General Yuzuru Chat

Showed my mom more 'Yasari Hanro' last night. She loved Otonal and Origin, was spellbound by PC Seimei and enjoyed Sochi R&J 2.0. She's normally a woman unmoved by such things so watching her fall under Yuzu's spell is really something. I'm not sure she'll ever get his name right, though.

Just curious... I was reading a little about Yuna Kim, and I realised that her earnings and international presence (UN etc.) seem to be so much more than Yuzu's... Besides her being the only accomplished skater in her country at the time, was there any other reasons for this? Did Yuzu rise too fast against favourites, or is it just that Yuzu did not take too many commercial opportunities outside of Japan? I'm not very familiar with that era, just thought that Yuzu deserves the world considering what he has achieved and what he worked hard for haha

1 時間前, Saliorさんが言いました:

Just curious... I was reading a little about Yuna Kim, and I realised that her earnings and international presence (UN etc.) seem to be so much more than Yuzu's... Besides her being the only accomplished skater in her country at the time, was there any other reasons for this? Did Yuzu rise too fast against favourites, or is it just that Yuzu did not take too many commercial opportunities outside of Japan? I'm not very familiar with that era, just thought that Yuzu deserves the world considering what he has achieved and what he worked hard for haha

I dunno about other factors but I think a lot of it has to do with the ladies' discipline being more popular among casual audience than the men's one. It's come a long way since but general popularity still weighs a lot heavier on the ladies' side (and I'm assuming the fact that it's still seen as a girly sport doesn't really do the men's discipline a lot of favors either). Coupled with the fact the guy doesn't exactly put himself out there in the commercial market (he has like, what, a grand total of 5 endorsement contracts of mostly super practical and boring products that he does promotional content for once every 500 years?), well, it's pretty darn impressive how popular he is despite being an athlete from a niche discipline in a niche sport *and* with the scant commercial outings he's had. As was displayed at this year's ACI, it seems to be reaching a fever pitch, in fact. Guy's practically achieved mega rockstardom.

Anyway, the way I see it, Kim had neither these hurdles nor the penchant for commercial abstinence which, together with her talent, beauty and sporting success, was why I suppose her popularity exploded upwards and outwards, which she then very cleverly took advantage of to gain stronger international presence.

Hanyu could probably head down that path if he wants to after retiring but who knows with this guy. He could easily just disappear from the face of the earth to hole himself up somewhere doing research of whatever he wants to invest himself into* and appearing only in ice shows and charity stuff every so often to appease the showman and do-gooder in him. Chances are he'll stay involved with the sport one way or  another. Whether it be an active role that sees him in the spotlight every now and again or one that has him primarily in the background remains to be seen.

*Judging from his scope of interests, there's also the part-time pro-gaming path he could consider dabbling with, or he could look into going into the sound industry--a cave from which I'm pretty sure we'll never see him emerge from again.

11 hours ago, Xen said:

I feel like I might be the only one who didn't scream her head off when watching him live for the first time. Granted, I was too happily shell-shocked to be in our overlord's presence to do anything. That and concentrating on keeping him in the frame of my camera because someone skates too fast.

I don’t scream either, although I do cheer if he lands his stuff ;)

On that that topic I did think the screaming was a tad excessive at ACI this year compared to the past. I have this fancam I recorded of the Otonal costume reveal and the scream go on for a while after he unzips his jacket and you can hear me say “okay, that’s enough now, you can stop”. That type of screaming I think is more suited for concerts than figure skating, the athletes are trying to concentrate during practice still after all. 

:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: My dad just came home from Japan and told me over the phone about 'Yuzunari Hanu' and how his face was literally everywhere  :tumblr_inline_mzx95p7TPv1r8msi5: and also about how the news seemed to save about at least 5 minutes every morning just for him! My dad is the type of person that doesn't actually remember things that he doesn't focus on / have any interest in so for him to actually remember Yuzu's name (well he kind of botched it but its somewhat there?) in a single week is... :tumblr_mdpjktkDxp1qdlkyg: He kept emphasizing how much like a 'kpop idol' Yuzu is regarded there and his Japanese colleagues were talking about taking off-days to see Yuzu in Helsinki and the kind of banners they were making over lunch. He told me they were talking like going to Helsinki was a kind of 'concert' for them and I found that a little worrying tbh? It's nice to know that he's getting the love he deserves back home but he's an athlete -- not part of a boy band... :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:

I'm getting so jealous when you lucky guys talk about seeing Yuzu live. I wanted to go to Helsinki but I'm responsible for a big project that is happening right at the same time so that's impossible, and there's no way I can go to Russia either... (not even dreaming about comps out of Europe). And now I really hope he competes next season so I can see him again... (I saw him in 2011 but that's not quite the same :laughing:)

54 minutes ago, kiches said:

I don’t scream either, although I do cheer if he lands his stuff ;)

On that hat topic I did think the screaming was a tad excessive at ACI this year compared to the past. I have this fancam I recorded of the Otonal costume reveal and the scream go on for a while after he unzips his jacket and you can hear me say “okay, that’s enough now, you can stop”. That type of screaming I think is more suited for concerts than figure skating, the athletes are trying to concentrate during practice still after all. 

Agreed, but since I couldn't see him at that point because of all the groupies crowding around the athlete's entrance blocking everyone else's view, the screaming was how I knew he'd taken off his jacket...so it serves a purpose.

And I'm not sure those kinds of fans will be there as much at the actual GP events on account of the ticket prices being so much higher.

18 minutes ago, airi said:

I'm getting so jealous when you lucky guys talk about seeing Yuzu live. I wanted to go to Helsinki but I'm responsible for a big project that is happening right at the same time so that's impossible, and there's no way I can go to Russia either... (not even dreaming about comps out of Europe). And now I really hope he competes next season so I can see him again... (I saw him in 2011 but that's not quite the same :laughing:)

I hope you'll get to see him again. 

And I really think he's reached rock star status. It's troublesome in that that kind of fame is not what skating's all about, and it's not like he asked for it. On the other hand, there's no way to stop his star from rising now, he's already got 2 OGMs..

About first impression.

I also saw Yuzu for the first time in this ACI.

He actually looks more “buff” (or “built”?) than I thought.  Maybe it’s because I have been reading other fans say he is small, skinny, small face and therefore I was expecting that.  His waist is really small though and so perhaps his shoulders looks wide in comparison.  You can tell it is all muscles under his UA training gear, and so it is not just “skinny” or “noodly arms”.

He skates so fast and smooth and it is really distinctive from other skaters.  His movements are so beautiful and graceful down to the fingertips.

His face is just so beautiful, his features are delicate and his skin is pale.  All of these give off an ethereal feeling.  This feeling is really highlighted when he performed Otonal - I didn’t cry but I had that feeling of “wanting to cry” after watching that step sequence.

The venue doesn’t have good lighting (photos turn out a but yellowish, I think).  Both of his costumes are much more beautiful in person.  Much more sparkly.  The icy blue colour on Otonal is gorgeous and it really suits Yuzu’s ethereal look if you forget about “it’s supposed to look like autumn” because of the song title.