General Yuzuru Chat

Interesting discussion about Origin. For me it's always hard to find what meaning is behind the programme/what thoughts are put into it (well, reading people is surely not my strong point))) until a creator talks about it or portrays a certain character. When the programme is more abstract like Origin for me it's more about mood and music. And I adore first jumps on the beats and how later it has natural slow and fast parts. And also I love when Yuzu gives this I'd say not dark but strong/dominating vibe. It's a total opposite to light Otonal. Of course for a programme to have a full impression Yuzu needs more sharp and strong movements (like at practice) but I'm sure he'll get there))

On 11/6/2018 at 8:40 PM, lajoitko said:

I want to share very personal story. It is kind of sad and if you have lost someone very recently, you probably don´t want to read further. This is also very long, so feel free to skip this.

Hide contents

I have watched figure skating pretty much all of my life, but when I first saw Yuzu on tv, I became his fan. It was Cup of China 2011. I lived with my mother because her health wasn´t the best and she needed my help. My mother couldn´t understand at all what had happened. I think she thought that I had become crazy. When it was competition weekend she just rolled her eyes because I spent so much time watching "some Japanese boy".

When I bought the tickets for the WC 2017 she began to take things more seriously. We had to plan her care for the time that I was in Helsinki, and I know that she watched the competition on tv. After that her attitude changed. She no longer rolled her eyes when I said it was "a Yuzu-weekend". We started to plan our schedule together so that I could watch the competition. She bagan to ask how was the competition and I started to tell her more about Yuzu and show her some pictures and videos.

In January 2018 my mother got sick very seriously and before I could even understand the situation, she passed away. One of the last things she said to me was: "You will be fine. Think about positive things. Think about Yuzu." Her funeral was the day before Yuzu arrived in Korea. The Olympics and the events after that helped me so much. Smiling and happy Yuzu has the best healing power.

When ISU announced about Helsinki GP, I knew right away that I was going there. The only bad thing was that it was held in the same weekend when we have a tradition to go to church to remember our loved ones and light a candle for those who have passed away during the year. I was very sad that I couldn´t attend this but my aunt promised to go there so I traveled to Helsinki.

I have a bad habbit of second guessing myself, and in Helsinki I was asking myself if I was doing the right thing. I was little bit sad and thinking about my mother a lot. I was sitting in the area where Yuzu does the combination in SP and starts the step-sequence. I had priviledge to see that moment three times during the practices and competition, and every time that part of the program moved me to tears. After Yuzu´s perfect SP I found myself thinking that it was the right place for me to be, and that my mother would be so happy to see my happiness. Maybe I needed Yuzu in my life to be able to survive this period of my life. I am so happy that I did go to Helsinki. It was one of the best experiences in my life.

My friends and relatives know that I have intrest in figure skating but they don´t know how bad it is. I am a very private person and for me being a Yuzu-fan is a very private thing. Now I just had this feeling that I want to share my story with people who maybe understand what I am talking about.

Had a tear or two as I read this.  As a mother myself I am happy if my children are happy and enjoying life and what they are doing.  I know your Mum was the same from the way you write about her. X :img_21:

12 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

Sometimes I feel legit sad for Yuzu. For everyone else, he is the standard, the leader, the one the world has to beat. If they beat Yuzu, its basically because he gifted to them with his mistakes and they would go on to make history. But with Yuzu he has to always beat himself in order to continue his reign. How can a perfect Yuzu beat a perfect Yuzu? Get a perfect GOE for a 4T3A seq without a hop in between? Do a 4A? Break his historical world records? Like dangg all monster goals for someone who could have retired by now with such a glorious career. But when we watched him after ACI, we know he still has so much fire that is not less than before. I honestly think and hope he will go on for Beijing 2022. Such talent should not stop and the world would be honored to get to watch him for another 4 years. (also watching him skating is one of the only joys I have over the past years and now.)

@lajoitko

Spoiler

I’m so sorry for your loss! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with this community! The bond and the memories between you and your mom will become source of comfort. My deepest condolences! There’s no other love like mother’s love and it will continue to stay with you. Be strong and don’t hesitate to reach out. We are your friends! ( I cried at your mom’s last words! She loves you so much! ) Take care.:10742289:

22 hours ago, 4Nessie said:

I can totally feel the power, even with those early versions, and not at all as a negative power. I feel his power as exciting, as an electric charge before a thunder. I like it and I know that by the end of the season, I will love it.

It was love at first sight for me, as soon as he revealed the magnificent costume! Meticulous as he is, I believe Origin has a clear story and meaning behind each move ( just like the analyse of H&L with nuances carrying profound meanings that Shae-Lynn released in print later on) watching him at ACi I felt the power, the mystery, the intensity, all of which is attributes to Yuzu.  And his movements enhance all those feelings; the powerful betsi quads, the fast sit twizzles :sadPooh:, please bring back, the arched back with the snap -back head( why it’s g9ne In Helsinki???) and he brought back LGC hair style!!!  I love them so much. And I trust Yuzu will elevate this program to different level once he perfects it. I don’t really over analyze Origin but I love and enjoy it so much because it resonates with my heart and soul and I feel it’s a privilege to experience it at the arena where it’s so much mesmerizing than watching it from home. 

11 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I just watched the broadcast of Origin properly for the first time - British Eurosport commentary - and yeah, it was worse than it seemed watching it live lol But what amused me a lot is what they were saying before Yuzu got his score. That Shoma had a great skate at Skate Canada and I remember hearing Nathan did great at Skate America as well - I watched neither so I have no idea about the accuracy of this - and they had 188 and 189. Then comes Yuzu with 190 and beats them both with what is, by his standards, a fairly average performance (although admittedly the BESP commentators thought it was great, too. So average Yuzu beating great Shoma and Nathan sure sounds good for the season... Especially since, knowing Yuzu, he will aim for greatness and beyond. Either way, I still love it lol

Shoma's skate was great technically. In the sense of blade control and technical mastery, he mostly put on a clinic at Skate Canada. But the soul was missing. There was nothing of himself in that skate that the audience could connect to. Shoma's said in interviews that he doesn't think too hard about his pieces and just skates to whatever music and choreography he's given, and from watching and comparing him to Yuzu I'd say that's very true.  He's great, but he doesn't have that extra something Yuzu has. 

If I had to sum it up, I'd say that Shoma is doing a sport while Yuzu is trying to communicate with the world through the medium of figure skating.  So as long as both skate clean, IMO Yuzu will win every time.

4 hours ago, Lunna said:

Yes, FS was not perfect especially compared to Heksinki's H&L but I would be more worried seeing perfection now, for a first GP it was amazing. Yes, Yuzu was saving energy, especially stsq and other transitions were more sharp in practice, some moves weren't there but for now I'm completely OK with this, I'd rather him land all the jumps now and add more transitions later when he's in better condition.

And it was also great to see Yuzu happy with his achivement, of course there's kuyashii still, but at least he gives himself credit for staying on his feet))

And the funny moments behind the boards: when Jun was skating Brian raised his leg during jumps, during Yuzu's FS I didn't look at him but heard loud enough "YES!" on every landed quad :68468287: love Brian :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

Brian is his skaters' biggest supporter. I noticed during Skate Canada that he was always the first to clap whenever Jun, Jason, or Evgenia landed an element. You'd hear three or four lone claps from the coach's area, then the audience would join in.

12 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Shoma's skate was great technically. In the sense of blade control and technical mastery, he mostly put on a clinic at Skate Canada. But the soul was missing. There was nothing of himself in that skate that the audience could connect to. Shoma's said in interviews that he doesn't think too hard about his pieces and just skates to whatever music and choreography he's given, and from watching and comparing him to Yuzu I'd say that's very true.  He's great, but he doesn't have that extra something Yuzu has. 

If I had to sum it up, I'd say that Shoma is doing a sport while Yuzu is trying to communicate with the world through the medium of figure skating.  So as long as both skate clean, IMO Yuzu will win every time.

Yeah, I agree and I sometimes question why does Shoma choose to become an athlete? He always appears so nonchalant that I wonder whether his goal is really to win or to be under Yuzu's shadow? Obviously, he is talented but it seems like he avoids the spotlight like a plague. 

8 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

Yeah, I agree and I sometimes question why does Shoma choose to become an athlete? He always appears so nonchalant that I wonder whether his goal is really to win or to be under Yuzu's shadow? Obviously, he is talented but it seems like he avoids the spotlight like a plague. 

I think it's a maturity thing. Like, right now it's as if he's doing the sport like a talented prodigy: amazing skill, he's having fun, but he doesn't fully own it. He hasn't discovered his own internal drive to mark his mark; skating's just what he does, not something he lives for. I think that if he ever discovers the fire of his own intrinsic motivations, he'll give Yuzuru a huge run for his money.

But seriously, right now Junhwan does a better job on the emotional/connect with the audience side.

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think it's a maturity thing. Like, right now it's as if he's doing the sport like a talented prodigy: amazing skill, he's having fun, but he doesn't fully own it. He hasn't discovered his own internal drive to mark his mark; skating's just what he does, not something he lives for. I think that if he ever discovers the fire of his own intrinsic motivations, he'll give Yuzuru a huge run for his money.

But seriously, right now Junhwan does a better job on the emotional/connect with the audience side.

Yeah but since its just who he is, I dont think he will change. The passion and competitiveness are something more innate in a person. We clearly see that in Yuzu as a kid. The way he so proudly held up his trophy when he was just a mushroom. 

I agree and I remember Jun saying something along the lines at the press that he just felt pitiful that the choreo is sacrificed due to the 4 min constraint and that he had a lot more to show. I like the fact that he doesnt only care about jumps. You can see he is trying also taking small steps to stabilize his skills. Fix the underrotation problems and get better music and him and Boyang are two skaters I look forward to after Yuzu.