General Yuzuru Chat

40 minutes ago, Paskud said:

A small return to the 4cc announcement discussion: how was it in 2014 and 2015? I understand that they did not choose Yuzuru in 2014 because he needed surgery. But what about 2015?:scratch3:

I remember something like JSF usually send 1-3 to worlds and 4-5 to 4CC. Not 100% sure on this though.

Just now, Moria Polonius said:

But Brian Orser didn't know, did he? So what kind if situation it would have been if the Fed knew but Brian didn't? Unless Brian knew about injury but was in the dark about how bad it was and thought it was getting better.

Brian did know, he might not have known how bad it was, but the information Yuzu had problems with his left foot and so didn’t go to Toronto until quite late got around before Boston. But anyway, the information Yuzu was injured was never made public anywhere apart from Japan - so if someone read translated stuff (like TAT), they knew, if they didn’t bother, they didn’t - like BESP commentators. Brian didn’t ever mention the injury anywhere apart from Japanese media, I think. Barely even to them. 

35 minutes ago, sun1985 said:

I remember something like JSF usually send 1-3 to worlds and 4-5 to 4CC. Not 100% sure on this though.

Not always. 

I believe every national champ has a choice and voice on whether they want 4CC or not. Yuzu went when he won nats to 4cc 2013 I believe? In 4cc year 2014, 2015, and 2016 due to various reasons (2014 imminent Olys, 2015 surgery recovery, 2016 we learned he was injured afterwards but also he was busy and didn't go totally into ninja mode after nats doing ice news years special and kouhaku and movie filming and documentary among other things) I believe it was his choice to not go and the fed honored it even if he gave a reason or not. Shoma and Dai and other japanese men did/does 4CC even while Japan's ace or nats no.1

Edit: orz. I realize kinda got my years wrong.

5 minutes ago, sun1985 said:

Yes, I believe this is true since Yuzu was sent to 4CC in 2011 for being number 4 in Japan Nats. But I also imagine it is not a certainty since Dai was also at 4CC in 2011 even though he was number 3 back then. And Yuzu being number 1 in Japan Nats 2012 also still going to 4CC 2013. 

From what I remember reading, it was actually revealed by JSF that he was injured after Nationals and was late in going back to Toronto. However, the narative going into Worlds was that he had healed. I think even Brian said in an interview that Yuzu had been injured, but was ok going into Worlds. And the fact that 4T was the problem was known, so they had decided to replace it with 4S where possible (though I think Yuzu switched back in the end? Or at least spent one of the practices jumping a lot of 4Ts. I don't remember exactly, but reading was, to me, very indicative of how not calm he was then).

Whether Brian knew how injured Yuzu actually was or not, I don't know. I don't think Brian ever said, but I tend to think Yuzu played it down. Boston was a mess on many levels, but I think it was also a very good lesson for all of them. A painful, but good one. Who knows if last season would have gone like that if not for the lessons learned from Boston.

But anyway, back to 4CC 2016, I do think it was known to JSF that Yuzu was injured then, even if not the full extent and his main goal was Worlds, so it made sense to skip.

ETA: I believe, theoretically, all skaters have a choice to refuse, however in Japan, refusing to do an assignment is almost unheard of. So, once assigned, I believe they themselves might feel they need a really good reason to refuse. On the other hand, it also makes little sense to send one's top skater to a competition that might tire them out before a bigger one. So generally, I think 4CC is where the not top skaters go. Exceptions are probably made when the competition isn't too strong, so it's an easy win/podium that can be a boost as far as reputation and maybe even confidence go.

20 時間前, saltyさんが言いました:

all i know is is that i couldn't fckin stand figure skating until i watched him skate and now i know the rulebook by heart.....magnetic isn't a strong enough word for him

Lol. Well the sun *does* have an entire solar system revolving around it so...would solar magnitude gravity work slightly better? Maybe?

16 時間前, ruruzestさんが言いました:
ose who don’t understand Japanese but faithfully watch all of your interviews , and most importantly you do it your way with tremendous efforts, talents, and sacrifices to overcome numerous hardships. Hats off to you Mr. Hanyu.

Aw, talk about humble early wishes...

...well, he certainly achieved what he wished for here. Just shot way, way, waaaaaaay past his initial mark to hit a big bunch of other targets while he was at it since braking isn't, you know, his thing. Classic Hanyu.

3 hours ago, Xen said:

Some of the newer satellites probably missed the a) banners and boards and fan stuff we did back at ACI 2017; b) that our very own @Hydroblade put her l33t programming skills to work and made an interactive map where satellites and others could put Birthday wishes to him (and in the end we sent it to the TCC twitter).

Bit old but re: Yuzu knows about the forum?

Spoiler

I told Tracy about the site, and the golden swans for Team Yuzu had a message with the url :P (It said that all of us in the Planet Hanyu forum were wishing for his happiness and health in a more eh... eloquent way :rofl:) and since the swans flew back safely to Toronto+ the birthday map, i'm 90% sure he knows and that he has looked around here.

Regarding the "his english isn't good enough" thing, i am just speculating but his devices are probably set to japanese, and the forum detects which language you are using. So the interface should appear in japanese for him, it shouldn't be hard for him to look around and i'm pretty sure his english is good enough to read most of our chat :P

I find it unlikely that he comes back though, he surely has better things to do with his time :rofl: (もし、もう一度ここに来たら、どこかに返事してくださいね:peekapooh:)

1 hour ago, Fay said:

Brian did know, he might not have known how bad it was, but the information Yuzu had problems with his left foot and so didn’t go to Toronto until quite late got around before Boston. But anyway, the information Yuzu was injured was never made public anywhere apart from Japan - so if someone read translated stuff (like TAT), they knew, if they didn’t bother, they didn’t - like BESP commentators. Brian didn’t ever mention the injury anywhere apart from Japanese media, I think. Barely even to them. 

I cant dig it up now since Ice Network is no more, but the closest thing we got to news on the injury in English that I can remember was that article by Hersh about the coaching arrangement and Yuzu being in both Toronto and Japan. The story was that he had had an instep injury which had him practicing 4S instead of 4T. 

@Hydroblade when you said this: "Regarding the "his english isn't good enough" thing, i am just speculating but his devices are probably set to japanese, and the forum detects which language you are using. So the interface should appear in japanese for him"...that explained something else for me. I sometimes find that some of my posts get reactions I wasn't expecting, and it's made me wonder what I was doing wrong with my English (I'm a native English speaker). But now I get it - basically, sometimes we're lost in translation.

Anyway, it tickles me to think of Yuzu reading us, but realistically he probably has thousands of more important things to do in every.minute of his day. 

1 hour ago, kiches said:

I cant dig it up now since Ice Network is no more, but the closest thing we got to news on the injury in English that I can remember was that article by Hersh about the coaching arrangement and Yuzu being in both Toronto and Japan. The story was that he had had an instep injury which had him practicing 4S instead of 4T. 

I forget who did it ( maybe TSL?) But somewhere in the depths of YouTube there's an interview with Brian after 2017 World's in which he talks about the lessons learned after Boston and basically implies that the whole team has changed the way they communicate so that problems don't get hidden anymore. He gives an example using Javi and Gabby, but it's not hard to read between the lines and see that he means Yuzu too.

26 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

@Hydroblade when you said this: "Regarding the "his english isn't good enough" thing, i am just speculating but his devices are probably set to japanese, and the forum detects which language you are using. So the interface should appear in japanese for him"...that explained something else for me. I sometimes find that some of my posts get reactions I wasn't expecting, and it's made me wonder what I was doing wrong with my English (I'm a native English speaker). But now I get it - basically, sometimes we're lost in translation.

Anyway, it tickles me to think of Yuzu reading us, but realistically he probably has thousands of more important things to do in every.minute of his day. 

The posts themselves aren't translated, but i think it's the same thing: most of us aren't native English speakers, so if you add to that the cultural differences, sometimes things don't come across as we originally intended. It's one of the downsides of communicating through the internet but i'm sure we all mean well  :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

37 minutes ago, Xen said:

@Hydroblade That is precisely why I'm not worried about ever having to draw the quad ladies in the next 1-4 years. Heheee...

Either that or Yuzu has decided it's clearly a way lure him out of the training cave/stealth mode, and has decided that he will not concede. 

:rofl:we're desperately trying to lure him out and say what kind of Lethal Hanyu we can expect this season

12 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I forget who did it ( maybe TSL?) But somewhere in the depths of YouTube there's an interview with Brian after 2017 World's in which he talks about the lessons learned after Boston and basically implies that the whole team has changed the way they communicate so that problems don't get hidden anymore. He gives an example using Javi and Gabby, but it's not hard to read between the lines and see that he means Yuzu too.

Yeah Brian sort of implied this after Skate Canada 2016 that they had a meeting with everyone in October, but it seemed like a discussion centered around his focus on the quad loop at the time. They said their communication and practice was a lot better after that talk, I think this might be what you’re referring to. 

I’m actually not sure if they had changed anything immediately after Boston but I think it’s clear that after Skate Canada they seemed to have a better understanding of each other which appears to have carried through to last season. I’ve always suspected with the lisfranc injury Yuzu may not have realized how bad it was until much later and he stayed in Japan longer hoping it would get better and he’d heal more while at home. 

2 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Bit old but re: Yuzu knows about the forum?

Reveal hidden contents

I told Tracy about the site, and the golden swans for Team Yuzu had a message with the url :P (It said that all of us in the Planet Hanyu forum were wishing for his happiness and health in a more eh... eloquent way :rofl:) and since the swans flew back safely to Toronto+ the birthday map, i'm 90% sure he knows and that he has looked around here.

Regarding the "his english isn't good enough" thing, i am just speculating but his devices are probably set to japanese, and the forum detects which language you are using. So the interface should appear in japanese for him, it shouldn't be hard for him to look around and i'm pretty sure his english is good enough to read most of our chat :P

I find it unlikely that he comes back though, he surely has better things to do with his time :rofl: (もし、もう一度ここに来たら、どこかに返事してくださいね:peekapooh:)

Wait, Planet Hanyu has a setting which allows the interface to be in Japanese? :bow: