General Yuzuru Chat

8 minutes ago, Fay said:

You’ve got to ask him for that. But I wonder what he watched out there - Yuzuru or the fans.

The body guard uncle is a brave brave soul. Imagine looking out into the crowd and thinking, "OMG, so what I signed up for is that any given time, this is the horde that I have to fight off?" All the while imagining those TV shows where a bunch of older aunties or a bunch of younger women fight over the last scrap of discount groceries at a store, or that vera wang discount bridal gown at a wedding store. And your life flashes by where you manage to push Yuzu out, protected, but you yourself is sacrificed to the stampede. XD

32 minutes ago, Victoria said:

LOL what's this about?? Yuzu make up tips??? XD

That's pretty amazing! I've seen people use eyelid glue to turn monolids into double eyelids, but never the other way around :O

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think she's a makeup artist (Zawa-chin?) who is famous for her makeup transformations into various celebrities ^^ In this video, she basically goes through her Yuzu transformation process

On 9/28/2018 at 6:25 PM, MeowZu said:

Has this been posted already? Hahaha look at this brat lol whoever ends up with him should definitely attend Mama Hanyu's masterclass on how to deal with Yuzu

After the confusion, the disbelief, the idylliic waving of two right-handed gloves, he gives only a casual shrug. I must admit it was that shrug that got me.

On 9/28/2018 at 10:21 PM, KatjaThera said:

And now Luna's too lol I actually LOL-ed hard when Brian showed up on Wednesday at ACI with Luna in his arms. (I know other TCC skaters had their own plushy tissue cases, but I don't remember seeing Brian carry them. Only Pooh and now Luna lol)

Brian's building up a bit of a collection. He's gonna run out of arms at this rate, especially if the other skaters are going to saddle him up with their plushies...he'll need to create a special harness to carry them all.

20 時間前, Yatagarasuさんが言いました:

Fan of an idol =/= fan of an athlete and in Japan, the difference is quite big.

There's no going back now unfortunately, he is treated as somewhat of an idol but the proprietary nature of that [idol] culture makes me shudder. My only consolation is the hope that once he retires, in a year or two after that, things should settle down for him there. 

Lol,  I dunno. Maybe it's just me but with the way he and his every little action get gushed about over here and elsewhere (see: all of Japan), and the amount of stuffed toys he gets pelted with after each performance (and talks about pelting him with more stuffed toys in more varied designs) it's kinda hard to tell the difference. Not that it's a bad thing, since it's all in harmless fun and the guy does bring out that side in many of us in our happy (and did I say harmless?) appreciation of all things him, but it's also kinda funny that so many of us here seem to side-eye others for idol worshipping behavior but then turn around and talk about these other things like what we're doing ourselves are nowhere near the same. Perhaps they aren't, not 100%, but I can't help but feel there's still something eerily similar between the two, so much so that it doesn't leave a lot of room for most of us here to criticize others. 

Anyway,  I'm well aware of what the differences are supposed to be. What I'm saying is that with Hanyu the lines are blurred because of reasons. And a lot of his fans who aren't particularly fans of figure skating or even sports, have their eyes opened by him and now have a more open attitude towards sports. Those who have more of a tendency to enjoy idols also see something in him and, perhaps not all, but a lot of them are aware he's an athlete first and foremost. But even while moved by his endeavors and achievements, not being sporting fans or having vast experience supporting athletes, they are going to support him the only way they know how. So long as they don't step over certain lines (things more rampant in idol worshipping culture like invasion of privacy, delusions of the proprietary sort, misbehaving in competitions--basically the stuff you highlighted), I prefer not to judge how they want to enjoy the Hanyu Experience. Hanyu is Hanyu because despite being an athlete, there seems to be something in him for everyone. From toughened athletes who openly admire and respect him to, well, idol-appreciating fangirls (and boys). Just part of what makes the guy special and subsequently, who and what he is, I feel. :)

As far as I can tell, you can't neatly categorize him as a skater or an athlete, because he's more than that, nor can you neatly categorize him as a phenomenon, come to think of it, because he colors outside of those lines as well. You just can't put him inside a box. It just can't be done. I guess he described himself best when he said that he is nothing more or less than what and who he is. Whatever that is.

57 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Lol,  I dunno. Maybe it's just me but with the way he and his every little action get gushed about over here and elsewhere (see: all of Japan), and the amount of stuffed toys he gets pelted with after each performance (and talks about pelting him with more stuffed toys in more varied designs) it's kinda hard to tell the difference. Not that it's a bad thing, since it's all in harmless fun and the guy does bring out that side in many of us in our happy (and did I say harmless?) appreciation of all things him, but it's also kinda funny that so many of us here seem to side-eye others for idol worshipping behavior but then turn around and talk about these other things like what we're doing ourselves are nowhere near the same. Perhaps they aren't, not 100%, but I can't help but feel there's still something eerily similar between the two, so much so that it doesn't leave a lot of room for most of us here to criticize others. 

Anyway,  I'm well aware of what the differences are supposed to be. What I'm saying is that with Hanyu the lines are blurred because of reasons. And a lot of his fans who aren't particularly fans of figure skating or even sports, have their eyes opened by him and now have a more open attitude towards sports. Those who have more of a tendency to enjoy idols also see something in him and, perhaps not all, but a lot of them are aware he's an athlete first and foremost. But even while moved by his endeavors and achievements, not being sporting fans or having vast experience supporting athletes, they are going to support him the only way they know how. So long as they don't step over certain lines (things more rampant in idol worshipping culture like invasion of privacy, delusions of the proprietary sort, misbehaving in competitions--basically the stuff you highlighted), I prefer not to judge how they want to enjoy the Hanyu Experience. Hanyu is Hanyu because despite being an athlete, there seems to be something in him for everyone. From toughened athletes who openly admire and respect him to, well, idol-appreciating fangirls (and boys). Just part of what makes the guy special and subsequently, who and what he is, I feel. :)

As far as I can tell, you can't neatly categorize him as a skater or an athlete, because he's more than that, nor can you neatly categorize him as a phenomenon, come to think of it, because he colors outside of those lines as well. You just can't put him inside a box. It just can't be done. I guess he described himself best when he said that he is nothing more or less than what and who he is. Whatever that is.

On the contrary, Yuzu is exactly the dictionary definition of phenomenon:

phenomenon noun [ C ] (EXISTING THING)

C1 something that exists and can beseen, felt, tasted, etc., especiallysomething unusual or interesting:

Unless you wish to argue that he doesn't exist and can't be seen and isn't unusual or interesting.

From what I witnessed myself at ACI, there is a marked difference in behaviour between those who sportsfan Yuzu and those who idol fan Yuzu. And those who idol fan him are definitely stepping over those lines that you mention. The idol fans are willing to lose control of themselves in their pursuit of Yuzu as an object; despite some screaming, cheering, and clapping at appropriate times and some stuffed-animal tossing, the sportsfans are not willing to abandon their rationality in the same way.