General Yuzuru Chat

On 10/3/2018 at 2:44 AM, PapiandPooh422 said:

I found this and I never thought I needed it in my life. :tumblr_inline_n0o1ffBcXo1qid2nw:

My  imagination has  gone  wild!!  He  would have  done  a  nuclear  bomb  of a  program  with  this  music !  That's  a  warhorse  I  would  take from  him any day.

57 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I dunno, guys. I understand why everyone likes the idea of tango Yuzu, but he seems way more like a Paso Doble guy to me.

Oh God! You are so right! Now I won't have peace until I see him do a paso... You are so cruel!!!! :headdesk:

By the way, maybe it is an unpopular opinion, but I've seen Daisuke skating to Tango de Roxanne and I hated it. I think spanish music (and maybe other culturaly distinctive music) is not very much suited for asian skaters (I don't mean it in a bad way, just my opinion). Ok, Shoma looks kind of good with his new program and I was really surprised to see him like that.

So I was quite in shock when I found out that Yuzu skated to Zigeunerweisen and I thought it has to look strange... Then I watched the original and the CiONTU version and I was amazed!!! Yuzu can truly pull off everything! And his 2004 Novice program is the same case for me. How is it possible? He would be able to skate as a blond Disney princess, wouldn't he? No one would even realize he is not at all blond...

(Edit: I realize that Zigeunerweisen is not a spanish music. Maybe it is badly written. Those two Yuzu's programs I think belong to the culturally distinctive music choices.)

16 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

He would be able to skate as a blond disney princess, wouldn't he? No one would even realize he is not at all blond...

I think it was Javi who said once in an interview that Yuzu is able to 'sell' (ie convince the audience of the part he's playing) every single program he does, no matter what it is. And Yuzu himself said in one of his Olympics interviews that he normally plays the character of his programs, and added that this is why he personally found H&L a more difficult program, because it was about himself and his life, and not another character.

But the reason I think paso would suit him is because he has the fierceness and the commanding confidence to pull it off.

54 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think it was Javi who said once in an interview that Yuzu is able to 'sell' (ie convince the audience of the part he's playing) every single program he does, no matter what it is. And Yuzu himself said in one of his Olympics interviews that he normally plays the character of his programs, and added that this is why he personally found H&L a more difficult program, because it was about himself and his life, and not another character.

But the reason I think paso would suit him is because he has the fierceness and the commanding confidence to pull it off.

When Yuzu is invested in a character I happen to somehow ignore his looks.

Honestly, I think he could be any character in a Shakespeare play in Elizabethan England and no one would realize he is from modern Japan.  (Well... maybe his English would give him away...)

1 hour ago, 4Nessie said:

Oh God! You are so right! Now I won't have peace until I see him do a paso... You are so cruel!!!! :headdesk:

By the way, maybe it is an unpopular opinion, but I've seen Daisuke skating to Tango de Roxanne and I hated it. I think spanish music (and maybe other culturaly distinctive music) is not very much suited for asian skaters (I don't mean it in a bad way, just my opinion). Ok, Shoma looks kind of good with his new program and I was really surprised to see him like that.

So I was quite in shock when I found out that Yuzu skated to Zigeunerweisen and I thought it has to look strange... Then I watched the original and the CiONTU version and I was amazed!!! Yuzu can truly pull off everything! And his 2004 Novice program is the same case for me. How is it possible? He would be able to skate as a blond Disney princess, wouldn't he? No one would even realize he is not at all blond...

(Edit: I realize that Zigeunerweisen is not a spanish music. Maybe it is badly written. Those two Yuzu's programs I think belong to the culturally distinctive music choices.)

Why should saying that something doesn't suit to someone be a "bad thing"?  :confused:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Both programs this season, he has to play himself! Or the fanboy version of himself? :xD:

8 minutes ago, GoldMedalist said:

Why should saying that something doesn't suit to someone be a "bad thing"?  :confused:

It's just that in these days almost everything you say about other cultures is in many many cases seen as xenophobic, so I am only being careful not to offend anyone.

Hi guys. I was reading another forum. And they mentioned that maybe the reason Yuzu isn't signed to a big, international Sportswear Brand like Nike or Under Armor is because Mizuno makes Team Japan sportswear, and somehow JSF prohibits Skaters to be models of other Sportswear brands. What do you guys think of this? If so, why isn't he signed to Mizuno? 

For me, Yuzu is the perfect sportswear model; because he is young, good looking, has legendary career status and still competing. 

Why aren't sportswear brands jumping at him to get him to commercialize / market their brands?

Just now, quadaxelwin said:

Why aren't sportswear brands jumping at him to get him to commercialize / market their brands?

Frankly, I suspect it's more to do with the fact that in most countries figure skating isn't a big enough sport for the big brands to use Yuzu as a generic spokesperson, as the guy on the street won't know or recognize him. And even then, at a more local/national level a lot of countries would rather use their own countries sportspeople rather than another countries. 

Now, why Japanese sportswear brands don't jump at him I have no earthly clue.  Maybe they do and he just rejects the offers cause he wants to be able to use what he wants without being tied down with sponsorship requirements. 

42 minutes ago, GoldMedalist said:

Perhaps because it was not referring to 'someone', as in one particular person, but skaters from an entire continent? That makes it a blanket statement that 'A' does not suit thousands of people simply because they are from a particular continent, and that is a statement that relies on stereotyping skaters from that particular continent? There's a difference between saying 'Skater A does not move in a way that suits the movements and feeling of a tango', or saying 'the way of movement that you see from skaters who train under skating school B, especially under coaches C and D, does not do well with tangos', and saying 'Spanish music is not very suited for Asian skaters', which stereotypes both Spanish music and Asian skaters? Having that opinion is, of course, a person's choice, but acknowledging that that opinion might come across as a little offensive while expressing it is a fair thing to do? 

ETA: Especially since isn't Satton's FS this season a tango that's been getting a lot of appreciation?! And I'm pretty sure Mao did at least one tango, too. 

Just now, OonsieHui said:

Frankly, I suspect it's more to do with the fact that in most countries figure skating isn't a big enough sport for the big brands to use Yuzu as a generic spokesperson, as the guy on the street won't know or recognize him. And even then, at a more local/national level a lot of countries would rather use their own countries sportspeople rather than another countries. 

Now, why Japanese sportswear brands don't jump at him I have no earthly clue.  Maybe they do and he just rejects the offers cause he wants to be able to use what he wants without being tied down with sponsorship requirements. 

That's a shame. Because he is so handsome, and his body is lean and fit, I thought they could still use him as an image model. Then people will say "Who's that?"
and get a chance to know him from his ads. Sometimes, when I walk into the Nike Store, I don't know many of the models they use in the posters, but I still appreciate them. 

But maybe he's too expensive or something... 

Anyway, I hope we can see some sports related ads for Yuzu in the future. I love the Amino Vital ad primarily because it shows his athlete self, and commercializing products based on his athletic power is what I want to see more of, than Ghana (although I love them too). 

23 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Hi guys. I was reading another forum. And they mentioned that maybe the reason Yuzu isn't signed to a big, international Sportswear Brand like Nike or Under Armor is because Mizuno makes Team Japan sportswear, and somehow JSF prohibits Skaters to be models of other Sportswear brands. What do you guys think of this? If so, why isn't he signed to Mizuno? 

For me, Yuzu is the perfect sportswear model; because he is young, good looking, has legendary career status and still competing. 

Rika Hongo has worked as a model for Danskin (source), Kanako Murakami did the same for addidas (source), and Daisuke Takahashi has worked for Puma (source), so I think it has nothing to do with Mizuno or JSF.
I guess that's simply because Yuzu wants to wear what he wants to wear, regardless of sponsorships, etc.

9 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Perhaps because it was not referring to 'someone', as in one particular person, but skaters from an entire continent? That makes it a blanket statement that 'A' does not suit thousands of people simply because they are from a particular continent, and that is a statement that relies on stereotyping skaters from that particular continent? There's a difference between saying 'Skater A does not move in a way that suits the movements and feeling of a tango', or saying 'the way of movement that you see from skaters who train under skating school B, especially under coaches C and D, does not do well with tangos', and saying 'Spanish music is not very suited for Asian skaters', which stereotypes both Spanish music and Asian skaters? Having that opinion is, of course, a person's choice, but acknowledging that that opinion might come across as a little offensive while expressing it is a fair thing to do? 

That's what I meant. And it would be perhaps a wiser desicion not to post it at all, but I feel such things should be said because they are very common. And I am not proud of my preconception. But I know I have such opinions because people are formed by their surroundings and I hear a lot of biased information. That's why I try to actually watch those performances to relieve myself from this bias. So I thought it would be fair to point it out, but only carefully. And to be fair, I only saw Daisuke and Shoma skating to Spanish music so I can't judge all asian skaters. On the other hand, I couldn't stand Plushenko's tango either...