General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Fay said:

I’ve never seen him so upset on top of a podium...

Because I came into skating this time through Yuzu, that was the first time I even saw/heard of Takahashi and now I simply avoid anything about him because when I look at him, little Yuzu's face pops up in my head.... not the other skater's fault but hey, he doesn't need me so I roll with it.

And as for the uglier fans, I just remind myself how beautifully Yuzu has 'replied' to them with the classic saying... "living well is the best revenge."

4 hours ago, Forcefield said:

Well, don't know if it's true or not, but I'm kind of glad if it is. I know people say Zhenya needs him more because of her competition, but I think Yuzu needs Brian as much for many reasons. He hasn't been to Nats for 2 years and Shoma is the reigning champion. Additionally, I take it for granted that Dai will be there. I think this Nats will be loud and uncomfortable. Of course, Yuzu can do without Brian as well, but I think it's added support that Brian (who was there during Yuzu's first win and gave sound advice when his first win was not well received) might be there.

People here were discussing late last spring whether Brian might be spreading himself too thin with all the new skaters (actually just two and we have to remember that he lost one also).  The thing is that Brian now has two very high profile skaters (Yuzu and Zhenya, Zhenya replacing the departed Javi), an up-and-coming skater (Cha) and a skater who seems to have come to TCC to see how to fill out his skating and incorporate perhaps some aerial work (Jason).  He also has a high-profile junior level skater (Gogolev) beginning his international junior competition this season.  This is going to be very much a season where Brian's going to be earning frequent flyer miles.  The thing is that there is more to being a coach than just working with the skaters at TCC and at their international competitions.  There is also politicking involved.  Brian will have to be at everyone of Zhenya's competitions this season in order to reassure the Russians that he is dealing seriously with her.  He can't afford to be seen as not giving her high priority.  With Jason the pressure to be at the boards will be less since it appears he came to TCC less for Brian's direct attention than to be working with Brian's team.  As for Yuzu?  He's been on his own before, though never at the crucial times.  The thing is Yuzu's been with Brian long enough that they've pretty well worked out when they have to be together and when Yuzu can handle things himself.  At nationals this year I think Brian will be there.  Yuzu will be the favorite there (unless he's shocked us and the rest of the world by having a disastrous season) but Shoma will be extra-motivated.  After all he's won nationals the last two years essentially by default.  Yuzu wasn't competing and so I think he will be supercharged to finally be taking Yuzu on for bragging rights in Japan.  It's not going to be a sure thing for Yuzu and Brian knows he'll have to be there to help Yuzu psychologically if things don't turn out right.  Cha's only assignment is Skate Canada and since Zhenya is also there we can say with complete confidence Brian will be there.  That leaves Stephen Gogolev at the junior level.  He is the highest profile of TCC skaters at that level and so Brian will be there whenever he can (if it doesn't conflict schedule-wise with any of his senior skaters).  This weekend will be dicey since Brian has some sort of fund-raiser in Canada but I think he'll be able to be in Bratislava for Stephen's inaugural junior-level international event.  The men's free-skate is Friday and if Brian flies out as soon as possible he can make it back to Canada for his fund-raiser.  All in all this season, though, Brian will be hard-pressed in having to decide where he needs to be and where he wants to be.  Necessity and desire don't necessarily go hand in hand.

The editor Poohs have been diligently working to recover the Daily Spread Eagle's editions right after that legendary free skate (unofficial reports presume that they were misplaced during the Pooh Hunny Riots of 2018) and have unearthed two hunny stained copies:

23 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

pyeongchang-2018-olympics-logo-A44E48654|February 17, 2018

THE DAILY SPREAD EAGLE

%E3%83%95%E3%82%A3%E3%82%AE%E3%83%A5%E3%

King Hanyu wins his second Olympic title

By Hydroblade

With an outstanding performance that moved the whole world, King Hanyu skated to the top of the podium at the Pyeongchang Olympics.

Gliding to the sound of bewitching taiko drums and mystical rhythms, the King overcame the difficulties that appeared on his path to glory during this season, cementing his status as the Greatest Of All Time🐐. Prime Minister Pooh was still unable to attend, although his presence was felt in the most glorious of Pooh rains observed until now that was cast upon the Gangneung Ice Arena, among the cheers of the crowd who had the privilege of supporting the King in his most important battle yet.  

In a public ceremonyu, the King received his second Olympic Gold Medal, a feat that was seen for the first time 66 years ago.

This event had repercussions on our planet, in the form of a joyous Mt. Irene eruption which contained glittering Gold dust, a faint and sweet chocolate scent, and an unknown teal colored powder that vanished the whole paprika population of the planet. The altars set up on the planet's various rinks were reported to shine and the Pooh Special Forces had to be called, as the minion Poohs staying in the King's palaces began to riot and threatened the planet's hunny supply.

We extend our congratulations to the King, hoping for his health and looking forward to his feathery form at the Exhibition Gala.

4 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Sunday April 15, 2018

THE DAILY SPREAD EAGLE

A total success: Continues~with wings~, the King's special Celebration Party.

By Hydrobladelarge.jpg

The three-day long special party hosted by King Hanyu in Tokyo, Japan, was a complete success.
With important figures that have inspired our King's prosperous reign, eager crowds witnessed his return to the ice.
According to our previous information, the King wasn't going to be able to skate during the celebrations, due to the injury he sustained last year. However, he presented a no-jump version of past programs complete with the original costumes, which evoked a sense of nostalgia and pride among the crowds.
Prime Minister Pooh, who was watching from the sides, spoke for the first time in his newly restored tissue box cover version. "It has been amazing to watch the Yuzu recreate such important moments such as his first senior program, Romeo and Juliet 1 and of course, Parisienne Walkways. I hope that everyone feels that same happiness of looking at how far he's come since he was a noodly little prince."

The King invited kids to ask him questions on stage, showing us his kind big brother side, as well as a brief talk show with his idols. He also demonstrated some of his signatures moves, with the help of Takahito Mura.

"Next time we see each other, I will be jumping" Declared King Hanyu on the last day with a mischievous smile, making everyone hope that that day will come very soon.

You can read past editions here

15 hours ago, Xen said:

Yuzu doing riverdance is something I didn't know I need to see, but thanks for entering that thought into my brain now.

But the exogenesis music video of his practice however, is making me think Yuzu+muse=interesting......

Yuzu trying to properly Riverdance would be the source of much kuyashi. I think his feet are fast enough but the rhythms would be very different from what he's used to.

34 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yuzu trying to properly Riverdance would be the source of much kuyashi. I think his feet are fast enough but the rhythms would be very different from what he's used to.

Oh dear...

Somewhere in Canada, in a house in Toronto, a japanese boy sneezed. Someone, somewhere was talking about him. He took a piece of tissue from the Pooh box, and thought about it. It wasn't a normal sneeze-usually the practice induced sneezes were more quiet. It was also not a cold induced sneeze-the weather was not the type to permit that these days. So that means....

He opened his laptop and went online, and noticed that someone else in Canada had posted that they thought he would have trouble keeping up with Riverdance rhythms. Kuyashii, who him? He grumped a bit, took out a notebook and wrote a quick note down-tomorrow he and Jeff and Shae needed to talk. That canadian thought huh, without recalling that one of the more iconic riverdance programs was done by one of his choreographers.

11 minutes ago, Xen said:

Oh dear...

Somewhere in Canada, in a house in Toronto, a japanese boy sneezed. Someone, somewhere was talking about him. He took a piece of tissue from the Pooh box, and thought about it. It wasn't a normal sneeze-usually the practice induced sneezes were more quiet. It was also not a cold induced sneeze-the weather was not the type to permit that these days. So that means....

He opened his laptop and went online, and noticed that someone else in Canada had posted that they thought he would have trouble keeping up with Riverdance rhythms. Kuyashii, who him? He grumped a bit, took out a notebook and wrote a quick note down-tomorrow he and Jeff and Shae needed to talk. That canadian thought huh, without recalling that one of the more iconic riverdance programs was done by one of his choreographers.

Lol, but I just can't imagine Yuzu being associated with Celtic or Irish themed music.. Or maybe it's because he never tried it before?

5 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Lol, but I just can't imagine Yuzu being associated with Celtic or Irish themed music.. Or maybe it's because he never tried it before?

Oh I think he can pull it off. I mean, he has Shae-Lynn for reference, and now Jason is a rinkmate. Plenty plenty of references.

Never say never, else he'll take it up as a personal challenge, and then force us to eat our words.

Edit: I don't think he could do proper riverdance steps as part of a stsq, but maybe as a chsq? He was doing the toe-taps for Yagudin's "winter" at PC gala practice, and I think he has fast enough feet for it. Also, his SS style is very agility based-he can do the turns fast enough to hit them to the music. There is also plenty of music to choose from, but what about a "folk traditional music" medley? What if we start with the pan-pipes, fiddles and flutes of irish folk music, and end up with the taiko drumming and shakuhachi of japan? o_O

Just now, Xen said:

Oh I think he can pull it off. I mean, he has Shae-Lynn for reference, and now Jason is a rinkmate. Plenty plenty of references.

Never say never, else he'll take it up as a personal challenge, and then force us to eat our words.

Yes true. I would love it if he tried Hip Hop, Jazz, Tango and a variety of new music genres this season. Or just a warhorse like La La Land. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Now I really want Yuzuru to skate to this classic bop

4 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

To be fair, considering how expensive skating is and how for most of them the ideal moment to try and cash in from their victories is right after, this also plays a huge part in the decision to move on. It's understandable, as money is scarce and it's a rare few who have managed to reach this during their competitive career. I wish it was more like say tennis, or even swimming but unfortunately it is not. 

We were really, really lucky that Yuzuru has the immense drive but also that he is so popular during his career that this is a non-issue.

Oh, absolutely. Yuzu also had the advantage that skating is so popular in Japan that he can make good money still being a competitive skater. I do think it's tough for the sport though, when the Olympics attracts new eyes to the sport and new interest in the skaters and then inevitably a lot of the skater the viewers get interested in stop competing. IMO part of why Yuzu is so popular is because he attracted a lot of new fans from Sochi and kept them watching the sport afterwards. He's been great for skating, but I wish we had more stars like him who could grow the audience.