General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Bilge said:

So they didn't allow some people with tickets in? and also what happened last year?

I think they simply didn't put all available tickets up for sale. Not straight away, at least. Tickets had been supposedly sold out but a week or so before ACI they became available for sale again so I think the organizes put up on sales the remaining tickets they had withheld before. It would have been too late for Japanese/Chinese/European fans o organize a trip but it would have enable lockal people to go if they wanted.

Last year was fighting for best seasts which were unassigned, people reserving their seats with a scarf and staff, unfamiliar with the custom, removing those scarves which resulted in fans being angry or confused. So, chaos.

ACI would probably run a little smoother if they switched to assigned seating.

9 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

If you ask for permission first and he is okay with it, why not?

If you were in a situation where you got the chance to talk to him for long enough that you could ask for a selfie, why not just soak up the moment and be present in the conversation instead? Sometimes cameras are nothing but a distraction. 

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

ACI would probably run a little smoother if they switched to assigned seating.

If you were in a situation where you got the chance to talk to him for long enough that you could ask for a selfie, why not just soak up the moment and be present in the conversation instead? Sometimes cameras are nothing but a distraction. 

Because in the time span of 1-2 minutes some people would prefer to have photos to memorize the meeting. And maybe as a proof that the meeting is not just a hallucination lol. 

11 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

Because in the time span of 1-2 minutes some people would prefer to have photos to memorize the meeting. And maybe as a proof that the meeting is not just a hallucination lol. 

Idk... on the one hand I think it's fine to ask, and if he says yes it's fine. On the other hand, part of me feels like we shouldn't even approach him in his private time, because it's just that, private time. 

And on a slightly unrelated note, I've seen a few people here mention "he's an athlete not a celebrity" when talking about Yuzu having to deal with " overenthusiastic " fans, as if if he was a celebrity the situation could be fine or acceptable. And I don't agree with that at all. I don't think it's right, even when it is a celebrity. Even a celebrity is a person with a right to privacy and private time. It's a fact of the job that it has a higher correlation with paparazzi and fans, but just because it happens doesn't make it right, and doesn't mean we just shrug it off and accept it, and God forbid even contribute to it. 

1 hour ago, Lambari said:

I think having crazy fans is really inevitable, it depends on the size of the fandom more than anything.  And it's not only with people that are exclusively Yuzuru fans, there's general skating fans out there that can have their crazy on par with them. Maybe after Yuzuru retires ISU will have a bit of crisis when it comes to sponsors. I remember watching some Worlds press conference and how at the board on the background there were almost only japanese sponsors.  The importance of japanese fans for the sport is tremendous.  But Japan has a long history of great skaters, maybe it will less a bit the impact if new great talents come. 

Also, not only financially, but when a star at the level of Yuzuru retires they leave kind of a void since they are the one propelling the sport in all levels. Yuzuru is one the athletes that transcends their sport, so It's inevitable that some fans will leave when he retires.  Of course a new star will eventually come and similarly make their mark,  but there's a few skaters that leave a profound impact on the sport.  At least for me I don't think I will follow very closely the men's discipline. Although I love the sport in general, I'm much more interested in ladies skating so of course I will be watching in the future (Kostornaia!) I check all disciplines here and there but most of the programs I rewatch are from Ladies. Sometimes I think that it's the feminine/masculine combo  in Yuzuru's skating that attracts me more than anything. I don't care much for most of the 'traditional' men's skaters. So unless a skater with similar characteristics arrive (and maybe they will because of Yuzuru's influence) Mens will be at the back of my mind.  

It's the opposite for me. Yuzu drew me back into watching skating, it's true. And I went to ACI mainly so I could see him in person, although I also wanted to see Evgenia, Jason, Jun-hwon, and Kevin Reynolds. And Brian and Tracy. 

I came home with the following list of skaters I'm now going to follow: 

Roman Sadovsky

Kevin Aymoz

the two Irish lads (who knew Ireland even had skaters? Wow)

Julian Yi

Josefin Taljegard of Sweden ( she had two fantastic skates, moves like a dream, just gorgeous!)

Mae Berenice Mate

Yura Matsuda

Alexia Paganini

Morgan and Cipres

Weaver and Poje

Soucisse and Firus

...and at least two or three other skaters that their names escape me right now.

There's enough there to keep me going for years, and I wouldn't know most of them without having gone to see Yuzu skate. 

15 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

I get that, but sometimes it's easier to.make memories with a smile and a little chit-chat than a photo.

9 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

Idk... on the one hand I think it's fine to ask, and if he says yes it's fine. On the other hand, part of me feels like we shouldn't even approach him in his private time, because it's just that, private time. 

And on a slightly unrelated note, I've seen a few people here mention "he's an athlete not a celebrity" when talking about Yuzu having to deal with " overenthusiastic " fans, as if if he was a celebrity the situation could be fine or acceptable. And I don't agree with that at all. I don't think it's right, even when it is a celebrity. Even a celebrity is a person with a right to privacy and private time. It's a fact of the job that it has a higher correlation with paparazzi and fans, but just because it happens doesn't make it right, and doesn't mean we just shrug it off and accept it, and God forbid even contribute to it. 

Hmmm... Certainly got a point there. I'd imagine he would not mind as long as the fan being courteous about it, but probably they also need to be considerate about what he is doing or who he is with. 

On the other hand, I can also understand the urge to approach your idol in a once in a lifetime situation.... :yznotimpressed:

Regarding Ghislain, I think he's a genuinely nice guy, who really likes talking to people and there's nothing wrong with that. I do wonder, however, if he's as media/public/fans savvy as Brian or Tracy. I don't think he ever got this much attention before and he might not know how to deal with some things. I still remember when he said Yuzu was crying when he withdrew from NHK. I always wondered if Yuzu ok-ed that detail - for Ghislain it was probably just something he added to show that Yuzu felt really awful about it, but personally, if it were me, I'd rather have such a detail kept private - or if Brian or Tracy would have said it. I tend to lean towards no, because both of them, and especially Brian, know what it's like when your every gesture is put under the magnifying glass and would have kept the extent of Yuzu's upset private. Of course, it was no big deal, but it made me wonder then and now it's making me wonder again, if Ghislain has that media/public speaking experience.I mean, Brian learned the hard way to be very sensitive to what skaters want revealed and what not, so I'm sure he's particularly careful. Most of the time, at least... It's nothing against Ghislain, really - he's way too nice to ever dislike - and unless he revealed really big things, I'm sure nobody will get mad at him, but knowing the extent to which Yuzu is private and even secretive, I'd really personally not reveal anything Yuzu doesn't reveal himself. Then again, I'm used to keeping bits of info to myself, at least for a while, to see if it comes from elsewhere or not... I guess in the age of SNS that's harder to do, though...

As for selfies and pictures, I get it, actually. Memories fade away eventually, but a picture you can keep for a very very long time. At times like that - though it also goes for competitions, concerts etc. - it's essential to find a balance that is ideal for you. Some people are fine with no pictures and want to be there 100%. Others want just the footage and that's enough. Others do both, to various extents. I was determined not to film anything on Friday and Saturday, but in the end, I really wanted a few things for myself, so I still filmed. I also filmed on Thursday, mostly because I knew the official footage wasn't great. But I didn't film the actual runthroughs or programs. Those I wanted to experience just with my own eyes. So I think it really depends from person to person.

But actually, I agree. I'm also in favor of not approaching at all. Hell, like I said, I didn't even approach skaters/coaches at the rink, although they were there and very approachable. At most, I'd probably just say omedetou or ganbatte kudasai (to Yuzu that is), if I ran into him somewhere, but even that I'd do in the most non-intrusive and not-attention drawing way possible. But I probably wouldn't even do that...

4 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

On the other hand, I can also understand the urge to approach your idol in a once in a lifetime situation.... :yznotimpressed:

And I think that feeling is understandable, as long as it's also coupled with a healthy understanding that said person does not owe you anything, is not obligated to agree to anything or even to act a certain way with you. (E.g. I've seen people get mad when celebrities got upset for being disturbed during private time. Like seriously, wouldn't you be mad if someone disturbed you in your private time?). 

My personal opinion is that if it's at the person's "job" e.g. during competition time for athletes, at open movie premieres for actors, during concerts / fan meets for singers, it's fine to try to interact (within the obvious and should be common sense boundaries of respect and politeness).

Any other time is personal private time and they, photos/videos of them, yelling for them to notice etc are all off limits. 

Then there's the in between times. (E.g. travelling to and from venues). My personal opinion is that cheering from a distance and remaining at a respectful distance is fine, any thing to do with approaching them is not. 

I would be interested to hear what others think. :)

I get that he is a public figure so I dont mind the idea of people approaching him when he is in public as long as he seems okay with it. But still the idea of approaching Yuzu is beyond me. I'm thinking how? Really, for me, sometimes just looking at his videos and picture gives me heart attack. To be able to reach that close to him, being in the same city he's in, in the same ice rink, and sensing his presence are all scary thoughts. If I am able to be one of the audience, I wouldnt dare to purchase that front row seat. Imagine having that feline face glance back at you for a fracton of second *shivers* I feel like Yuzu is someone I would love to watch and respect from afar. He gives off this unreachable aura. Okay I sound like a coward I should stop now

28 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I get that, but sometimes it's easier to.make memories with a smile and a little chit-chat than a photo.

Thiiiiiiis. Holy shit. THIIIIS. Yuzuru is used to having cameras splatted all over his face. I'm sure he wouldn't mind having a human conversation, while being treated humanly. On the contrary, it's something else being stopped by a stranger and being told "Oh my god, can I take a picture?" Like you are an object. 

One other thing is taking a photo after you've had a nice exchange. Which is what happened to me with Lambiel and Deniss at Worlds. 

I'm not against asking for pictures (I asked a fair share myself), it's the way you do it, and the timing, and the sensitivity you show. A conversation, in any case, will always be worth ten times more. Or even just a glance. (Kolyada giving me the Ci, can we talk about that?? INSTANTLY STANNED.)

I guess there are different sorts of things you can ask to a person you admire, and it's always legit to approach in a polite way. I don't think that "right to privacy" means "should never be approached". For me, "right to privacy" means "Do not take for granted that you are owed anything by this person only because you admire them". 

12 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

And I think that feeling is understandable, as long as it's also coupled with a healthy understanding that said person does not owe you anything, is not obligated to agree to anything or even to act a certain way with you. (E.g. I've seen people get mad when celebrities got upset for being disturbed during private time. Like seriously, wouldn't you be mad if someone disturbed you in your private time?). 

My personal opinion is that if it's at the person's "job" e.g. during competition time for athletes, at open movie premieres for actors, during concerts / fan meets for singers, it's fine to try to interact (within the obvious and should be common sense boundaries of respect and politeness).

Any other time is personal private time and they, photos/videos of them, yelling for them to notice etc are all off limits. 

Then there's the in between times. (E.g. travelling to and from venues). My personal opinion is that cheering from a distance and remaining at a respectful distance is fine, any thing to do with approaching them is not. 

I would be interested to hear what others think. :)

If I had a chance to approach and it wouldn't be too awkward or intrusive, I guess I'd try to make it about him... like congratulating him, wishing him luck, not asking for an autograph or a selfie or something that is about me. That's for private. Though that would be mostly in a situation where pretending I don't know who he is would be more awkward.

I agree that on the 'job' approaching is generally ok, as long as it's done respectfully and leaving any kind of physical interaction up to them (I will never not cringe at fans hugging celebrities out of their own initiative, especially when Japanese celebrities >_< Asking for a hug is marginally better, but you don't give them much of a choice like that, either...). And of course, not interrupting or so.

Agreed on private time.

As for in between, I'd say it depends on a lot of things. For example, on a bad day, I'd rather he be left alone. Even if the intention is good, I'm not sure he'd want to see fans in between. On a good day, I'd be all for it. I am however a bigger fan of clapping or shouting congrats and good luck than non-descript shrieking, because that doesn't really tell him much, just that he has very loud fans. And of course, yes, keeping a respectful distance. Also, only if the place to see him is easily accessible. If you have to search too hard, it means either the organizers arranged it so, or he wanted it so, and that's a good hint to stay away, IMO.

I think the best place to show support is still in the venue, though. Banners, applause and cheering should be our universal language.

Still recovering from the majestic Evil King's spell. :10742290: All our anxious wait and wishes truly rewarded with more than what we have hoped for and over:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Crazy fans are everywhere. When you look at pop/rock concerts, big sports events, and even royal weddings, incidents can happen anytime anywhere because of the crazy fans. It is unfortunate that we are all called Hanyu fans because we are bound together with our love for Mr Hanyu. But we shouldn't forget that how each of us behave in supporting Yuzu could have consequences that could damage Yuzu mentally and (I hope not but) physically. I know some people are purely delusional that they do not care or are not capable of caring the very person they admire (or desire I think...). Super enthusiastic people can be on the borderline if they're too involved in the situation and forget about what is acceptable behaviour for everyone including Yuzu. I'm sad and worried with Ghislain's words about Yuzu being too scared to go out because of the fans get too crazy. I've seen a YT video of the fans literally following him outside a comp venue right up until he gets in a car and left. It looked sooo wired and I wished people just leave him in peace. You can keep a distance and look if you want but follow around walking right behind him as if you're one of his crews is beyond creepy. I am usually very optimistic but after watching the video, obsessive & possessive fans are the dangerous kind of people and if Yuzu has to face that sort of people every time he goes out, no wonder he becomes more and more reclusive.

When I lived in London, I happened to run into few celebs over the years and one of them was Tsuyoshi Kusanagi of SMAP. It was more than 20 years ago I think but I was in a ramen noodle place with my friend and we had just ordered a big meal each because we're hungry. And we noticed few people were looking over two Japanese guys eating ramens and my friend said "That's Kusanagi-kun". Then a young girl hesitantly went over to them and asked for an autograph. Kusanagi even shook her hand. But we're too embarrassed to do the same as  we're 1) Two women with large ramen & gyozas in front of them  :68468287: and 2) They were clearly enjoying private time eating yummy noodles  :67638860:

I can't understand why some of the mature aged Japanese obasans cannot respect Yuzu. I am middle aged woman myself but I certainly do not want to be tarred with the same brush :59227c768286a__s: as I have too much respect for him to dare invade his private life and personal space. I understand when you're young it is hard to contain yourself if you happen to meet your idol in person but if you're grown up, behave like you don't care about anybody else but yourself is just plain selfish more than anything else. Those people should not be called fans but are pests. 

14 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Still recovering from the majestic Evil King's spell. :10742290: All our anxious wait and wishes truly rewarded with more than what we have hoped for and over:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

(all)

I am one of the clueless one. Often times when I went to malls with my friends they will whisper things like "Hey that is those actress/singer" and I'll just "Huh, who?" :68468287:

But then, a friend of mine has idolized Alessandro del Piero for a long time, so when she heard that he played for a club in Australia she went there, watching him on practice and wait for about 5 hours to ask for a selfie and autograph. And she is very happy about it.