General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Ager said:

Dr. Jekill and Mr. Hyde perhaps? Same as in giggly and murder face .. I feel it worth to go deep into the topic

Hi! I am new as well and trying but not sure anymore in whether I can conquer all 4001 pages - I started and now on 380 pages:headdesk: .... then I realised that I just have to keep up with the current conversations and decided to go to 3950 and be updated... So now I am in two different places on the same thread:3: well.. we'll see how it goes.

Congrats on 4000 pages!

Welcome to the Planet, enjoy your stay here! :)

5 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

I find it strange that Yuzu has very simple casual fashion sense in day to day life but almost johnny weirish lady gaga sparkle, glamorous fashion sense for skating costumes.

It's the complete opposite to his normal day fashion style :darklordyuzu:

He prolly has that Mark Zuckerberg/Steve Jobs thingy: has many similar casual clothes as it takes less effort to mix and match. That way he can dedicate most of his brain power toward his art. 

6 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Kira Kira in Japanese lol.

I find it strange that Yuzu has very simple casual fashion sense in day to day life but almost johnny weirish lady gaga sparkle, glamorous fashion sense for skating costumes.

It's the complete opposite to his normal day fashion style :darklordyuzu:

I'm sure Johnny Weir had some influence on his fashion sense, but I wonder if he also gets it from what he sees on TV?

I watch some Japanese shows and TV, and Johnny's Entertainment boybands and actors are everywhere.  Compared to large amounts of feathers, furs, SUPER-bling, glitter,  ruffles, draperies, in your face and just "WHAT the??" costumes I have endured from Johnny's talents over the years, Yuzu's costume are almost normal to me. The very first program of Yuzu I saw was R&J 2 , and I didn't find the costumes to be out of the ordinary.  It was only later when I read people's complaints about boob skirts and that I went back and realised "oh there is actually lace on it" (I didn't even register the first time lol).

I have always wondered at the Japanese boyband costumes, but then maybe girls actually like it? Many years ago I went on exchange to Japan high school for a month, and the excessive amount of bling and rhinestones encrusted on the girls' mobile phones and accessories shocked me - like just soooo much. Also the English teacher there was shocking too. I only knew very basic Japanese and I understood the Japanese teacher better than the English teacher (her grammar and accent made no sense to me, and English is my first language :xD: ) Hence, I completely understand Hanyu's English struggle if that was what he had to grow up with...

2 hours ago, Anki said:

I'm sure Johnny Weir had some influence on his fashion sense, but I wonder if he also gets it from what he sees on TV?

I watch some Japanese shows and TV, and Johnny's Entertainment boybands and actors are everywhere.  Compared to large amounts of feathers, furs, SUPER-bling, glitter,  ruffles, draperies, in your face and just "WHAT the??" costumes I have endured from Johnny's talents over the years, Yuzu's costume are almost normal to me. The very first program of Yuzu I saw was R&J 2 , and I didn't find the costumes to be out of the ordinary.  It was only later when I read people's complaints about boob skirts and that I went back and realised "oh there is actually lace on it" (I didn't even register the first time lol).

I have always wondered at the Japanese boyband costumes, but then maybe girls actually like it? Many years ago I went on exchange to Japan high school for a month, and the excessive amount of bling and rhinestones encrusted on the girls' mobile phones and accessories shocked me - like just soooo much. Also the English teacher there was shocking too. I only knew very basic Japanese and I understood the Japanese teacher better than the English teacher (her grammar and accent made no sense to me, and English is my first language :xD: ) Hence, I completely understand Hanyu's English struggle if that was what he had to grow up with...

Me too! Arashi (although they also have some great costumes) desensitized me to Yuzu's costumes! As well as the weird and flamboyant clothing from anime and live actions. So I didn't bat an eye at Yuzu at first.

But honestly I think some Japanese people may also find JE outfits over the top. But that's what JE aims for imo. A performance needs a peformance costume, and it probably has roots in theater, and after a while I prefer costumes than none at all.

Edit: I think Yuzu puts extra work into his costumes because he has a similar view in that it is part of the peformance. If I was a skater, a good costume would be a good way for me to flip the switch to on mode too.

2 hours ago, Anki said:

This reminds me of that whole discussion when some fans argued Hanyu is challenging gender norms by using "feminine" costumes and others responded that it's probably nothing intentional because the standards of "masculinity/femininity" are somewhat different in Japan. Personally I agree with the latter viewpoint. Japan simply has different conventions, especially in the arts. Ofc Yuzu's costumes are more over the top than many other male skaters' but I don't think that's because he is particularly interested in challenging gender norms, it's just his style and it's not seen as a big deal in Japan. I mean of course we don't know his personal motivations, but afaik he's never talked about gender norms in any interviews and I don't think it's really an issue he thinks about a lot when choosing costumes. It seems to me that he's in touch with both his masculine and feminine sides and can make any costume his own  :10636614:

Happy 4000!

I’m not sure if this should be posted on Media Day thread. 

Here is the preview of AERA weekly magazine interview with Yuzu during media day. 

https://news.dwango.jp/news/31143-1809

This Sept. 17 issue has 3 page interview with Yuzu and will be released on Sept. 10.  He told the reporter how he felt after he won 2 consecutive OGM.

Hanyu talked about the change in his mindset. “After the Olympics, with a sense of accomplishment I felt like I’ve had done enough.  However after being away from skating for a little while I came to realize that it’s not necessary to cling to the notion of winning or losing.  I told myself maybe it’s about time to skate for myself.”  Also, the admiration (to his idol skaters) when he was an elementary school kid, and 4A which no one in the world has completed yet are two key words that brought back Hanyu to the ice.

Aaah, sorry I missed 4K pages!! Happy 4K!! We are getting bigger and bigger every day c: like Nessie

Spoiler

couldn't be on the planet because until 10 minutes ago and for the past week I was convinced my bf was dead, and I just heard from him after 7 days of silence, so it's an understatement to say that I am very happy now lol. 

5 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Aaah, sorry I missed 4K pages!! Happy 4K!! We are getting bigger and bigger every day c: like Nessie

Hide contents

couldn't be on the planet because until 10 minutes ago and for the past week I was convinced my bf was dead, and I just heard from him after 7 days of silence, so it's an understatement to say that I am very happy now lol. 

Spoiler

:tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid: 

so happy for you! :10742289:

Finally caught up with this thread and this is the first post after a month...
Happy 4K pages!
I wasn't/will not be able to contribute much to adding the page count because I have things to finish until ACI, but looking forward to witnessing his new season here!

By the way, Figure Skate TV tonight features domestic competitions held this summer and Yuzu's open practice so we'll see footage of other skaters too.

Hope we'll get some new footage of Origin and Otonal too...:fingerscrossed:

So today I went out to lunch with a friend, and while we were catching up I happen to mention I'm going to Toronto in a couple weeks time. One thing lead to another and suddenly I found myself trying to explain about Hanyu....and burbling and giggling like a teenage girl talking about her first crush...see what you cause, Yuzu? 

:1: