General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

What does he find important in singles skating in general? More of the artistic skaters, or athletic skaters etc. 

I think he's already answered this but both. He told Kurt browning he was an artistic athlete. And you can tell with who he idolised the most - one athletic and one artistic (Plushenko and Weir).

And he has said many times that he aspires to be someone who is an inspiration as Shizuka was to him (one of the reasons he chose to go to Waseda is because that's where Shizuka went). He has also said multiple times how he studied Mao's 3A and how her being slight but still able to do the 3A has encouraged him to try.

2 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

What does he find important in singles skating in general? More of the artistic skaters, or athletic skaters etc. 

I believe he talked about this in the press conference with the foreign corespondents in Japan after Pyeongchang and he gave the best answer ever, that I believe should be rule #1 taught to all aspiring figure skaters: the technical is there to enhance the artistry. So there should be no such thing as just artistic or just athletic. True figure skating should be both, where the technical comes to enhance the artistry. (I don't remember his exact words and my work laptop hates me currently, but I believe it was something along these lines.)

I was watching a ballet video earlier and the dancer said 'am I an athlete? I think yes, but the athleticism is a means to an end for the artistic image' and to a degree, it reminded me of Yuzuru but his view is less that athleticism is a means to an end so much as the athletics, technical and artistic are all totally interwoven. If you're missing one aspect,  everything else suffers.

though I suppose the same is true in ballet :P

4 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:
16 hours ago, micaelis said:

In many respects Yuzu has the body design that would do well if he were in the Tour de France, with one caveat - bicycle racing is not the sport an asthmatic should take up.  Trying to climb a road in that high-mountain air is not to be recommended.  Otherwise, though, Yuzu, like most world-class cyclists is short and slender and ideal physique-wise.

He'd also have to learn how to ride a bike first

If he doesn't already know how I would say he'd learn very very quickly.  You need a sense of balance to ride a bike and I don't think that is something Yuzu is lacking.  The first requirement for gymnasts, divers and figure skaters is a sense of balance well above the average.  That Yuzu possesses in spades.

22 minutes ago, micaelis said:

If he doesn't already know how I would say he'd learn very very quickly.  You need a sense of balance to ride a bike and I don't think that is something Yuzu is lacking.  The first requirement for gymnasts, divers and figure skaters is a sense of balance well above the average.  That Yuzu possesses in spades.

He actually doesn't know how to ride a bike, he said so at the JoC or JSF ceremony this year  -  which immediately made headline news  lol the News article said that only around 1% of Japanese can't ride a bike. I guess he is the special 1% after all. 

To me this is weirder than he can't swim, although i am pretty sure he  will learn quickly if he tried - I am guessing he is scared of injuring or twisting his ankle in any way in riding a bike that is probably why he never tried

11 minutes ago, Anki said:

He actually doesn't know how to ride a bike, he said so at the JoC or JSF ceremony this year  -  which immediately made headline news  lol the News article said that only around 1% of Japanese can't ride a bike. I guess he is the special 1% after all. 

To me this is weirder than he can't swim, although i am pretty sure he  will learn quickly if he tried - I am guessing he is scared of injuring or twisting his ankle in any way in riding a bike that is probably why he never tried

There is a picture of him riding a bike when he was a kid. I think he just haven't done it in awhile and he think he forgot. 

18 分, Sammieさんが言いました:

There is a picture of him riding a bike when he was a kid. I think he just haven't done it in awhile and he think he forgot. 

Nah, you don't forget how to ride a bike. Just like (I'm assuming) you don't forget how to skate, once you've learned how to balance yourself. You can be very rusty without practice but your body doesn't forget because it's muscle memory. If the picture you're speaking of is the one taken in IRS, it doesn't prove much. It was indoors and I forgot the details but the bike was supposed to be some kind of display unit or whatever. Someone brought it in for some kinda purpose and he was messing around with it and the photographs only proved that: him messing around with it. Guy explicitly said himself that he can't swim and that he can't ride a bike. I elect simply just taking his word for it because he really would have no reason to lie about his inability in those activities (unlike the other times he lied about his alleged skating-related inabilities--now on those, I would trust him as far as I can throw him).

6 minutes ago, Sammie said:

If it's the picture I know, he wasn't really riding. I think he got that as a present and had just gotten on it, but I think even then he said he didn't know how to ride it.

I actually don't either, nor do I know how to swim, so I'm feeling pretty special right now LOL

4 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

That's sad.

I think if a female skater got a compliment from Yuzu himself, it would encourage and motivate them. Being praised by the GOAT himself is very special.

I just wanted to know what sort of ladies skater style he prefers.

Which female skater is he inspired by, and what type of music choices or choreography does he like?

I wanted to know these things, because it is always interesting how female skaters take inspiration from yuzu, like his jumps or his programs. 

So far, Alena Zagitova, Gabby, Zhenya, and so many other female skaters spoke openly how they like Yuzu's jumps, total package etc etc in press conferences.

So sad that Japanese Media hinder that sort of skater praise cycle.  

He' both. He said in the conference after oly 'artistry must be built on foundation of master of techniques'. Also rmb in his bio book, he insisted to land 4lo not becuz no one landed it yet, but becuz he wanted to master an expression of a whole big picture (the whole program). 

So far he expressed he liked Shizuka, mao, yuna, also praised Evgenia for her consistency. But Shizuka is prob the biggest influence on him, his signature wide spread leg ina bauer was tribute to her(just like the Bielmann spin is tribute to Plush). He expressed his gratitude and admiration for her many times. 

7 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

If it's the picture I know, he wasn't really riding. I think he got that as a present and had just gotten on it, but I think even then he said he didn't know how to ride it.

I actually don't either, nor do I know how to swim, so I'm feeling pretty special right now LOL

Okay that make sense to me :68468287: 

I haven’t been on a bike in years and don’t know how to swim  :13877886:

2 分, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

I can do both of those albeit only recreationally and am super out practice to boot. But I can do them. I can't save a drowning person and I can't promise I won't lose control and lurch into oncoming traffic but I won't drown (easily) if tossed into water and I won't fall on my face or my ass (in less than 10 seconds).

Can't skate worth a damn though. Tried it once a few years ago and am not compelled to learn further. But I'm happy enough to just...enjoy it vicariously through the likes of Hanyu. >_<

1 minute ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I can do both of those albeit only recreationally and am super out practice to boot. But I can do them. I can't save a drowning person and I can't promise I won't lose control and lurch into oncoming traffic but I won't drown (easily) if tossed into water and I won't fall on my face or my ass (in less than 10 seconds).

Can't skate worth a damn though. Tried it once a few years ago and am not compelled to learn further. But I'm happy enough to just...enjoy it vicariously through the likes of Hanyu. >_<

I was too afraid of pain as a kid to learn to ride... I tried, but never advanced from 4 wheels lol I like to think I know enough swimming theory not to immediately drown, but I'd much rather not test it. I've also never tried skating, but have promised myself I will, if I ever reach my ideal weight. Haven't been making much progress.

In a way all this makes me admire Yuzu even more. The way he jumps and the way he gets up after every fall is nearly mindblowing to the me that never dared do much for fear of pain. In the same time, he seems more normal for the things he can't/doesn't know how to do. I love that...