General Yuzuru Chat

I just watched the broadcast of Origin properly for the first time - British Eurosport commentary - and yeah, it was worse than it seemed watching it live lol But what amused me a lot is what they were saying before Yuzu got his score. That Shoma had a great skate at Skate Canada and I remember hearing Nathan did great at Skate America as well - I watched neither so I have no idea about the accuracy of this - and they had 188 and 189. Then comes Yuzu with 190 and beats them both with what is, by his standards, a fairly average performance (although admittedly the BESP commentators thought it was great, too. So average Yuzu beating great Shoma and Nathan sure sounds good for the season... Especially since, knowing Yuzu, he will aim for greatness and beyond. Either way, I still love it lol

Not to dampen things but Nathan has a higher free skate TES, doesn't he? I think his SkAm free skate TES was a point higher or something. And here's something that I'm still trying to wrap my head around, he got higher TES with fewer quads by getting higher GOEs, which is usually Yuzu's thing. I know judging was different and he didn't have URs called and Yuzu's 4Lo that wasn't actually UR was called and all that, but still... Can't quite wrap my head around it.

41 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Not to dampen things but Nathan has a higher free skate TES, doesn't he? I think his SkAm free skate TES was a point higher or something. And here's something that I'm still trying to wrap my head around, he got higher TES with fewer quads by getting higher GOEs, which is usually Yuzu's thing. I know judging was different and he didn't have URs called and Yuzu's 4Lo that wasn't actually UR was called and all that, but still... Can't quite wrap my head around it.

4lo is rotated but they would have called two 3As UR along with 4T( it would have been 4 UR calls in total if they had been that strict)  

3 minutes ago, wpisces said:

4lo is rotated but they would have called two 3As UR along with 4T( it would have been 4 UR calls in total if they had been that strict)  

I think the 4Lo was rotated and the 4T and the 3A in combo were borderline and could've gone either way, but I think in general the TES balanced out. I haven't seen any gifs made by people who do it well though, I've only watched it slowed down and tried to pause it on my own to see. 

41 minutes ago, wpisces said:

33 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

I think the 4Lo was rotated and the 4T and the 3A in combo were borderline and could've gone either way, but I think in general the TES balanced out. I haven't seen any gifs made by people who do it well though, I've only watched it slowed down and tried to pause it on my own to see. 

4Lo landing was 90 degrees so with new rules the UR call can be justified. 4T was UR in real time. 3A's were not.

I've always loved Yuzu's intense expressions. It gives so much depth to him as a person.

You know damn well just by seeing that glare--how deadly serious he is in everything that he does. 

Idk, it's just a plus plus plus plus plus infinity plus for me. :pouty:

As for Origin, I don't see it as something dark or ominous in any way. On the contrary, his costume looked like a sparrow's. (On the day of ACI's men's free skate, I actually found a baby quail who's plumage resembled his costume and i just kept loling when I saw him don it) So please don't sue me when my imagination just rolled in. Especially his pose in the very beginning. It seemed to me that he is depicting a young bird, quite nervous and elated at the same time--taking his first flight.  

For me, Origin feels primal, not evil.  While performing it, Yuzu is like a distant, cold but passionate force of nature, like he is wrenching the land from the sea or lightning crackling down, and the intensity of his expression mirrors that kind of power.  That's why I have no problem with the darkness of his look, because for me it goes perfectly with the tone of the piece.  Any kind of softness, I think, goes against the whole feeling he is trying to portray.

He's got plenty of other softer pieces.  Heck, he performed two of them in the same weekend as Origin.  I actually really love the difference in tone of Origin.  It makes my pulse race a bit, even more so as he keeps improving on it.  I think when he reaches peak form, I'll be completely breathless the whole 4 minutes.

2 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

Well, whether because of the ice or for other reasons, Yuzu's performance was not great. Or rather his execution of the elements. From what I understand, Nathan's was pretty good. So it shouldn't be that surprising. Add to that that GOE is all over the place, still and judges are still getting used to it - plus it allows some more subjectivity than before.

What we should keep in mind is that despite the less than perfect performance, Yuzu still scored higher than mostly clean Nathan (just saw Shoma had two falls, so that doesn't count; though now I'm confused, I thought falls should be -5GOE by default, just like they were -4 in the old system...). Nathan had all positive GOE, while Yuzu had a few negative ones and that alone can account for the difference. The BV difference is just 1.8 points. Yuzu had -2.14 just for the 4Lo. The only jump that was really good for Yuzu was the 4S and even that was actually a bit tilted - which I never noticed it being in practice, though I could be wrong, due to my perspective.

Anyway, this is Yuzu we're talking about. He'll go back to his usual high scores. If anything it might Shoma we should worry about more. Because he has a higher BV and was only about 2 points under Yuzu's record, despite two falls...

8 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Well, whether because of the ice or for other reasons, Yuzu's performance was not great. Or rather his execution of the elements. From what I understand, Nathan's was pretty good. So it shouldn't be that surprising. Add to that that GOE is all over the place, still and judges are still getting used to it - plus it allows some more subjectivity than before.

What we should keep in mind is that despite the less than perfect performance, Yuzu still scored higher than mostly clean Nathan (just saw Shoma had two falls, so that doesn't count; though now I'm confused, I thought falls should be -5GOE by default, just like they were -4 in the old system...). Nathan had all positive GOE, while Yuzu had a few negative ones and that alone can account for the difference. The BV difference is just 1.8 points. Yuzu had -2.14 just for the 4Lo. The only jump that was really good for Yuzu was the 4S and even that was actually a bit tilted - which I never noticed it being in practice, though I could be wrong, due to my perspective.

Anyway, this is Yuzu we're talking about. He'll go back to his usual high scores. If anything it might Shoma we should worry about more. Because he has a higher BV and was only about 2 points under Yuzu's record, despite two falls...

Nathan's layout could not possibly be his last one though as it only has 3 quads. 

And I remember reading from xmonster that Yuzu and Shoma has the same BV.

9 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

No, I get all of that, logically. I understand the circumstances and reasons why. I'm just still a little bemused that it is a fact. If somebody had told me that after the first GP, Nathan would have attempted fewer quads but had higher TES on GOE, and Yuzu would've won the first GP without falling or popping but being a bit messy, I would've told them that their predictive skills need a lot of work. 

2 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

Nathan's layout could not possibly be his last one though as it only has 3 quads. 

And I remember reading from xmonster that Yuzu and Shoma has the same BV.

Yes, but the more the quads, the higher the risk, too. And theoretically, this isn't Yuzu's final layout, either, since he still plans for Nessie, some day. It remains to be seen how Nathan will do, considering his circumstances as well.

As for Yuzu and Shoma, I based it on their score sheets for Skate Canada and Helsinki. Shoma's was 87.91, Yuzu's was 85.84

4 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

No, I get all of that, logically. I understand the circumstances and reasons why. I'm just still a little bemused that it is a fact. If somebody had told me that after the first GP, Nathan would have attempted fewer quads but had higher TES on GOE, and Yuzu would've won the first GP without falling or popping but being a bit messy, I would've told them that their predictive skills need a lot of work. 

In a way yes, but I think this is also because last season and the end of the previous one left people with this impression that Yuzu doesn't keep up with the technical stuff and only counts on GOE and PCS to win, because the other skaters are piling up the quads. Personally, I think this is slightly skewed. Yuzu has always aimed to push the technical difficulty boundaries as well as develop the quality of his elements and while he might not do 4F and 4Lz right now, he does other difficult things. That's why his BV isn't really much below the others while his GOE and PCS are still fearsome. It is sad that most of the difficulty he adds isn't really reflected in the scores, though. I'm not sure any other skater could skate Yuzu's layout even close to how he did, given everything else between the elements. Anyway, my point was rather that increasing the difficulty makes mistakes far more likely. And Origin is an increase in difficulty, even without new quads (for now :P).

21 час назад, KatjaThera сказал:

Being there and witnessing it was outstanding. But yes, it wasn't perfect. Still, personally, I felt the joy of him saving the landings even more in person than I ever did on TV. It's a bit like you're skating with him and every landed jump - even the imperfect ones, or perhaps especially those - feels like a personal victory. It's special.

That said, to me Helsinki was perfect because it was imperfect. We really don't want him to be perfect at this point in the season. I was actually scared after the perfect SP RT, because that's not right for right now. So, to me, this was the best possible result. He won, in commanding style, however he wasn't perfect. There's still a lot of room for improvement and if the other skaters have any sense they should be shaking in their boots at the possibility - or probability - of him achieving perfection. That's really the ideal result at this point.

Yes, FS was not perfect especially compared to Heksinki's H&L but I would be more worried seeing perfection now, for a first GP it was amazing. Yes, Yuzu was saving energy, especially stsq and other transitions were more sharp in practice, some moves weren't there but for now I'm completely OK with this, I'd rather him land all the jumps now and add more transitions later when he's in better condition.

And it was also great to see Yuzu happy with his achivement, of course there's kuyashii still, but at least he gives himself credit for staying on his feet))

And the funny moments behind the boards: when Jun was skating Brian raised his leg during jumps, during Yuzu's FS I didn't look at him but heard loud enough "YES!" on every landed quad :68468287: love Brian :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw: