General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Her younger sister Miyu is a celebrity and Marin has appeared in commercials herself so she's probably more well known by people who don't follow figure skating. 

Yeah, but the title is "favorite" athlete, not "best known" athlete. Now I understand how powerful promotion agency can be. Though to be fair, in my country there's a ski jumper who rarely makes it to the top 10 in competitions and is about 5th in the country results-wise but he's really popular because his funny.

Shoma, and his brother lol, have been doing lots of promotion too, his outings to the matches have been in the papers, he's been on shows I believe. Makes me curious, if Yuzu did more promo stuff would he nab the popularity top spot from Shohei Ohtani? Does Ohtani do a lot of promotion in Japan or is he like Yuzu?

1 minute ago, Moria Polonius said:

Yeah, but the title is "favorite" athlete, not "best known" athlete. Now I understand how powerful promotion agency can be. Though to be fair, in my country there's a ski jumper who rarely makes it to the top 10 in competitions and is about 5th in the country results-wise but he's really popular because his funny.

Think of Britain's Eddie the Eagle....

1 hour ago, Moria Polonius said:

Makes me curious, if Yuzu did more promo stuff would he nab the popularity top spot from Shohei Ohtani? Does Ohtani do a lot of promotion in Japan or is he like Yuzu?

Hard to say but probably not because as big a sport Figure Skating is in Japan it's nothing compared to baseball.

I have to say, that month of Edvin Marton and Otonal on constant replay has an effect on me already. That music got an entirely new meaning for me. Now I love it. And there are only four Yuzu's music choices I like to listen to without Yuzu's skating. These two, R&J 1.0 and Haru Yo Koi.    

Edit: As I am thinking about it, I think Yuzu should definitely do some music marketing. His music choices could do some pretty scary chart jumps... :darklordyuzu:

14 hours ago, Moria Polonius said:

if Yuzu did more promo stuff would he nab the popularity top spot from Shohei Ohtani?

Baseball has been popular in the mainstream for far longer than figure skating — both sports entered Japan fairly early (baseball in 1872, while the earliest instance of figure skating in Japan dates back to 1877), but figure skating only got somewhat popular in 1920s (and only pick up on steam at 1977 Worlds onwards, when Tokyo hosted the Worlds — also FYI JSF was first formed in 1929 for both figure skating and speed skating).

Edit: Sorry I didn't write much more about baseball at first, because I am not too familiar with the sport as an audience, and I am not too familiar with the sports' presence in Japan either. I don't know how popular exactly baseball was in Japan at the turn of the century, but if it was even referenced in the novel "I am a Cat" by Natsume Soseki (which was written around 1905-1909 first as a serialized stories in a literary journal), then I think it's safe to say that baseball is already highly popular among the people then, especially the boys :think:.

20 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Shinya-san talking about Yuzu?

I haven't seen this program but read a report on this program yesterday. According to the report, Shinya appeared in this program to give a lecture about piano, mainly on the history of the instrument and ways of playing it. This video is an excerpt from the part he talked about the glissando. He said it hurts his fingers but when he plays for live concerts he tends to get carried away and do it multiple times despite the pain, and they showed the footage of Haru yo Koi as an example.

This is how his fingers recovered in 3 days after finishing shows in Kobe or Niigata

Spoiler

But he said that he thought he had to do such glissando if he would collaborate with Yuzu.

IIRC, this article has already been translated and shared, no?

2 hours ago, Sammie said:

I watch this part so many times. Who can blame Roman? I would do the exact same thing.  :10636614:

Roman is very happy and beaming the whole time in the ceremony! Getting a medal , sharing podium with Yuzu, getting help from Yuzu to put on guards... he’s a joy to watch!

this is what I’m talking about!