General Yuzuru Chat

15 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I liked that program a lot, even though I was surprised they brought it to the Olympics because of (1) how controversial they knew it would be, and (2) how fast it could enter cringe territory if they weren't careful. On the whole, though, I think they skirted that line pretty well and it was a fun program. Of course, the potential cringe of their program was miles overshadowed by Domnina/Shabalin's...

Last OT: I think the comparison between Davis/White's Bollywood and Domnina/Shabalin's "aboriginal dance" is a good once for this topic...one of them consulted with actual Bollywood choreographers and studied real Bollywood dance, the other did something that had no semblance to actual Australian aboriginal dance yet called it that to get away with the fact that they couldn't do a "real" original dance...

I didn't know about them so I've searched on YT and found the video of their performance at European Championship. Wow...they're so over the top. Talk about criminally cringy and this could be classified as very offensive! I had to literally laugh out loud while I was watching the video of the Aboriginal Dance. Geez... I also agree with Davis/White Bollywood dance. I liked it. The facial expression and the hands, the costume and everything felt very close to authentic (plz don't shoot me). It's evident in their performances that one did actually thought a lot about it and spent some time studying their materials while others did not do their homework.

To make something authentic, it has to have the spirit or the very essence of the culture that is portrayed. That's what I believe. You can mimic or copy things but if you don't have the heart, it is not the real thing. I felt Davis/White's performance had that zesty feeling of Bollywood movies and I've throughly enjoyed it. And sadly that was missing from Domnina/Shabalin's performance - the heart of the culture.

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

See now, I would have pegged  Chen as a skater people say isn't balletic enough. Guy looks like he never had a day's dance training in his life, and it's because his lines are often sloppy. 

22 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Bigger the nation, bigger the national bias I assume. You can only pump so much hot-air into something that gets inflated. There is no substance just hot air bubbling here. I don't have anything against Nathan except I cannot seem to make any emotional connections to his performances. To me, his jumps are just jumps and nothing more than athletic movements while I see dramas in Yuzu's jumps :img_20:  Yes I am heavily biased  too!:hachimaki:

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

See now, I would have pegged  Chen as a skater people say isn't balletic enough. Guy looks like he never had a day's dance training in his life, and it's because his lines are often sloppy. Likewise with Zagitova, even at the Olympics. Although she was literally playing a ballerina, her elbows and knees were sticking out when they shouldn't have been, and her posture would sometimes collapse.

I know just enough about ballet to know what people should look like when they're being 'balletic'. To my mind, Jason Brown actually exemplifies the term. And Yuzu has almost perfect lines but IMO when he was younger he would get carried away by his music and get a little wild and lose control of his arms a bit. 

Also, @kaeryth : Yuzu is unquestionably a genius. He has all the criteria for it. I approve of this poll. :)

the only 'balletic' skater i can truly enjoy on the ice, and who i think is the most balletic of all modern figure skaters is my boy  T A T S U K I  M A C H I D A

if you haven't watched his 7 min skate to Bolero you haven't lived

edit: really though Machida is one of the most amazing artists the sport ever had, he's up there with Stephane and J Buttle imo. His commitment to his artistic vision may go unparalleled by any skater of the modern era 

21 minutes ago, salty said:

the only 'balletic' skater i can truly enjoy on the ice, and who i think is the most balletic of all modern figure skaters is my boy  T A T S U K I  M A C H I D A

if you haven't watched his 7 min skate to Bolero you haven't lived

edit: really though Machida is one of the most amazing artists the sport ever had, he's up there with Stephane and J Buttle imo. His commitment to his artistic vision may go unparalleled by any skater of the modern era 

Oh my... That was amazing! 

Pure art with emotions pouring out...

That's what I call expressing music done well.

Thank you for this link, I didn't know something like that existed. One more video on my rewatch list.

В 04.10.2018 в 18:19, 4Nessie сказал:

Okay, I've watched those. I don't think that skating good program to that particular music is the same as to properly express the culture characteristics though...

The best riverdance I remember was done by Jason Brown.

В 04.10.2018 в 19:10, 4Nessie сказал:

I agree to some extend. But my opinion on music choices is a bit different maybe. I think that a skater should choose his music for some reason. To show something through that music. If you choose Irish music, than you should show something that is specific for it, otherwise you could choose anything and skate the same program to it. That's the main problem imo. Many skaters choose music that they like for some reason, but they are not able to express it fully.

That's a complicated question. I think we know that not every skater is like Yuzu and choose their music, but it doesn't mean that skater can't skate well to it or interpret it in his own way. But there're music styles that suits one skater better than the other, suits his character or the way he moves. And there's also the choreo, a lot depends on how well choreo is made, how it highlights specific music genre and music itself.

22 часа назад, GoldMedalist сказал:

Some people say no- or at least certain people are not allowed to do it  :rolleyes:   It was perfectly fine that Rika Hongo skated to Riverdance, but god forbid Davis/White skate to Bollywood.  So much for "equality" ... People just look for problems everywhere :shrug:

Well, I liked both :shrug: 

On 10/5/2018 at 7:52 AM, GoldMedalist said:

Some people say no- or at least certain people are not allowed to do it  :rolleyes:   It was perfectly fine that Rika Hongo skated to Riverdance, but god forbid Davis/White skate to Bollywood. 

To me, it's a little more complicated than that (and I speak as someone who liked it, and adored the Bollywood version of Shakespeare I once saw).  Yes, political politics comes into play (and that's all I'll say about it, with respect to the forum rules) but Bollywood does by its very nature ride the fine edge of OTT, that's part of its appeal.  Therefore it's way too easy for even the most respectful and researched take on it to topple ever-so-slightly into looking like unintentional caricature. I sometimes think how great a prgram set to some of Ketelby's period Orientalism music might be... but then again, In a Persian Market  (look it up on youtube, do) is fabulous but would run the same risk.

Whereas Madame Butterfly.... anyone  can do.  While Riverdance does present a fascinating cultural tangle with an American and a Japanese doing a celebration of Irish culture... as does the thirty billion good bad and omigod tangos this session from all nations (poor Piazolla!!) for me one of the most fascinating tangle would be American or French (I think) skaters using an Italian opera about a Japanese geisha... were it not for the even more fascinating one of a Japanese skater using the same very Italian opera about a Japanese geisha.

I would also love to see someone try a piece based on Sondheim's Pacific Overtures for similar reasons (okay and yes, because it would make me squeal with joy)

7 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

Oh my sainted Pooh. :tumblr_inline_mzx8v0X45Z1r8msi5: :surprised:

is that a joke? Are these people actually watching the same Nathan Chen we are? Wow. If so, it's a shame that he keeps holding back so much. 🙄

21 minutes ago, TallyT said:

To me, it's a little more complicated than that (and I speak as someone who liked it, and adored the Bollywood version of Shakespeare I once saw).  Yes, political politics comes into play (and that's all I'll say about it, with respect to the forum rules) but Bollywood does by it's very nature ride the fine edge of OTT, that's part of its appeal.  Therefore it's way too easy for even the most respectful and researched take on it to topple ever-so-slightly into looking like unintentional caricature. I sometimes think how great a prgram set to some of Ketelby's period Orientalism music might be... but then again, In a Persian Market  (look it up on youtube, do) is fabulous but would run the same risk.

Whereas Madame Butterfly.... anyone  can do.  While Riverdance does present a fascinating cultural tangle with an American and a Japanese doing a celebration of Irish culture... as does the thirty billion good bad and omigod tangos this session from all nations (poor Piazolla!!) for me one of the most fascinating tangle would be American or French (I think) skaters using an Italian opera about a Japanese geisha... were it not for the even more fascinating one of a Japanese skater using the same very Italian opera about a Japanese geisha.

I would also love to see someone try a piece based on Sondheim's Pacific Overtures for similar reasons (okay and yes, because it would make me squeal with joy)

15 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Oh my sainted Pooh. :tumblr_inline_mzx8v0X45Z1r8msi5: :surprised:

is that a joke? Are these people actually watching the same Nathan Chen we are? Wow. If so, it's a shame that he keeps holding back so much. 🙄

Hi all, since these OT topics have already gone on for many pages, I'd like to politely redirect everyone to continue the conversation in the General Skating Chat, where we can talk about all things skating:10814716: