General Yuzuru Chat

I think the article is ok, Plushenko just said what he hope for, not its a must. I don't think it would affect Yuzuru much, he named the program "Origin" which means its not related  much to Nijinsky. He and ShaeLyn has their own vision about this program and IMO they would stick to that.  

6 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

He said that Hanyu "has been able to just skate ever since his childhood. He hasn't had to go to school or study much alongside it". This quote was used in the main newspaper (Helsingin sanomat) and a few regional newspapers, and it really rubbed me the wrong way :tumblr_inline_mzx95p7TPv1r8msi5:It comes off as kind of condescending, like he thinks Hanyu is successful because he hasn't had to spend time on studying, but it's just not true.. Sure Hanyu isn't a medical doctor (lmao who else in FS is except for Valtter himself), but he's graduated high school, he's enrolled in a uni program that seems interesting and useful for his skating, he seems to take his studies seriously whenever he talks about them. I think maybe Valtter just honestly didn't know anything about Yuzu's educational background, or maybe he's kind of hurt after coming last and wants to find some solace in being more highly educated, but it's just a bit... I wish they hadn't used this quote without clarifying the facts! It's like they're portraying Hanyu as a child skating genius who never went to school and that somehow explains why he's at the top. Uhh....(The source of the comment is here https://www.hs.fi/urheilu/art-2000005888246.html but in Finnish) 

Idk how Yuzu got into Waseda while competing at such a high level. He has such strong self motivation and self discipline it’s both incredible and inspiring. It’s very difficult doing both so I see where Valtter is coming from (thinking Yuzuru is not in university/ doesn’t take his education seriously). What Yuzu’s studying sounds pretty difficult and to maintain good grades (bc this boi likes being the best at everything) and all that he’s accomplished in his skating is wow!! I understand why people think he’s not of this planet :68468287:

29 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

ˆThere's been lots of nice comments about Yuzu in Finnish newspapers :tumblr_inline_n0o1ffHUs91qid2nw: I guess because he was the only Finnish singles skater in the competition, a lot of newspaper articles seemed to use comments from Valtter Virtanen. He praised Yuzu saying stuff like "(already in warm-up I could see that) he is in a completely different class from everyone else. An unbounded talent".

However, I also thought one of Valtter's comments about Yuzu was kind of salty/just factually wrong and I haven't had the chance to complain to anyone else so I'm just going to use the opportunity :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: He said that Hanyu "has been able to just skate ever since his childhood. He hasn't had to go to school or study much alongside it". This quote was used in the main newspaper (Helsingin sanomat) and a few regional newspapers, and it really rubbed me the wrong way :tumblr_inline_mzx95p7TPv1r8msi5:It comes off as kind of condescending, like he thinks Hanyu is successful because he hasn't had to spend time on studying, but it's just not true.. Sure Hanyu isn't a medical doctor (lmao who else in FS is except for Valtter himself), but he's graduated high school, he's enrolled in a uni program that seems interesting and useful for his skating, he seems to take his studies seriously whenever he talks about them. I think maybe Valtter just honestly didn't know anything about Yuzu's educational background, or maybe he's kind of hurt after coming last and wants to find some solace in being more highly educated, but it's just a bit... I wish they hadn't used this quote without clarifying the facts! It's like they're portraying Hanyu as a child skating genius who never went to school and that somehow explains why he's at the top. Uhh....(The source of the comment is here https://www.hs.fi/urheilu/art-2000005888246.html but in Finnish) 

I think a lot of people aren't familiar with Yuzuru's background. They know he's Japanese, maybe they know he was considered a prodigy and I would guess most of them know he survived the earthquake in 2011. But I think that's about all they know. And that's probably because he doesn't really talk to western media and so his life story isn't really well known there.

He does talk about his studies to Japanese media, but I think he only mentioned what he studied in western media once, in an ISU interview with three other Team Japan members that I don't think was even properly promoted (I know I stumbled upon it by accident). And also Brian has mentioned he does University studies, but most people when they long distance studies, they think it's just a formality to get a pretty diploma and there isn't that much studying. Also, with him being the top skater, it's hard to believe he has time for that, too (unless you know his life appears to be pretty much just skating and studying, with sprinkles of music and video games).

But it's also like that with people sometimes assuming that because Yuzu comes from Japan, where they love FS, he probably had it really easy, when in fact his rink closed twice and Miyagi isn't really the ideal place to be in to become a figure skater. That the FS hubs in Japan are Osaka and Nagoya and that Yuzu is from neither and as a consequence actually had a pretty hard time (and still doesn't get as much political support as others). I think even Javi once said something like Yuzu's from Japan and skating there is easier (though I'm not sure. I just remember he said something once that made me wonder if he knows it actually wasn't that easy).

I think there's a lot about Yuzu that most westerners who haven't had a particular interest in him - enough to properly research - simply don't know. Or understand. So it's not really that surprising.

I do think Valtter's comments might also be more in the sense that juggling skating and a full time job is hard. Or juggling skating and med school. The thing with Yuzu is that he doesn't need a job to support himself or his skating - as we know, figure skating is a very expensive sport with very little financial reward - while many other skaters have to study and get jobs. Of course, that he has enough money that he doesn't need this is due to his hard work and talent. But it also means he has more time to dedicate himself to skating and improving his skills than those skaters who also have to go to school and get jobs. So maybe it was less about being condescending and more about explaining where at least part of that gap comes from. Whether it's accurate or not, who knows. Not many highschools could accommodate a student who actually lives half a year in Canada, for example. And some Universities you can't really do long distance. Like med school. So who knows if under those circumstances, Yuzu would have still managed the results he has. Pointless to speculate anyway.

ETA:

7 minutes ago, Tee said:

Idk how Yuzu got into Waseda while competing at such a high level. He has such strong self motivation and self discipline it’s both incredible and inspiring. It’s very difficult doing both so I see where Valtter is coming from (thinking Yuzuru is not in university/ doesn’t take his education seriously). What Yuzu’s studying sounds pretty difficult and to maintain good grades (bc this boi likes being the best at everything) and all that he’s accomplished in his skating is wow!! I understand why people think he’s not of this planet :68468287:

Not just getting into Waseda, but he had the interview that determined his admission over Skype, while he was in Sochi, competing in the Grand Prix Final, and he was also sick on top of that (could barely walk on the day of the gala, IIRC). That's just crazy...

26 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

However, I also thought one of Valtter's comments about Yuzu was kind of salty/just factually wrong and I haven't had the chance to complain to anyone else so I'm just going to use the opportunity :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: 

:consoling2: 

He is just being human and he must be disappointed not being able to give a better performance in front of home crowd. As for how it can be published in the news it is the fault of the reporter for not doing a crosscheck for Valtter's statement. Not that shocking though, it happened in medias everywhere nowadays.

26 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

However, I also thought one of Valtter's comments about Yuzu was kind of salty/just factually wrong and I haven't had the chance to complain to anyone else so I'm just going to use the opportunity :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: He said that Hanyu "has been able to just skate ever since his childhood. He hasn't had to go to school or study much alongside it". This quote was used in the main newspaper (Helsingin sanomat) and a few regional newspapers, and it really rubbed me the wrong way :tumblr_inline_mzx95p7TPv1r8msi5:It comes off as kind of condescending, like he thinks Hanyu is successful because he hasn't had to spend time on studying, but it's just not true.. Sure Hanyu isn't a medical doctor (lmao who else in FS is except for Valtter himself), but he's graduated high school, he's enrolled in a uni program that seems interesting and useful for his skating, he seems to take his studies seriously whenever he talks about them. I think maybe Valtter just honestly didn't know anything about Yuzu's educational background, or maybe he's kind of hurt after coming last and wants to find some solace in being more highly educated, but it's just a bit... I wish they hadn't used this quote without clarifying the facts! It's like they're portraying Hanyu as a child skating genius who never went to school and that somehow explains why he's at the top. Uhh....(The source of the comment is here https://www.hs.fi/urheilu/art-2000005888246.html but in Finnish) 

IMO, it doesn't really matter.

Even if Yuzu never set foot in Waseda, it doesn't diminish what he's achieved in skating. To get to his level you need to be both talented (a natural genius) and hard-working. One without the other will not a Yuzuru Hanyu make.  There are plenty of geniuses who may have had all the time in the world to devote themselves to their chosen craft-but if they don't put in the effort, they won't become the recognized geniuses.

So, I know it's off topic, but I have a thought that may not go over well...

I've felt really uncomfortable during Helsinki, and since, whenever people (commentators, journalists, other skaters) are like "that was the best of Hanyu" or "that was perfection" or "that was flawless", especially regarding his FS. Because, actually, no. That performance, while beautiful and amazing for a first competition for Yuzuru, was not his best, was not perfect, he still has stuff to work on, something that he very clearly knows and accepts. I wondered why I felt such a knee jerk negative response to said comments, and I realise it's because it feels like it cheapens his truly great outstanding performances, and makes it feel like people are saying that not because it's true but because he's Yuzuru Hanyu. 

Thoughts? 

11 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

I've felt really uncomfortable during Helsinki, and since, whenever people (commentators, journalists, other skaters) are like "that was the best of Hanyu" or "that was perfection" or "that was flawless", especially regarding his FS. Because, actually, no. That performance, while beautiful and amazing for a first competition for Yuzuru, was not his best, was not perfect, he still has stuff to work on, something that he very clearly knows and accepts. I wondered why I felt such a knee jerk negative response to said comments, and I realise it's because it feels like it cheapens his truly great outstanding performances, and makes it feel like people are saying that not because it's true but because he's Yuzuru Hanyu. 

Thoughts? 

I kind of get what you're saying, but if people believe this was his best, it only means they'll be completely blown away when it will truly be his best. And if not, they're hopeless anyway.

Being there and witnessing it was outstanding. But yes, it wasn't perfect. Still, personally, I felt the joy of him saving the landings even more in person than I ever did on TV. It's a bit like you're skating with him and every landed jump - even the imperfect ones, or perhaps especially those - feels like a personal victory. It's special.

That said, to me Helsinki was perfect because it was imperfect. We really don't want him to be perfect at this point in the season. I was actually scared after the perfect SP RT, because that's not right for right now. So, to me, this was the best possible result. He won, in commanding style, however he wasn't perfect. There's still a lot of room for improvement and if the other skaters have any sense they should be shaking in their boots at the possibility - or probability - of him achieving perfection. That's really the ideal result at this point.

Once he does both programs clean, he'll probably feel he needs to bring 4A as the only possible upgrade. Considering his current plans, I guess he does intend to go clean by GPF and then bring 4A in the next big international competition (whether it'll be 4CC or Worlds).

But I think a lot of people have also expressed exactly the feeling I mentioned: he's already fantastic and broke the records, so imagine what he'll do when he's clean. Those who don't realize that will either be in for a surprise or aren't worth paying attention to, IMO.

14 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

Thoughts? 

Yeah i agree on that. Did he command the crowd? Yes. Was he great? Yes. But it was neither his best nor was flawless

5 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

Thoughts? 

Spoiler

I might be in the minority, I have to admit his FS left me cold. It was tense and looked kind of "hostile" (not sure, I just can't find other words to describe it). As much as I tried, I really can't get the program concept/ meaning or what he wanted to express from his expressions thoughout the performance.

22 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

Thoughts? 

I think it's more the promise of perfection that is really making people gush (I cried during his SP and FS). All the imperfections were there and nobody ignored them but it's that Yuzu skates so movingly and beautifully and in such a high level considering his 2 OGM that's shaking people to their very emotional figure skating core. Both CBC and the British uncles couldn't stop saying "thank you" to Yuzuru for continuing to skate. Maybe that is why there is such a euphoric feeling. I don't really watch other skaters, but so far with what I have seen, Yuzuru's skating was just so beautiful and stirring.

It has come to the point that commentators are outright saying he is the GOAT when before this season they were just on the level of "one of the GOAT". Being called the "finest figure skater ever" counts the same as the GOAT, right?

Additional: I mean after his injury and Pyeongchang, everything has changed, even a little bit.

7 minutes ago, wpisces said:
  Hide contents

I might be in the minority, I have to admit his FS left me cold. It was tense and looked kind of "hostile" (not sure, I just can't find other words to describe it). As much as I tried, I really can't get the program concept/ meaning or what he wanted to express from his expressions thoughout the performance.

Probably because he was fighting the ice so much, working too hard not to fall.

10 minutes ago, Msyloves said:

IBoth CBC and the British uncles couldn't stop saying "thank you" to Yuzuru for continuing to skate. Maybe that is why there is such a euphoric feeling. I don't really watch other skaters, but so far with what I have seen, Yuzuru's skating was just so beautiful and stirring.

TAT also say thank after the SP. Dunno bout FP because I watched the non commentary one.

15 minutes ago, wpisces said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I did not get a hostile feeling from it, but I do think it's meant to be more cold and distant. Origin, to me, is more like a King or maybe even a God. He rules/creates well and fair, but he is distant, untouchable, cold. The gap to Otonal and Haru yo koi, is really quite big. But personally I love that other side as well. (I do think it might reflect parts of Yuzu's own life/experiences.) Oh and just for the record, I have yet to watch that video about the creation of Origin, so I have no idea what he said it's about...