General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

If I were a figure skater, this would so be me. People would have to cover their kids' ears because of the language.

He did scream a lot during his performances! In Boston SP and Nice FS at least. 

I would like to add something regarding Yuzuru's "typical elements". They are never there because they are necessary. The only necessary moves in FS are the technical elements required. So, Yuzuru is never under the obligation to put one element or the other, and I don't think he's ever thought "where should I put the hydro in this program?". It simply comes to him, while he's choreographing with Shae-Lynn (it could also come to her), to add the element because he wants it there. Because he has fun performing those elements.

But when you are at the start of the season, you have to force yourself to remember all the steps and turns you have to do, you have to force yourself to listen to the music, and you have to force yourself to calm down because it's your first competition after 7 months... yeah, it's not gonna be easy to sell all of those elements in a convincing way, and they will probably look 'not necessary'. 

What I'm saying is - give Otonal and Origin some time to mature, and when they'll be ready, every single step into those programs will have meaning, every single step will be "necessary" because the programs will be whole. 

(btw, he did give up Biellmann spin, so it's not like it's impossible for him to change some elements inside his skating. This year he has a whole new set of spins!) 

2 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

What I'm saying is - give Otonal and Origin some time to mature, and when they'll be ready, every single step into those programs will have meaning, every single step will be "necessary" because the programs will be whole.

And I am so looking forward to the newly developed Helsinki version... 

Back a bit about Yuzu and Kurt. At Skate America there's a video saying Kurt is excited with 2 things Yuzu said to him, right? The first one is 4A and the second one is a personal one.

I think (more like hope, actually) there is a possibility that the personal one is about Yuzu asking Kurt to make an EX program for him. :10636614:

I think this is plausible since his story of 'Requiem of Heaven and Earth' and 'Notte Stellatta' will finally have its closure with 'Haru Yo, Koi'. 

I have shared my opinion earlier on what I think his 'weakness' is so I won't comment about it further.

Now, I have a burning question in my mind for the last 2-3 days (After getting annoyed by Tara's and some comments on YT videos from Skate America, actually). :oops:

The question is, how would you see a skater as 'artistic' and deduced them at the same level or not?

I might be biased as hell, but I'm thinking the difference between Yuzu and the current top skaters is that Yuzu enacted a story with his programs. There is always something behind those programs and on his good days he is capable to sell it very well and engaging my emotions as the result. 

Spoiler

That is why it annoyed the hell out of me when I saw comments on Nate's video saying he now is on the same level of artistry with Yuzu. Nate's SP this year is a fun, fast paced one and he is able to sell it well. But I have never been able to find deeper meanings from any of his programs. Watching his FP even makes me think that Dai will be able to pull such music better.

Sorry for having to read my shortened rant here, but how would you actually see it?

15 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

I cannot wait to see it too.  Does anyone have a list of the content of both programmes as they currently stand (jumps, spins, sequ etc) so I can (hopefully) see the changes.  There were a lot of comments in earlier threads but I'm not sure of the way things finally stood? :snonegai:Pretty please.  I'd be very grateful. X

17 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

Back a bit about Yuzu and Kurt. At Skate America there's a video saying Kurt is excited with 2 things Yuzu said to him, right? The first one is 4A and the second one is a personal one.

I think (more like hope, actually) there is a possibility that the personal one is about Yuzu asking Kurt to make an EX program for him. :10636614:

I think this is plausible since his story of 'Requiem of Heaven and Earth' and 'Notte Stellatta' will finally have its closure with 'Haru Yo, Koi'. 

I have shared my opinion earlier on what I think his 'weakness' is so I won't comment about it further.

Now, I have a burning question in my mind for the last 2-3 days (After getting annoyed by Tara's and some comments on YT videos from Skate America, actually). :oops:

The question is, how would you see a skater as 'artistic' and deduced them at the same level or not?

I might be biased as hell, but I'm thinking the difference between Yuzu and the current top skaters is that Yuzu enacted a story with his programs. There is always something behind those programs and on his good days he is capable to sell it very well and engaging my emotions as the result. 

Hide contents

That is why it annoyed the hell out of me when I saw comments on Nate's video saying he now is on the same level of artistry with Yuzu. Nate's SP this year is a fun, fast paced one and he is able to sell it well. But I have never been able to find deeper meanings from any of his programs. Watching his FP even makes me think that Dai will be able to pull such music better.

Sorry for having to read my shortened rant here, but how would you actually see it?

I definitely think that if a programme is telling a story and the skater connects with it then it resonates with the audience.  Also for me the music is one of the main attractions.  A lot of the time if I like the music I'm already part-way invested in the programme ...... then it's up to the skater to 'pull me in".  I think artistic like art is very much in the eye of the beholder and up to the individual.  You either like it...... Or you don't. 

1 hour ago, 4Nessie said:

To think that in 10 days it will see those programs live... my brain can’t process it:smiley-excited001:

As for the artistry, it’s something quite personal and what resonates with someone can put off someone else. I fell in love with Yuzu’s skating because he seemed so invested in his programs, pulling me into his world, showing us a glimpse of his soul. And I liked his liquid, soft yet powerful skating. The first time I saw him something just clicked, that’s what I want in art, which doesn’t mean I don’t see the technique, but I need to be swept off my feet and instinctively think « this is beautiful »

And gosh was it hard to convey my thoughts in English, Yuzu I feel for you 

:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

5 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

He did scream a lot during his performances! In Boston SP and Nice FS at least. 

I would like to add something regarding Yuzuru's "typical elements". They are never there because they are necessary. The only necessary moves in FS are the technical elements required. So, Yuzuru is never under the obligation to put one element or the other, and I don't think he's ever thought "where should I put the hydro in this program?". It simply comes to him, while he's choreographing with Shae-Lynn (it could also come to her), to add the element because he wants it there. Because he has fun performing those elements.

But when you are at the start of the season, you have to force yourself to remember all the steps and turns you have to do, you have to force yourself to listen to the music, and you have to force yourself to calm down because it's your first competition after 7 months... yeah, it's not gonna be easy to sell all of those elements in a convincing way, and they will probably look 'not necessary'. 

(btw, he did give up Biellmann spin, so it's not like it's impossible for him to change some elements inside his skating. This year he has a whole new set of spins!) 

The thing is, when Yuzu puts all of his favorite elements in every competition program he makes, every single time, after a while all the programs start looking similar to each other. It would be good for him to have variety, add new things in, sometimes leave other things out, just to keep his programs fresh.

3 hours ago, vanadiezz said:

Hide contents

About 'artistry': I think Nathan has a long way to go before he's at Yuzu's level, but his Skate America SP did indeed have a level of artistry that was similar to some of Yuzu's programs. One 'artistic' program does not an artist make. 

The difference between Yuzu and a lot of other skaters is that Yuzu has internalized 'artistry'. The art in his programs comes from within himself. It's not something imposed on him by the choreographer from outside.

14 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The difference between Yuzu and a lot of other skaters is that Yuzu has internalized 'artistry'. The art in his programs comes from within himself. It's not something imposed on him by the choreographer from outside.

I think that's reflected in the fact that Yuzu generally has picked the music for his programs and even edited it with thoughts of the general layout of his work before he even approaches a choreographer.  At that point the choreographer and Yuzu generally detail the piece, where it's not simply filling in the blanks but with the general layout already there working to milk out the 'drama' of the music.  I wonder how many other skaters work this way.  I doubt that there are many since that approach requires a sensitivity to music that is not widely found amongst athletes.  I can't remember who said it, but somebody who knows Yuzu well remarked that Yuzu has one of the most intensively developed sensitivities to music to be found anywhere.  Yuzu has been able to exploit that sensitivity in the programs he and his choreographers develop to give him an in-built advantage that is reflected in his usually very high PCS points.  Yuzu's advantage is that in putting together his programs he is 'marrying' the music and the motion and making them work in perfect harmony.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The thing is, when Yuzu puts all of his favorite elements in every competition program he makes, every single time, after a while all the programs start looking similar to each other. It would be good for him to have variety, add new things in, sometimes leave other things out, just to keep his programs fresh.

I don't feel like any of his programs look alike... the same move can have a different meaning/feeling every time it's done. But I understand if it's seen that way.

Artistry is very subjective. Some skaters are naturally musical and artistic but they can't express that through their skating. Some aren't artistic themselves but their skating "unintendedly" brings out the artistic sense. I think it's unfair to compare one's artistry to another's. Some people find Nathan's skating more appealing, some said they failed to see artistry in Yuzuru's skating or simply can't feel his artistry. It's understandable. It might be a matter of taste. 

18 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Kurt sounds like Forrest Gump saying that...comparing Yuzu to a box of chocolates...

....kind of fits, considering how sweet he is and his Lotte sponsorship. :snmouchotto:

This is so on point I find the need to reply to this 😂😂😂

And talking about Hanyu's weakness, for now after the ACI it's definitely the spins eh 😂 maybe he got too carried away practicing 4A he forgot to train his spins