General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

This might have been mentioned by other ACI attendees in the ACI threads - haven't managed to catch up with those - but, after finally getting around to watching Origin from TV Asahi last night, I wanted to cry a bit. And not from the awesomeness, but from the fact that the TV footage does not even come anywhere close to how awesome it was live... The TV footage really does not do it justice, IMO. Everything was better in real life, from the costume and how he looked to the elements and the skating and... everything. It makes me sad they couldn't capture all that for everyone to see (and for me to be able to re-live it properly, too)...

I think seeing skating live is a totally different experience from on screen.  From the atmosphere and the music and seeing more of the nuances of the performance ..... it's so much better.   With screened performances a lot depends on the camera work.  I already  think Yuzu is absolutely amazing on screen.   So I'm extremely excited to see him live in Helsinki. :space:

To the point, Yuzu's speed does not really stand out on TV- not sure why but most skaters look like they are skating at the exact same speed on TV. But in fancams and especially live, you get a much better sense of speed and flow. Secondly, when we talk about extensions, and filling up the space. That's also something too that gets lost on TV due to cameras doing a lot of close-up on skaters' facial expressions. Yet in fancams and live, you rely more on a skater's presence, arms, legs etc extending properly and flowing properly to get the sense of music-facial expressions at least for me, is something I barely see. So who is moving, and who is not, is more noticeable in fancams and live than via TV.

From fancams, I think both Origin and Otonol look better in fancams than in TV. The pacing, and especially the languid section of Otonol seems to lose a bit in TV than live.

7 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

This might have been mentioned by other ACI attendees in the ACI threads - haven't managed to catch up with those - but, after finally getting around to watching Origin from TV Asahi last night, I wanted to cry a bit. And not from the awesomeness, but from the fact that the TV footage does not even come anywhere close to how awesome it was live... The TV footage really does not do it justice, IMO. Everything was better in real life, from the costume and how he looked to the elements and the skating and... everything. It makes me sad they couldn't capture all that for everyone to see (and for me to be able to re-live it properly, too)...

Gawdammit, @KatjaThera, way to make me jealous! I was already kuyashii because I couldn't stay for Saturday and then I had the worst day on the roads going home... well, just means I have to find a way to see it live by hook or by crook.

@Xen: those GPF Vancouver tickets are indeed calling out to me... I'll have examine ways and means and see what I can do. But I just know that arena is going to be a massive pain in the arse to get to from any hotel. 

1 hour ago, Louitunes said:

I think seeing skating live is a totally different experience from on screen.  From the atmosphere and the music and seeing more of the nuances of the performance ..... it's so much better.   With screened performances a lot depends on the camera work.  I already  think Yuzu is absolutely amazing on screen.   So I'm extremely excited to see him live in Helsinki. :space:

So very true. Live FS is amazing, and you're in for a massive treat. :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow:

8 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Yes! It was completely magical the way the entire arena fell dead silent as Yuzu took his pose to begin Otonal, and the atmosphere was electric as everyone clapped and cheered each time he landed a jump. You just don't get that from watching TV!

Since I recently discovered Yuzu during the PC Olys, I feel incredibly lucky and blessed that I was able to see him compete at ACI. I love both of his programs and have been rewatching them over and over. His Otonal costume is so gorgeous, it is easily my favorite.

I can't believe I was able to see Yuzu SO CLOSE UP! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: In one of the practices, he jumped a 3A in front of me that was so high, there's no doubt he is training nessie! I can't wait to see what his programs will look like next time. You lucky people who will be going to Helsinki are definitely in for a real treat!

@rockstaryuzu: It was such a bummer that you had to leave early and miss out on seeing Origin. You should definitely go to GPF! I'll be there and would love to hang out and chat with you again!

Random post:

After rewatching like crazy I have to say, I didn't care before, but Cha Jun-Hwan is now slowly growing on me... He is like little Korean Shoma, but not so awkward when skating around. :68468287:

(Don't worry Yuzu, you will always be the first...)