General Yuzuru Chat

13 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Yuzuru, do Javi/Stephane tribute 2019/2020

I hope the Javi tribute is a flamenco, not a comical-type program:embSwan: tho it would be...interesting to see Yuzuru trying that...but no, much better a flamenco with some red in the costume and LGC hair :10742290: (also, while some skaters make comedy work, I usually don't go and rewatch that type of program...)

Stephane tribute...as long as Yuzu doesn't want to take inspiration from the zebra or the cat-thing costume, he can do everything he wants, Stephane did so many good programs:8788161:

ETA: of course we don't even know what yuzu's plans for next season are... we're thinking a lot ahead LOL

2 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

I hope the Javi tribute is a flamenco, not a comical-type program:embSwan: tho it would be...interesting to see Yuzuru trying that...but no, much better a flamenco with some red in the costume and LGC hair :10742290: (also, while some skaters make comedy work, I usually don't go and rewatch that type of program...)

Stephane tribute...as long as Yuzu doesn't want to take inspiration from the zebra or the cat-thing costume, he can do everything he wants, Stephane did so many good programs:8788161:

comical-type program? Koi-dance program?

Just now, Paskud said:

comical-type program? Koi-dance program?

I'd be on board for that:68468287:

I was thinking about a Chaplin or aerobics class:xD: but maybe Yuzu could do the drunk pirate instead, he kinda tried it already and I've always found hilarious how some of his moves (like his weird off-ice run) kinda resemble how a Jack Sparrow would move LOL

Sooo, I am sorry about my previous posts. I don't want to be biased, so I did some research to see how many tango/paso/flamenco-'ish' programs I like. I watched only men's.

Boyang Jin 2015 - nice skate, not really a tango for me

Florent Amodio 2014 - eh... it was a bit too much

Plushenko - I really can't judge this. He is one of the greatest, I get that and respect that, but I never liked his style.

Stéphane Lambiel 2008 - yeah, that's the feeling...

Patrick Chan 2009 - No. Sorry, no. That program was beautiful, but no tango feeling...

Tomáš Verner 2014 - (To not sound too harsh only on foreign skaters...) he was a good comic, but not much of a tango

oh and Lysacek 2011 - It was close. It had all the right movements so it should have been the right one. But something still missing there, imo.

Then I found a video of Brian Orser, Kurt Browning and Alexei Yagudin skating to Tango - it is a jewel. It's too short to judge properly, but Kurt was GREAT! He had the right pose and everything. Brian... well... he is so 'romantically fluent' in his movements, not really a tango guy I think. Yagudin, from what I saw in those few minutes, no.

So, to sum up - skating tango programs is DIFFICULT!!! :68468287:

And one thing to add to my previous thoughts - the main problem is, I think, that some music is just way too specific. What do you think people would say, if Yuzu skated to Riverdance? I believe he would do it well. It would be surely beautiful as everything he does, but I think there would be some nasty comments about it. That is just one example. All I wanted to say before is, that such specific music is supposed to present some cultural characteristics to the audience and it sounds strange when someone tells you that one culture will present characteristics from way way too different culture. It is quite hard to pull of. So that's the main problem with biased thinking. People are in a difficult position believing that such thing can be done well.

4 hours ago, 4Nessie said:

I see my posts are not very clear. The original post was about culturally distinct music. Not classical music or all music genres.

But it doesn't matter, I guess. Everybody is free to read what they want in my posts.

No, I understood what you originally meant and I didn't think you were being offensive. Don't worry.

7 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Tsk-tsk-tsk! Remember that Yuzuru want to be kitty :tumblr_inline_np9uqfzDd81qid2nw_75sq:

he can be a cute kitty at FaOI with his kitty ears and neck scarves and so on, but please no oversized costumes that kill his lines, it would be a crime:angrypooh: (also, he would have trouble jumping 4A:P). Also, that was not the kind of red costume I was thinking about:headdesk:

Now, if he wants to go for a black panther, instead, and wear a UA-like costume... we can talk about that:devilYuzu:

ETA: of course we've already been blessed with the current Origin costume, so maybe he'll not wear another dark costume for a while after that...:peekapooh:

44 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

Sooo, I am sorry about my previous posts. I don't want to be biased, so I did some research to see how many tango/paso/flamenco-'ish' programs I like. I watched only men's.

Boyang Jin 2015 - nice skate, not really a tango for me

Florent Amodio 2014 - eh... it was a bit too much

Plushenko - I really can't judge this. He is one of the greatest, I get that and respect that, but I never liked his style.

Stéphane Lambiel 2008 - yeah, that's the feeling...

Patrick Chan 2009 - No. Sorry, no. That program was beautiful, but no tango feeling...

Tomáš Verner 2014 - (To not sound too harsh only on foreign skaters...) he was a good comic, but not much of a tango

oh and Lysacek 2011 - It was close. It had all the right movements so it should have been the right one. But something still missing there, imo.

Then I found a video of Brian Orser, Kurt Browning and Alexei Yagudin skating to Tango - it is a jewel. It's too short to judge properly, but Kurt was GREAT! He had the right pose and everything. Brian... well... he is so 'romantically fluent' in his movements, not really a tango guy I think. Yagudin, from what I saw in those few minutes, no.

So, to sum up - skating tango programs is DIFFICULT!!! :68468287:

And one thing to add to my previous thoughts - the main problem is, I think, that some music is just way too specific. What do you think people would say, if Yuzu skated to Riverdance? I believe he would do it well. It would be surely beautiful as everything he does, but I think there would be some nasty comments about it. That is just one example. All I wanted to say before is, that such specific music is supposed to present some cultural characteristics to the audience and it sounds strange when someone tells you that one culture will present characteristics from way way too different culture. It is quite hard to pull of. So that's the main problem with biased thinking. People are in a difficult position believing that such thing can be done well.

Kazuki Tomono is doing a Riverdance program this year. I watched it and it's not bad, and I don't find it culturally inappropriate, but it's a difficult piece of music and he's struggling just to keep up with it. I actually don't mind at all when other cultures try Irish pieces because the Irish are everywhere spreading their culture anyway.

On the other hand, when it comes to very culturally specific music, using it can come off as awkward or exploitative if the skater doing it isn't very careful. For example, European skaters doing Indigenous First Nations inspired pieces would look culturally tone deaf. 

But honestly it comes down to picking music that suits the skater. A lot of athletes just get this wrong.