General Yuzuru Chat

13 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Well the Japanese media certainly loves 

orimpiku "Ni Nen Pa"

or GPF "Yon Nen Pa"

It's just another achievement title. Consecutive titles are hard to achieve likewise too.

I remember Japanese commentary always emphasizing it was Yuzu's "Yon nen pa" when he won GPF in 2016. 

They emphasize it more than any other media in my opinion :xD:

I think consecutive titles show dominance, but for me it needs to be a string of about 4 to make me think much of it.  Like, if Yuzu gets a 3rd worlds (this year please skate gods), I don't consider that lesser than Chan's 3. Gold is gold.  

9 minutes ago, Maleko said:

LMAO I can't with this account :embSwan:

SOURCE

I'm not sure about the fashion sense....there was that great white T-shirt of last media day. Actually, other than for those commercials does he wear anything other than black, white and gray? Sometimes navy? I think the most vibrant colors are on his UA.

Just now, Xen said:

I'm not sure about the fashion sense....there was that great white T-shirt of last media day. Actually, other than for those commercials does he wear anything other than black, white and gray? Sometimes navy? I think the most vibrant colors are on his UA.

The best colors are on his costumes :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:

7 minutes ago, Xen said:

He saves crazy color schemes for his costumes. Hahahaha! 

51 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

Well Javi doesn't have GPF gold either.  And of course winning a consecutive Olympics highly trumps a consecutive worlds.  I don't really get why it's a bigger deal to win something consecutively a couple times (save for the olys due to the time gap). Winning consecutively shows good performance over a closer period.  Winning things spread out shows that you're capable of reaching the top level over a longer time period.  

Olympic gold is worth about 4 Worlds gold just by regularity and the extra amount of pressure skaters have to endure  ( I know fans of skaters who never won Olympic and only Worlds love to argue against that), but that is how it is reflected in the skating world. I recall Shizuka saying that she originally wanted to retire when she won Worlds but she did not get much pay-rise at the ice shows. Because of that she continued on to go to the Olympics, and after she won, the pay rise was huge. And if you look at the title of skaters on the Japanese ice shows, if a skater has an Olympic silver or bronze, they get introduced as such even if they had won World gold. Hence, at least in Japan, any Olympic medal is worth more than Worlds gold.

Hence the lack of a Olympic medal at Sochi is why Javi never was seen as to be in an equal rivalry with Yuzu the way Yagudin/Plushenko or Yuna/Mao was.

Consecutively just sounds good I guess - has a more ring to it.  

Compared to that I don't understand why people place more value on Patrick's 3 consecutive World wins than Yuzu's 4 consecutive GPF wins - I understand World still has  higher legacy prestige than GPF due to its longer history, but in reality winning the GPF is no less harder than World - the pressure is the same for both -  in fact GPF is harder because you have to prove yourself over three events, such that the winner is less likely to be a "just happen to have a good day" type of winner. Hopefully after GPF has a longer history its prestige increases.

56 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

Well Javi doesn't have GPF gold either.  And of course winning a consecutive Olympics highly trumps a consecutive worlds.  I don't really get why it's a bigger deal to win something consecutively a couple times (save for the olys due to the time gap). Winning consecutively shows good performance over a closer period.  Winning things spread out shows that you're capable of reaching the top level over a longer time period.  

Think about it, now Yuzu still has chance to win 4cc as he's still competing, while javi's career is done w/o GPF title. Yuzu 4cc curse isnt the worst lol.

I'm an old school skating fan where the A-team skaters skipped 4CC (Michelle Kwan has 5 world titles, 2 Olympic medals, not a 4CC anything, and does anyone care?), so if Yuzu doesn't bother competing there again it wouldn't matter at all to me.  Not saying he doesn't want to win it if he can but I think he has his priorities straight considering his other results, and 2x Oly/2x World (or more) Champ will always precede his name when he's announced or mentioned. Just sayin'.

40 minutes ago, Anki said:

Compared to that I don't understand why people place more value on Patrick's 3 consecutive World wins than Yuzu's 4 consecutive GPF wins - I understand World still has  higher legacy prestige than GPF due to its longer history, but in reality winning the GPF is no less harder than World - the pressure is the same for both -  in fact GPF is harder because you have to prove yourself over three events, such that the winner is less likely to be a "just happen to have a good day" type of winner. Hopefully after GPF has a longer history its prestige increases.

Its not only a history thing. Worlds is supposed to be (2nd) most imporant comp becuz most skaters around the world are given a chance to attend and supposed to do their best in a common ground. And they dont skate for themselves but represent their countries. Just imagine the scale, the pressure and responsibility! Like u cant say Oly is not as important as Gpf cuz its a one time event?

Honestly cuz its one time event, the pressure even builds up bigger, u have no chance to recover or to say smt like 'i do better next comp' like gp. 

I'm sure Yuzu consider Worlds over Gpf too, just like any athlete. I rmb he said smt along the line, Nats, Worlds, and Oly are most important events to him. 

31 minutes ago, monchan said:

Its not only a history thing. Worlds is supposed to be (2nd) most imporant comp becuz most skaters around the world are given a chance to attend and supposed to do their best in a common ground. And they dont skate for themselves but represent their countries. Just imagine the scale, the pressure and responsibility! Like u cant say Oly is not as important as Gpf cuz its a one time event?

Honestly cuz its one time event, the pressure even builds up bigger, u have no chance to recover or to say smt like 'i do better next comp' like gp. 

I'm sure Yuzu consider Worlds over Gpf too, just like any athlete. I rmb he said smt along the line, Nats, Worlds, and Oly are most important events to him. 

He won Nationals 4 times so far, and with only Shoma as his rival, I think a few more national Golds will be fairly easy for him to get than Worlds and GPF medals. (Not underestimating Shoma, just stating the facts). 

How I see Yuzu, he doesn't seem to hunger for the 2022 Beijing Olympic Gold as much as he hungered for PC OGM. He never speaks about it openly, and I don't think he has secretly set his mind on it just yet.

Yuzu probably really wants Worlds or GPF or even 4CC Gold though, because they have less pressure to get and also, he can only dedicate a few years instead of another whole olympic cycle. 

33 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

How I see Yuzu, he doesn't seem to hunger for the 2022 Beijing Olympic Gold as much as he hungered for PC OGM. He never speaks about it openly, and I don't think he has secretly set his mind on it just yet.

This is true. I think he kind of set double Olympic medal as his ultimate and only goal for essentially the last four years. I'm not surprised if he felt a bit a drift after achieving it. Like okay.... Now what? Type feeling. So he's got 4A as his goal now. But who knows? He is only 6 months past his historic achievement, he has lots of time to more new goals, which may or may not including a even more historic third Oly gold! 

5 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

This is true. I think he kind of set double Olympic medal as his ultimate and only goal for essentially the last four years. I'm not surprised if he felt a bit a drift after achieving it. Like okay.... Now what? Type feeling. So he's got 4A as his goal now. But who knows? He is only 6 months past his historic achievement, he has lots of time to more new goals, which may or may not including a even more historic third Oly gold! 

Yes he will only be 27 if he goes for 3rd OGM, and if he gets it, no one can touch his legacy, for maybe even a hundred years, until it is broken again. 

While I know that Figure Skating is a sport for young people, the new IJS system will favor Yuzu even at 27. And if he has 4Lz by then, he is not at a disadvantage technically.