General Yuzuru Chat

37 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

It's really sad to see this kind of behaviour from "fans"- I've only seen it otherwise in k-pop and it can get really ugly at its extremes (ie sasaeng fans). I hope the people that are doing this mature a little and realise that they're actually harming the people they proclaim to be fans of. 

The lady leading the mob running after Nathan in Nagano had a head of completely grey hair so... congratulations on your fitness but I'm glad FS isn't that popular in America. :D

38 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

When he came out on Thursday, I was right by the skaters entrance and my first thought - really weird, too, because duh? - was that he's just a normal guy. A kid, really. And yet there's all this craziness about him. Of course, then he took to the ice and you could see that ok, he's not just any kid, but every time he came close, I had these two thoughts: one that he really is beautiful, and the other that he's just so normal.

My first impression seeing him, too. Just a little boy. An amazing boy but a boy nonetheless. God-level cute but human, not that I'd felt much differently before but it's quite striking in person. It felt strange hearing people go so crazy, even though I could understand. It made my heart ache for him a bit. The way he's handled the insane pressure and adoration at such a young age is remarkable.

13 minutes ago, Ashley2162018 said:

I have never been to a competition where Yuzu is present.

But I was able to see him live on Fantasy on Ice.

I never heard of such stories of crazy fans, but maybe because the venue and organizers were more prepared.

I wish for him better times.

I mean if we want him to compete more in the future, he should feel secure and sane doing so.

Becuase if being mobbed becomes routinary for, seeing how private he is, we are all gonna lose him in the end.

I hope people realize this before we all suffer in the end.

I feel so sad for him. He's such a kind, generous, and open-hearted young man, I'd hate for him to become weary and even more reclusive because of these crazy people. I'm glad he has so many wonderful people to look after him.

I hope they'll consider allocated seating in the future. It's a shame for those who behave but his safety and the safety of fans should be a priority.

You know, there's another aspect to this which is the fact that ultimately the behaviour of Yuzu's fans ends up reflecting on him and affecting him. So my thinking is that it would be great if all of his fans adopted the kind of behaviour he would show to others in any situation: ie, courtesy, respect, and kindness. I think it would instantly resolve the issue if that were to happen. 

Just now, rockstaryuzu said:

You know, there's another aspect to this which is the fact that ultimately the behaviour of Yuzu's fans ends up reflecting on him and affecting him. So my thinking is that it would be great if all of his fans adopted the kind of behaviour he would show to others in any situation: ie, courtesy, respect, and kindness. I think it would instantly resolve the issue if that were to happen. 

But that's the problem- the reason why you are chasing after say, an Idol/justin bieber isn't because you considered his/her feelings, it's from a purely selfish perspective. It's about you, the fan, personally liking this person so much, mixed with fear that you may never see said idol/star again. And for said star/idol/Yuzu (especially Yuzu), not passively accepting the actions would seem rude to the fandom at large (especially since he's aware there are polite fans out there).

I think it's fine if fans just waited in public areas with support banners, so long as they don't go crazy. But stalking into off-access areas (like skaters training or warm up area), chasing after his car, stalking to hotels etc, that's a bit insane and crosses the line. =/

27 minutes ago, Xen said:

Edit: also, if Yuzu lurks here. Lurker Zu, the mentioning of wishing people to respect other skaters and your privacy is fine. But, in my opinion, there's no need for you to defend your fandom and your fans' actions, kind and heart warming as it is. We can do it ourselves, and you defending fans, might be construed by the more fanatical sections as tacit allowance to go crazy at your expense. And it doesn't really change public perception of that section of the fandom. Public perception towards Hanyu fans, sadly, have to be changed by actions of said fandom.

Did he defend them? I know that usually he's pretty straightforward about 'disciplining' his fans when necessary. Like the shushing.

Just now, KatjaThera said:

Did he defend them? I know that usually he's pretty straightforward about 'disciplining' his fans when necessary. Like the shushing.

I don't think he has and gods I hope he never gets the notion to do so-wasn't there times when it seems he's aware of how his fandom is viewed? It's good to see he's more assertive. Our fandom has to take care of its own self image, and so far it's a mixed bag. =/

@Xen oh I agree with you totally. One of the weirder, creepier aspects of my encounter with the stalker-fan was that I got the distinct impression she was trying to make everyone else go away, even if they were just standing there quietly to see him pass, so that she could have Yuzu to herself if he happened to walk by. Which felt so extremely wrong to me that I had to get away from her.  It's as you said, it was all about her with no thought to what he might think. And I really wondered what she might do if someone happened to get in her way. 

Anyway, it all just means that the rest of us should behave with care towards/ around Yuzu so as not to cause problems. 

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

I don't think he has and gods I hope he never gets the notion to do so-wasn't there times when it seems he's aware of how his fandom is viewed? It's good to see he's more assertive. Our fandom has to take care of its own self image, and so far it's a mixed bag. =/

I agree. I admire people who are strict with their fans. And knowing how good a diplomat he is, I think he'd manage to discipline without seeming too harsh.

Actually, the shushing made me re-assess my actions, too lol So I consider myself scolded by the Evil Overlord, too.

Personally, the way I hold myself in check is by putting myself in the shoes of whoever it is I'm a fan of. If it were me, how would people doing this make me feel? Few things can make you back off faster than that, IMO.

But, I do regret not having faster reaction times. For example, when I was reliving the Friday entrance madness in my head, I was thinking I could have probably helped, too, by calling out in Japanese for people to back off - because they couldn't open the doors. But additionally, in my head, came also a message of "Do you think this would make Yuzu proud?!" That sort of thing never happens in real life, though 😅

@KatjaThera @rockstaryuzu : if I could help out in any way, I wish that I were about 15-16 cm taller. I've been mistaken to be male frequently enough, due to general broad shoulders and super flatness, that I'd love to sacrifice and help out by luring the more insane ones away. Maybe I'll regret it after they start coming after me, but hey, good motivation to train up for marathon running right? :space:

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

@KatjaThera @rockstaryuzu : if I could help out in any way, I wish that I were about 15-16 cm taller. I've been mistaken to be male frequently enough, due to general broad shoulders and super flatness, that I'd love to sacrifice and help out by luring the more insane ones away. Maybe I'll regret it after they start coming after me, but hey, good motivation to train up for marathon running right? :space:

You could dress up in Seimei costume and be a decoy!:LOL:

I'd love to contribute to the effort as well but my non-Japanese features and Rubenesque figure would sadly work against me there...on the other hand the average fanyu is about 1/3 my size so maybe I could help by squashing them? :yznotimpressed:

With the wide range of fans' obsession toward him, hope he will always careful and has sufficient protection. I have seen how some fans chasing after their idols (sometimes those incidents even make it to the news here) and with his idol status he is bound to experience same things. Regrettable, but instead of being optimistic on the situation I'd prefer him (and his security team) to be alert.

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

The lady leading the mob running after Nathan in Nagano had a head of completely grey hair so... congratulations on your fitness but I'm glad FS isn't that popular in America. :D

Are they (the mob) Japanese?

All the Japanese I encounter in my life were very polite and respectful. So I somehow find it peculiar if they are being rude like that.

Yuzu’s crazy stalker fans is the reason I’ve never really been in an fandom before, I had the chance to meet my idol, an Olympic champion (a French rider) but in this discipline you’d never see that kind of behavior. I always have been weary of people thinking the person they stan belongs to them somehow and that gives them the « right » to invade his/her privacy. Fortunately I found the Planet and fans that I could relate to, crazy but in a good way. 

It’s sad that Yuzu, who’s such a gentle soul, has to take mesures to be protected from the people who clame to love him. 

48 minutes ago, Xen said:

Platforms can solve that problem. The important question is are you sufficiently mushroomy?