General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Toni said:

Okay, I'm home and rested, so it's time to recount my lovely conversation with Ghislain Briand,

[admin edit: privacy]

ME:  I'm sorry to interrupt, but I wanted to ask you to give something special to Yuzu for me that's too small to throw on the ice." 

GHISLAIN:  "Of course, no problem." 

I handed him the little gold Winnie the Pooh ice-skating pin I bought for Yuzu. 

ME:  "See, it's a Winnie the Pooh pin.  He has ice-skates on AND it's gold.  It's very old and I bought it for him off e-bay.  Do you mind giving it to him?" 

GHISLAIN:  "Oh, yes, he'll LOVE it.  I promise to give it to him -- but AFTER the (short) program.  I don't want to distract him." 

ME (shaking his hand):  "Thank you so much.  And thank you for doing such a great job with Yuzu." 

GHISLAIN:  "Oh no, it's all HIM.  He puts in all the hard work.  He's the one." 

ME:  "Never-the-less, thank you!  By the way, is he going to try the Quad Axle here?" 

GHISLAIN:  "No, it's too soon." 

ME:  "How about at Vancouver?" 

GHISLAIN:  "That's up to Yuzu.  He's the boss.  He makes his own decisions.  He's in control, and he'll know when he's ready." 

ME:  "Oh well, I have a ticket for Vancouver too, so I'll be hoping he's ready by then.  Thank you again for taking care of him and have a great competition with ALL your skaters." 

GHILAIN:  "Thank you very much." 

s-l640.jpg

That's a lovely moment and I'm very glad you got to give the pin to him, it's really pretty and so appropriate. 

But would you mind editing the private conversation out, even if no names are mentioned? Even if you weren't eavesdropping, it was meant to be private, after all.

1 hour ago, Toni said:

[admin edit: privacy]

About this: I was a Stojko fan back then, and he actually worked too hard. Towards the end of his career it became obvious that he had burnt himself out and aggravated too many injuries. I hope Ghislain is able to use that experience to prevent the same thing happening to Yuzuru.

12 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

@ToniThanks so much for sharing Gishlain's impressions of Yuzu, it's really touching, but perhaps it would be a good idea to just remove any mention of anyone else at all? Even if you don't mention names, it starts gossip and I'm sure Gishlain wouldn't like that. 

That's a good point.

11 hours ago, Yoa said:

:10814716:

Besides the spin issues of ACI 2018, didn't his Olympic Chopin SP have a spin sequence downgraded because he didn't hold it for a fraction of a rotation longer? Otherwise it may have been a new WR?

That said, I just worry that such a banner might be distracting for him?

8 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

Besides the spin issues of ACI 2018, didn't his Olympic Chopin SP have a spin sequence downgraded because he didn't hold it for a fraction of a rotation longer? Otherwise it may have been a new WR?

You could always hold it up during one of the open practices while he's on the ice. That way, he has time to see it and take it in without it throwing him off right before competing. Also, if you sit across from where he comes in and the coaches sit during practice, it'll give Brian, Tracy, and Ghislain a laugh, too.

12 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

He didn't hold the skate over head pancake position for long enough, but even with that he wouldn't have got the WR, I think. Though I don't think anything could distract him when he's skating.