:

When the topics on this thread are getting crazy, there's usually an explanation: The kittyspace is about to make appearance soon and people are getting edgy and anxious and impatient to see him. :D

It is hard to be calm and discuss happy things when you feel like you're about to explode. :10742290:

4 minutes ago, Yuazz said:

The swanyu that gives me hope no matter what! My favorite swanyu, every bit of it edged etched into my mind and heart forever!

Seriously, this is what I watch when I can't even get up from bed because of the sads. It has never failed to give me strength...

Also, a stupid little detail that does me in...THAT HUGE SPARKLE BEFORE THE FOCUS BECOMES CRISP :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

1 minute ago, vanadiezz said:

When the topics on this thread are getting crazy, there's usually an explanation: The kittyspace is about to make appearance soon and people are getting edgy and anxious and impatient to see him. :D

It is hard to be calm and discuss happy things when you feel you're about to explode. :10742290:

I'm not yet recovering from too much Helsinki contents ..heck I'm not even finished to dig all content yet rostelecom coming soon.. :13877886:

I mean, I'm happy to see yuzu again. I shouldn't complain! OK I'm ready, come yuzu! Come Rostelecom cup! :hachimaki:

12 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

(Btw, we should add this, just to be sure... :11135030:)

Tbh I thought haru yo koi never topped swanyu but I was wrong. Now I'm addicted to it. You have no idea how many times I watched it yesterday. And now you bring it again here, I couldn't resist to watch and watch again. It's a good thing to start my day with Sakura fairy Hanyu :tumblr_inline_n0o1ffBcXo1qid2nw:

Edit: I'm not yet praising the pianist here. We should give more credit to the pianist, Shinya Kiyozuka-san. I swear his version of haru yo koi makes me cry! It was so beautiful. It's so great to hear that music with yuzu skating to it. Ugh totally magical!! I'm in love!! 

54 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Did Dave really publicly say that they quit criticizing Yuzu for business reasons?  I feel like such a fool - I thought Dave genuinely turned his opinion around.  Jonathon never pretended to like Yuzu but Dave's been so much more positive - judging by his facial expressions, he even seems annoyed when Jonathon would criticize Yuzu.  But maybe the pursed lips and wide eyes were just because Dave was worried about fan reaction to what Jonathon said - I did notice that Jonathon was nicer in the Helsinki review so I guess Dave must have finally drilled the business model into Jonathan's head.

Sorry for my poor English. I didn't realize acknowledging means publicly saying something. My bad.

I don't think D would ever actually say it but his attitude has clearly changed. I'd like to think it's genuine but I'm not so convinced, yet anyway.

7 minutes ago, Summer said:

I don't think D would ever actually say it but his attitude has clearly changed. I'd like to think it's genuine but I'm not so convinced, yet anyway.

I think you're right to be very skeptical about it. I noticed the change in tone too and the other possible reason for it, I think, is that Dave is friendly with people like Doug Haw and is able to get some access that way to things that are happening at TCC. He probably doesn't want his sources of TCC news and gossip to dry up, so he's trying to be careful not to spend too much time bashing TCC skaters. 

10 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

Well, I don't connect the GOE with the crossovers, but if you just saw the TR score, you'd expect a lot more. There's a lot about Shoma's skating to enjoy, he is fast and smooth and precise with his blades and his 3A is quite lovely. If the judging could reflect what we see, we would probably end up seeing more, he'd become better, and the whole process of watching figure skating wouldn't be so infuriating. Goes for a lot of people.

Even Yuzu's Origin tbh. Knowing from media day footage what a lot of it was supposed to be, I would've given him lower TR for not executing his transitions well enough, too. :P  (ETA: By that I mean I would hold GPF Seimei and Helsinki H&L as the gold standard for 10s in components. Everybody, including Yuzu, should get judged to that standard according to their performance on the day.) 

b-but judges didn't considered H&L the golden standard:smiley-sad021: 

*still bitterly bemoaning those 97 PCS*

btw I wanted to talk about Origin's 'reduced complexity' in Helsinki, I'll do it in more detail in the Origin thread (one day:P), but imo the most glaring thing was that what was there didn't looked executed with full committment...'cause saving energy to complete the program...but tbh other than sit twizzles gone, arching back gone and the obvious changes in the ChSq due to different placing of elements (what he did between solo 3A and hydroblade is of course gone now:crybaby:) most of Origin's content was still there... sure, what's missing were awesome elements, 'big' elements that stood out and left an impression, but it's not like Yuzu dropped all his steps and did only crossovers...especially in the second half, he's still doing a lot between jumps, before 3F3T and before 3A combo...

5 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But what you said here about Shoma having charisma and using his charisma to cover his errors: I'd say the problem is the opposite. To me, Shoma skates like a textbook, and shows about the same amount of soul as one, in his competition pieces. I actually prefer when things go a little off in his performances because then you get to see something of his character. It's not that I want him to make errors, exactly. It's that I want to see his character shine through all the perfect skating. Right now it doesn't.

under spoiler for OT

Spoiler

interesting view, and maybe that's the reason I often feel uninterested in his competitive programs...I enjoy some of the EX more, and actually my faves were not choreographed by Mihoko, so I still don't know if I'm just not compatible with Mihoko's brand of choreo or the way Shoma skates in comp...

btw I don't really like Shoma' 3A, he keeps his arms pretty close to his body and the step up isn't big, but it's consistent and otherwise quite good, just lacks for me the 'impressive part' of the most beutiful 3As of some other men. Personal taste. Still, a better-looking 3A than Vincent's who has the strangest technique, he kinda keeps his knees bent middair:tumblr_inline_mzx91uuLRI1r8msi5:

Shoma's 4T is pretty now, toe tap is light:tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

4F in NHK did have less blade and less PR, tho it's still up to 180 which on a Flip is a lot, but the way he swings his leg to tap and in general his whole body position in that jumps don't looks good to me like at all. He's working to improve the jump, but it's still not what I'd call a good jump, nor a pretty one. 4T is much, much, much prettier, and it wasn't that pretty before, so things might change for 4F too:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

re: T*L

under spoiler since discussion moved on

Spoiler

As I'm a petty fanyu, I prefer not giving them my clicks. If there is anything outrageous or interesting, it will usually leak to twitter anyway so I'll just roll my eyes at their nonsense or side-eye them...

Probably my laziness and general weariness to hone my english listening skills through podcasts(*) have protected me form falling their prey :biggrin: when I was learning I dived on everything written, I found forums and then blogs and only watched a few T*L interviews bacause Yuzu

It's a pity tho, they did some very nice interviews with TCC coaches and choreographers..I remember DW, Tracy...but, me being a petty fanyu, since when I learned that the T*L team wasn't nice at all, I click once, I pause, I download and I don't need to give them views when I want to rewatch the content I'm interested in (like interviews to TCC team).

I find particularly bad that T*L use Yuzuru's name and thumbnails to promote their videos. It's shameless exploitation of both Yuzuru and his fandom and it makes me aven a pettier towards them:dancingpooh:

Also, to people who need weekly recaps on FS, there are the InTheLoop weekly podcasts. Sure, there are still lots of opinions and one can agree or disagree, but it's fun (and no mean comments). I also like that there are so many voices :tumblr_inline_n2pjd3guzE1qdlkyg:

*LOL I even went for english transcripts of podcasts in my own language, it's just much less time consuming and you can more easily find what you're searching for... so thank you InTheLoop crew for the transcripts  @kaerb :thanks:

3 hours ago, vanadiezz said:

Have been curious about one thing though. Shoma botched his jumps on second part of his FP this season. On triples no less, giving a real idea somehow that the 30 secs reduction is hard for skaters. But, all this time I thought Yuzu's the one with less stamina because of his asthma. Yet, he's managed to stand on his feet! Has his stamina really improved that much under Brian, or is it all from will's strength?

his stamina improved but I wouldn't say it's better than skaters who traditionally had better stamina...it probably has more to do with Yuzuru's short set up for jumps.

Other skaters still need their long prep before jumps, that's time they can't cut, so the remaining time for everything else is quite reduced, hence they can't take much breath during the program compared to last season (hence the use of ChSq to take that breath)...

of course Yuzuru has less time for other elements, too, compared to previous season, but at least he can chip away some precious seconds here and there thanks to his shorter prep.

Just check the 10 seconds before the three-jumps combo Shoma and Yuzuru do, 3A-1Eu-triple:

Shoma uses those 10 seconds to go up the rink to gain speed, then he goes down the rink as he enters his 3A from usual long backward glide.

Yuzuru finishes his kinda-spiral, does some steps, a couple crossovers, and enters his 3A with counter rather quickly...it's still the same 10 seconds but Yuzuru can fill his 10 seconds with more varied skating content (and those 10 seconds look shorter to the viewer)... Yuzuru doesn't need to do many consecutive crossovers to gain speed before and after jumps, he can do other stuff. Maybe Yuzu's mentality has improved too, and in Helsinki he managed to pace himself better than he did for example in COR17 Seimei (let's also not forget he was already dying mid-program in ACI, and as has been pointed out he took his time to recover before getting up in Helsinki, he was spent).

All of this leaves the impression that Yuzuru has more stamina, tho in truth I think he probably has pretty much the usual stamina for this time of the year and it's still not his best (as we can see from the lower quality of his jumps in Helsinki Origin compared to those in Helsinki H&L, when his stamina and general condition were likely at its top). It's just that the other skaters' stamina looks much worse because of time reduction:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:

everytime I see new Yuzumoticon :dontdothistome: :hihi: I swoon a little:softYuzu:

thank you mods:10742289:

also, I still havent's officially appreciated the new theme, I love it:img_21:

ETA: tho now I have hard time recognizing the logo when switching tabs :headdesk: that PH looks so different:laughing:

Since we're on this topic of commentary, I just want to say I wish commentators can praise/comment more on the program components in skaters' programs. In the past when I started watching figure skating because of Yuzu, I loved watching his programs with commentaries especially from B.ESP, CBC, and NBC because they would literally praise Yuzu to the high heavens when he skated clean. But then over time, I've realized there's more to his skating than just those praises. I still like watching with commentary sometimes because it's nice to have others praise him when he skates well. But I also began to realize how sometimes commentary can take away the beauty of his skating when they're being redundant. Also, these mere praises often surround his technical excellence or world records/titles. I wish they can talk more about what makes Yuzu's programs/japanese ladies' so great other than just commenting on his jumps when he executed them flawlessly. Yes, they sometimes talk about how he's a total package but like explain it, go in depth on it. Talk about the speed or positions of their spins, talk about the choreo/composition, the transitions, their turns, their footworks, their interpretation of the music/facial expression, their skating skills, their ice coverage...I wish they'd talk more about this so viewers can learn. Because essentially, I find PCs and TES are codependent in making a program great and balance. That's why we love commentators like Charlie White and Max/Angelo who pretty much dissect the program more accurately and show true appreciation for what the skaters do on the ice. I learn way more over a short span of time listening to their analyses than from all the vague superlatives other commentators say like "beautiful" "the best skater ever". Yes, those are nice to hear when referring to Yuzu as an artist, but talk more about his program itself when he's skating to it.