General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, shanshani said:

Yeah, but some people justify her PCS with her status as reigning OGM. Which, I mean, I guess that might explain it because so much of PCS is in actuality reputation-based rather than reality-based, but that doesn't explain why Yuzu's PCS have gone down when other men haven't dropped very much at all. (Also, the gap in PCS between Nathan, Shoma, and Yuzu right now is less than the score gap between a single well executed versus so-so quad, so it's basically irrelevant to placements between the three now :13877886:) I guess it's just the rule about high PCS only if you're clean--but that seems to disproportionately punish skaters who have maxed-out PCS whereas skaters who haven't don't seem to take the same PCS hit when they're messy, unless they also don't have a reputation/belong to a strong federation. Well, I guess dodgy judging isn't new.

Alina needs that bonus points to stay ahead of her competitors. Yuzu's competitors need that additional points to give the illusion that there are competition in men's field. 

My 2 cents, ofc. 

2 hours ago, shanshani said:

So I keep seeing that Alina's PCS should go up because she's the reigning Olympic gold medalist, but Yuzu's also the reigning Olympic gold medalist, and this hasn't happened to him? In fact his PCS has dropped. I don't think people's PCS should go up because of their gold medalist status, but uh, isn't it kind of strange that the expectation in women's is totally different than the expectation in men's?

It's nothing new that ladies are totally diffrent mess. Alina's PCS were already maxed last season.

On other hand I think Yuzu's PCS this time was quite accurate. He visibly was saving energy and himself admit he took away some transitions.

14 hours ago, Tee said:

From the yt comments I found the song he was rocking out to at ACi (it's time stamped @ 1:58):

13 hours ago, MarthEmblem said:

Do you know if there's an overlayed version already? I'm trying to match up stuff but I just don't hear/see where it lines up ;;;

His hopping doesn't seem to be in time with it either so I think YT comments might be wrong about this one

Nope but I made one :13877886::

Spoiler

https://mega.nz/#!jvpCRSQR 

Decryption key: !LJnHH3_Gz0CIM8zRHAwiccWaWvM6YX19Kva-fwYgSwM

24 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

Alina needs that bonus points to stay ahead of her competitors. Yuzu's competitors need that additional points to give the illusion that there are competition in men's field. 

My 2 cents, ofc. 

But why crown a lady but refuse to crown a man? It just doesn't make any sense :scratch2: Not that judges should be crowning anybody.

It's nothing new that ladies are totally diffrent mess. Alina's PCS were already maxed last season.

On other hand I think Yuzu's PCS this time was quite accurate. He visibly was saving energy and himself admit he took away some transitions.

Sure, I don't mean to complain about Yuzu's scores or anything. It's just so weird that the attitude towards men's scoring and women's scoring seems so totally different. Like, objectively, Alina's Helsinki performance was not a good performance for her, yet she still averaged 9/10 raw PCS--not much lower than she usually gets and certainly higher than other ladies, even though Yuzu was similarly messy and took a fairly large PCS hit out of what he normally gets, putting him around the same level as Nathan Chen. Is it just because her choreography has a bunch of transitions, even if she didn't perform it well? But then why doesn't number of transitions seem to matter as much in men's?

There should be an actual rubric for PCS because right now it's extremely confusing.

38 minutes ago, Paskud said:

It's really hard to say what is accurate and what is not when skaters are not scored to the same standards. Even if there is only one skater who is consistently overscored, then there is no "accurate" PCS anymore, bc accuracy is relative. 

But I do agree that relatively, Yuzu's FS in Helsinki deserved less PCS than himself in some previous performances, like Worlds H&L or NHK/GPF Seimei when he was in top form. Because he's clearly not in peak form yet, thankfully.

4 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

But I do agree that relatively, Yuzu deserves less PCS than himself in some previous performances. 

Could you give us some examples? 

In general, Yuzu's Skating Skills and Transitions have always been outstanding, probably since his second Senior season. Regarding IN, PE and CO it's a little subjective but even there, since 2012 he was talented in that sense. Only in messy programs he gave up some of that, but I have never seen a messy program from Yuzuru that had candy PCS. 

Just now, Murieleirum said:

Could you give us some examples? 

In general, Yuzu's Skating Skills and Transitions have always been outstanding, probably since his second Senior season. Regarding IN, PE and CO it's a little subjective but even there, since 2012 he was talented in that sense. Only in messy programs he gave up some of that, but I have never seen a messy program from Yuzuru that had candy PCS. 

Oh, I just meant like this weekend's Origin probably deserved less PCS than Helsinki Worlds or GPF Seimei. Not that he deserves lower PCS now than before as a whole. I should edit it.

3 hours ago, shanshani said:

So I keep seeing that Alina's PCS should go up because she's the reigning Olympic gold medalist, but Yuzu's also the reigning Olympic gold medalist, and this hasn't happened to him? In fact his PCS has dropped. I don't think people's PCS should go up because of their gold medalist status, but uh, isn't it kind of strange that the expectation in women's is totally different than the expectation in men's?

Yuzu's PCS went up when he was the reigning olympic champion in 2014. He had 5 falls in coc and still managed to score PCS of over 80. 

Then his "inconsistencies" - losing the gold in worlds 2015 and 2016 and all his first GP events before 2018- affected his reputation in a negative way so judges started to underscore him. PCS is reputation-based. Just give Zagitova some time and the judges will start to score her less generously when Trusova etc go senior.

3 minutes ago, Huiqi said:

Yuzu's PCS went up when he was the reigning olympic champion in 2014. He had 5 falls in coc and still managed to score PCS of over 80. 

Then his "inconsistencies" - losing the gold in worlds 2015 and 2016 and all his first GP events before 2018- affected his reputation in a negative way so judges started to underscore him. PCS is reputation-based. Just give Zagitova some time and the judges will start to score her less generously when Trusova etc go senior.

Sigh. It does seem like Boston Worlds affected his reputation in a way that never recovered (which after a world and Olympic title is very strange). But CoC is a really special case so let's not go there, and tbh he didn't have much of a PCS cushion at worlds that year already. He lost to Javi who also fell by less than 2 points and TV commentators remarked that his score wasn't as high as they thought.

Javi deserved to win though and if Yuzu had won it would have been unfair so I am glad he is scored fairly if only for the reason that it fuels him and also legitimizes his victories several times over. Also skaters who are overscored sometimes get extra hate for no fault of their own. 

2 minutes ago, Huiqi said:

But his PCS is mostly okay--he still has the highest PCS when he went clean. He is held back sometimes with his GOE, but I think it is largely happened because he kinda broke the scoring system after he get 330 during GPF 2016.  

4 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

Or liquid gold as one commentator once said? Hahahahaha

:xD: Yes, but Johnny's comment is still the best imo. It has a feeling of weirdness and mystery. I still don't know, what is it supposed to look like. :rofl3: