General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Or, to put it in a nutshell, as another friend and recent convert to the Hanyu side did : He's superb, and it doesn't hurt that he's adorable. 

I have to agree with you that Patrick and now Nathan were/ are unlikely to ever reach a similar status, but that has a lot to do with how skating is regarded in North America vs in Japan. I've no doubt that had either of them been Japanese/ Japan-based skaters, they'd have their own massive fandoms. And I suspect that if Boyang really starts winning, and starts maximizing his programs to make the most of his own skills and style, he will have a Yuzu-like following of his own, at least within China.

But you are right, it's very hard to beat Yuzu's backstory, personality, physique, and skill for appeal. And he's got that pure and intense thing going g for him too.  I agree that if skating ever sees another one like him, it won't be anytime soon.

The size of the Japanese market for figure skating vs the rest of the world is probably another reason there is little need for Yuzu to extend his fame beyond Asia. Japan is probably by far the biggest market for figure skating now - you see other countries skaters flooding into Japan to earn money from Japanese ice shows but not the other way round. Wasn't the rating for Yuzu's segment of the Olympics like 46%, and it was midday not even during prime time? that is like half of Japan watching his wining moment. The average rating of Japan's World cup game is around the same figure .  If I recall correctly, the worlds and GP series where Yuzu competed can have average ratings of 20-30% (even during midnight hours), whereas the ones where he didn't compete (such as GPF 17 and Worlds 18) had on average single digit rating to 10+%. So whilst Japan loves figure skating in general, a lot of the popularity also is in Yuzu himself as a person that cannot be passed on to another skater even from his own country.

I remember Yuzu's childhood coach telling him to not be the coach of a particular skater in the future, but rather be in a role of a producer in spreading the popularity of the sport.  For my own selfish reasons, I hope whatever he comes up with after he retires (be it the opening of a skating school or developing skating shows) cost a lot of money so he is forced to be more active active commercially and appear on a lot of Japanese TV shows :68468287:. Cause Japan has a lot of wacky and funny game and TV shows that i am dying for Yuzu to appear on one day when he has time. He is pretty quick-witted and has such exaggerated reactions and expressions that he will be comedy gold on those shows.  

28 minutes ago, Anki said:

I remember Yuzu's childhood coach telling him to not be the coach of a particular skater in the future, but rather be in a role of a producer in spreading the popularity of the sport.  For my own selfish reasons, I hope whatever he comes up with after he retires (be it the opening of a skating school or developing skating shows) cost a lot of money so he is forced to be more active active commercially and appear on a lot of Japanese TV shows :68468287:. Cause Japan has a lot of wacky and funny game and TV shows that i am dying for Yuzu to appear on one day when he has time. He is pretty quick-witted and has such exaggerated reactions and expressions that he will be comedy gold on those shows.  

...For some reason I imagine Yuzu might still film P&G commercials ever after. Can you imagine years later, opening twitter and watching Yuzu trying to sell baby shampoos and diapers to the masses? All the while holding the baby incorrectly?  But nonetheless,  the products still sell-out like crazy.

As for TV shows in JP, I kinda want him to be a TV commentator for skating. As fun as the game shows are, his competitve instincts might take over and the poor hosts will have no idea what happened.

Seeing the ads makes me want to order the photo book immediately but I have just splurged on an IEM. :13877886:

Anyway, to continue discussion about his net-worth, I'd like to think it is more than enough. His contract with ANA and P&G alone should assure that even though he keeps donating his winning prize (some cynic might have claimed that it is a calculated move to boost his public image, but  honestly I don't give a damn. The world could be a much better place if more people can be like Yuzu and care more about their public image).