General Yuzuru Chat

20 minutes ago, Huiqi said:

This shows that Yuzu appreciates good techniques. And this is probably the reason he does not watch the ladies. Imo.

I mean I'm not goint to stop you on that last statement since aside from very select few ladies most don't have fantastic technique, but I highly doubt that's the reason he doesn't watch ladies so much as time, and personal interest probably being main factors

1 hour ago, Anki said:

He actually doesn't know how to ride a bike, he said so at the JoC or JSF ceremony this year  -  which immediately made headline news  lol the News article said that only around 1% of Japanese can't ride a bike. I guess he is the special 1% after all. 

To me this is weirder than he can't swim, although i am pretty sure he  will learn quickly if he tried - I am guessing he is scared of injuring or twisting his ankle in any way in riding a bike that is probably why he never tried

IIRC he said that he was able to do it before, but he forgot :P

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Guy explicitly said himself that he can't swim and that he can't ride a bike. I elect simply just taking his word for it because he really would have no reason to lie about his inability in those activities (unlike the other times he lied about his alleged skating-related inabilities--now on those, I would trust him as far as I can throw him).

Given his fairly short height and slender physique you should be able to throw him quite a distance.

2 時間前, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

In a way all this makes me admire Yuzu even more. The way he jumps and the way he gets up after every fall is nearly mindblowing to the me that never dared do much for fear of pain. In the same time, he seems more normal for the things he can't/doesn't know how to do. I love that...

Things is, if it weren't for skating, I think he'd have learned how to swim and cycle. Swimming is a more or less compulsory thing in Japan in schools that come equipped with pools (iirc) and cycling is basically walking in Japan. Coupled with the fact that he seemed to have been an outgoing little daredevil (as in, he seemed the type who'd enjoy outdoor activities as much as indoor ones), I find it inconceivable that he wouldn't have learned those if he weren't so wholly invested in skating.

He gives so much of himself to it that I'm guessing he pretty much doesn't have a lot left to give to other endeavors that he isn't more than 50% invested in. Like say, English-learning, lol.

2 時間前, Huiqiさんが言いました:

You can forget how to ride a bike. I am one example. Lol.

Wow really? There was a 10 year gap for me and while I wasn't going to be winning any Tour de Frances soon, I was able to ride the first time I got on a bike again. My body just remembered the balance and calibrated itself accordingly. With absolutely zero feedback from my brain....which doesn't say much, I guess, since that's pretty much what it does all the time. Also, I'm the dead opposite of athletic.

1 時間前, Hydrobladeさんが言いました:

IIRC he said that he was able to do it before, but he forgot :P

I only remembered him going something to the effect of you'd be surprised but I can't ride a bike and the nuance was more on the side of him never having learned how to do it. Which makes sense considering he was competing in competitions from a young age and would have invested all his athletic capacity into it and would have avoided doing things outside of skating that might give him injuries. So if your memory holds true, that would be news to me.

1 時間前, micaelisさんが言いました:

Given his fairly short height and slender physique you should be able to throw him quite a distance.

Nah, it's less to do with him and his lack in size but more me and my weak-ass inability to even pitch a decent ball.

6 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

What does he find important in singles skating in general? More of the artistic skaters, or athletic skaters etc. 

3 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I believe he talked about this in the press conference with the foreign corespondents in Japan after Pyeongchang and he gave the best answer ever, that I believe should be rule #1 taught to all aspiring figure skaters: the technical is there to enhance the artistry. So there should be no such thing as just artistic or just athletic. True figure skating should be both, where the technical comes to enhance the artistry. (I don't remember his exact words and my work laptop hates me currently, but I believe it was something along these lines.)

Recently I have been re-watching & re-reading Yuzu's press cons after PC and found the part that he was talking about the subject.

I've time stamped at 27:56 - Yuzu's part then the interpreter/translator's part.

I believe his words came from his belief as well as his own experiences over the years. He strives to achieve this ideal - artistry based on the foundation of correct technique & skill. Jumps should be incorporated into a program to become an integral part of the expression to complete a story/performance. 

14 hours ago, shanshani said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason he doesn't talk much about ladies is to avoid fueling speculation about his personal life, not because he doesn't pay close attention to the discipline. Figure skating is essentially his career--he has more reason than any of us, not less, to keep up with with other levels of competition and other disciplines.

My thinking as well. He told Kenji Miyamoto that he watches his competitors 'like a hawk'. IMO Yuzu likes to create and innovate with his skating, and you can't do that without watching a lot of all kinds of skating so you have tons of raw material for inspiration. I wouldn't be surprised if he even checks out the freestyle skating videos on YouTube from time to time.

About Yuzu and bike. He probably never had a chance to properly practice riding a bike when he was a kid because of figure skating. He started skating at the age of 4 so he wasn't really interested in anything else at the time. By the time he's started competing in novice, his time after school would have been spent for training everyday. As for swimming, most of kids in Japan are taught to swim at school and also by joining swimming clubs (outside school). I have a friend who has asthma and she had to quit swimming when her asthma got worse. She said the chlorine in the swimming pool aggravated her asthma. So I don't think Yuzu had much swimming lessons outside school and I don't believe he will be taking swimming lessons any time soon either. He will have a better chance with swimming in sea water but if he doesn't like getting sandy feet, there'll be no chance of that either.

So basically he cannot ride a bike and cannot swim because of his love and devotion for figure skating. When you possesses  ability to rotate 4 (and a half?) times while in the air, relatively easier skills like riding a bike or swimming becomes not so interesting...or does he secretly envies people with more ordinary skills just because he hasn't got them? But I really don't think his kuyashii is activated outside figure skating:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

Every time Yuzu's inability to do more common things like riding/swimming on a topic, I just recall mushroom Yuzu's words that I've heard in a documentary.  When he's asked about he doesn't have time to play with friends after school because of figure skating training, he said  "This is fine by me" (俺はこれでいいと思ってる). Being an ordinary kid is something that Yuzu never got to experience long enough I suppose.

3 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Nah, you don't forget how to ride a bike. Just like (I'm assuming) you don't forget how to skate, once you've learned how to balance yourself. You can be very rusty without practice but your body doesn't forget because it's muscle memory. If the picture you're speaking of is the one taken in IRS, it doesn't prove much. It was indoors and I forgot the details but the bike was supposed to be some kind of display unit or whatever. Someone brought it in for some kinda purpose and he was messing around with it and the photographs only proved that: him messing around with it. Guy explicitly said himself that he can't swim and that he can't ride a bike. I elect simply just taking his word for it because he really would have no reason to lie about his inability in those activities (unlike the other times he lied about his alleged skating-related inabilities--now on those, I would trust him as far as I can throw him).

I can't do bike either...still don't know how can a two-wheel thing stand up... 

16 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

When he was Junior, they asked him this question, and he said he liked Mao Asada and Yuna Kim. But once he turned senior, it was like this question became taboo or something. 
He never spoke since then which female skater he gets inspired from.

Which is weird because I hear female skaters all the time about how much they admire Yuzu as a pure skater (Zagitova, Zhenya, Kostornaia: her instagram activity) and so forth. He is a skater's skater. So many professional skaters praise him in interviews. But it's rare you see Yuzu praise other skaters in other disciplines. (He mainly talks about men's field), which I don't blame in the slightest. Just curious why. 

I heard it's because of the Yuna vs. Mao rivalry and the cultural rivalry between Japan and Korea. It's taboo for Yuzu to say that he likes Yuna now even though recently David Wilson revealed this in an interview. 

32 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I heard it's because of the Yuna vs. Mao rivalry and the cultural rivalry between Japan and Korea. It's taboo for Yuzu to say that he likes Yuna now even though recently David Wilson revealed this in an interview. 

I don't really think it's taboo for East Asian athletes to openly compliment each other these days, despite the political tensions (which I know should not be discussed here so I'm not going any deeper into it). That is one thing, sport is another, I think most everyone agrees that keeping things friendly and civilised helps everyone give their best. For example, Yuzu and Boyang speak very highly of each other even though they are from "rival" nations, and I haven't seen anyone have a problem with it. The Yuna-Mao rivarly may have something to do with it (I really don't know so can't really say my opinion), but I don't think their nationalities make it "taboo", the political situation might not be ideal but it's not that bad. Also, sorry in advance if I misunderstood your comment, maybe you didn't mean it like that in the first place.