General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, 4Nessie said:

That's what I meant. And it would be perhaps a wiser desicion not to post it at all, but I feel such things should be said because they are very common. And I am not proud of my preconception. But I know I have such opinions because people are formed by their surroundings and I hear a lot of biased information. That's why I try to actually watch those performances to relieve myself from this bias. So I thought it would be fair to point it out, but only carefully. And to be fair, I only saw Daisuke and Shoma skating to Spanish music so I can't judge all asian skaters. On the other hand, I couldn't stand Plushenko's tango either...

Everybody's free to have their opinions! We all have flawed opinions. I cringe majorly when I see European or American skaters do Bollywood but I know that's mostly because of my biases and it doesn't mean that they can't do it well, they could probably do it great and I might even like it if I could wipe my eyes and brain clean of my preconceived notions. It's cool, we like what we like, and as long as we try to be open to having our opinions changed when somebody unexpected comes along with a blazing hot version of something we think wouldn't suit them, it's all fine, I think! 

45 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

That's what I meant. And it would be perhaps a wiser desicion not to post it at all, but I feel such things should be said because they are very common. And I am not proud of my preconception. But I know I have such opinions because people are formed by their surroundings and I hear a lot of biased information. That's why I try to actually watch those performances to relieve myself from this bias. So I thought it would be fair to point it out, but only carefully. And to be fair, I only saw Daisuke and Shoma skating to Spanish music so I can't judge all asian skaters. On the other hand, I couldn't stand Plushenko's tango either...

Well, any  good Argentine (which is where tango originated, BTW,) will tell you it's for everyone.  On the other hand, there's a whole manga, 10 Dance,.based at least in part on the idea that Asians simply don't get latin dance. 

28 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Well, any  good Argentine (which is where tango originated, BTW,) will tell you it's for everyone.  On the other hand, there's a whole manga, 10 Dance,.based at least in part on the idea that Asians simply don't get latin dance. 

I guess it may be a European point of view. We are quite conservetive - not all countries at the same level though. I think some people here simply don't like to see other cultures doing standard European things. It's strange though that no one would ever say that European samurai or ninja or Indian is something strange.    

Edit: And sorry about the tango. I tend to simplify things when writing.

2 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

I guess it may be a European point of view. We are quite conservetive - not all countries at the same level though. I think some people here simply don't like to see other cultures doing standard European things. It's strange though that no one would ever say that European samurai or ninja or Indian is something strange.    

I understand you don't like any Yuzuru's programs, except seimei and H&L?

5 minutes ago, Paskud said:

I understand you don't like any Yuzuru's programs, except seimei and H&L?

Okay, that is not at all what I said and I would never say that. I am sorry if anyone read this in my posts. I am just overthinking things as always and hoping that others will understand my "research thinking".

That said, the original thought was - Yes, I would like to see Yuzu skate some Paso Doble and I know I would very much enjoy it.

29 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

Huh? I don't think you will find anyone here not loving Yuzu's Ballade, Etude, Swan Lake, Notte Stellata, or R&J (if we can qualify Yuzu's R&J as a standard European thing). Actually, I've never met a European FS fan anywhere who would hold skating to European music against a skater from another continent. Frankly, I suspect that Europeans, especially casual fans of FS would rather watch standard European things no matter who skates because that's what they've always been watching. Their conservatism would rather make them less interested in more exotic programs. (I did see opinions that Seimei was "boring" during the Olys, and never a word against Ballade, but I think the people with that opinion were American rather than European since I was attending American-mostly places.)

6 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Huh? I don't think you will find anyone here not loving Yuzu's Ballade, Etude, Swan Lake, Notte Stellata, or R&J. Actually, I've never met a European FS fan anywhere who would hold skating to European music against a skater from another continent. Frankly, I suspect that Europeans, especially casual fans of FS would rather watch standard European things no matter who skates because that's what they've always been watching. Their conservatism would rather make them less interested in more exotic programs. (I did see opinions that Seimei was "boring" during the Olys, and never a word against Ballade, but I think the people with that opinion were American rather than European since I was attending American-mostly places.)

I see my posts are not very clear. The original post was about culturally distinct music. Not classical music or all music genres.

But it doesn't matter, I guess. Everybody is free to read what they want in my posts.

I think the important thing when using culturally distinct music is probably respect- if it is treated respectfully and not belittled then it should be ok to use any music.  European classical is the default choice but it’s good to see new genres.  

Whether or not it suits the skater in question is an entirely different matter.  I could never really understand S/M using ‘Candyman’ - they skated it well technically but it didn’t suit their style - if Marchei/ Hotarek had used it I could imagine them carrying it off much better, they do jokey and lighthearted very well.  The tango thing is difficult to judge - I’m feeling I’ve had a surfeit of Latin American what with last  season and this seasons short dance choices and the ubiquitous Roxanne so I don’t know whether I don’t like the idea or I just want a couple of seasons break from that particular genre.

32 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I think the important thing when using culturally distinct music is probably respect- if it is treated respectfully and not belittled then it should be ok to use any music.  European classical is the default choice but it’s good to see new genres.  

Whether or not it suits the skater in question is an entirely different matter.  I could never really understand S/M using ‘Candyman’ - they skated it well technically but it didn’t suit their style - if Marchei/ Hotarek had used it I could imagine them carrying it off much better, they do jokey and lighthearted very well.  The tango thing is difficult to judge - I’m feeling I’ve had a surfeit of Latin American what with last  season and this seasons short dance choices and the ubiquitous Roxanne so I don’t know whether I don’t like the idea or I just want a couple of seasons break from that particular genre.

I don't watch much ice dance (I should) but what I'm sick of already is Romeo and Juliet. 

Dear God, so many Romeo and Juliet. Right now, I'm so annoyed with the whole lot of them that I'll take Junhwan's truly and mindblowingly odd R+J ED mix with DiCaprio screaming JULIEETTTTT in the middle.

I'm honestly so glad Yuzu went with two such distinctive programmes. I think if he had done Latin I would've wept a little and not all of the tears would've been happy. I'm also very very happy that his going back to beginnings didn't lead to a reinterpretation of his own R+J. Another version.

4 hours ago, Bonesfan said:

It is my understanding that since ANA sponsors Yuzu, they restrict his endorsements to 5 other companies. To avoid diluting his "brand".

I've heard that JSF restricts jpn skaters on quantity of their ads, but nothing about ANA doing anything like that.

Personally, I'm ok with Yuzu only having about 5 sponsors. Having sponsors doesn't mean just getting financial benefits, it also means having to work to promote them, do CMs, participate in events etc. With Yuzu based in Canada, doing that for his Japanese sponsors means he has to travel back to Japan to do it. I think it's great he's managed to find ways to work with them in such a way that he can do all that stuff whenever he's in Japan, and cram them all into a short period of time, as opposed to having to travel back and forth. If he had more sponsors to work with, I'm not sure it'd be as convenient.

2 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

I don't watch much ice dance (I should) but what I'm sick of already is Romeo and Juliet. 

Dear God, so many Romeo and Juliet. Right now, I'm so annoyed with the whole lot of them that I'll take Junhwan's truly and mindblowingly odd R+J ED mix with DiCaprio screaming JULIEETTTTT in the middle.

I totally relate. I’m watching the JGP and there are too much R&J, boys and girls, and don’t start me on tangos *sigh*

So as much as I’d love to see Yuzu give us a tango program or even better a paso doble indeed, I don’t think I could appreciate it fully this year