General Yuzuru Chat

1 час назад, Sombreuil сказал:

I wondered about Haru  yo  koi - apart from Requiem I think in the past he has kept Exhibition skates to Japanese music for galas etc in Japan and used others outside, so it’s possible he’ll use something else in Helsinki and Moscow.

But HYK is a piano peace so can be used internationally like Requiem, my main reason for it to be an EX is the too exquisite costume for it to be just a show number (though it still needs recorded piano version)

3 hours ago, airi said:

I think I'm the only one who doesn't mind waiting for ACI for programs reveal :smiley-happy005: I even think it will be cool if the first time we hear the music and see the actual program is ACI practice :D

For Yuzuru legend status, I'd say it's defnitely NHK 2015. I remember watching it on TV live and I really couldn't believe what I see (I mean Seimei, I couldn't watch the SP live). For me, that Seimei at NHK changed the figure skating really, and certainly my view on it. GPF later, too, but I remember that moment after NHK Seimei like it was yesterday.

NHK was definitely the big moment, but there were seedsof it before that allowed NHK to just sort of solidify his status. First it was that he was on Olympic Champion who was still competing and still so young. Olympic Champions are kind of legends to start with and not a lot of them keep going after winning. Then it was his base value, he had a really high base value, hadn't hit his ceiling potential (and still hasn't lbh) and hadn't skated totally clean, so I think there was an awareness that something like NHK could happen if he went clean. And finally he was out there landing quad loops in shows and galas. I think all of that kind of put the expectation out there that he could become a GOAT, but it took NHK for him to solidify his reputation.

1 hour ago, Forcefield said:

Well, don't know if it's true or not, but I'm kind of glad if it is. I know people say Zhenya needs him more because of her competition, but I think Yuzu needs Brian as much for many reasons. He hasn't been to Nats for 2 years and Shoma is the reigning champion. Additionally, I take it for granted that Dai will be there. I think this Nats will be loud and uncomfortable. Of course, Yuzu can do without Brian as well, but I think it's added support that Brian (who was there during Yuzu's first win and gave sound advice when his first win was not well received) might be there.

Agree with all of this, and in addition, Worlds in in Japan this season.  I feel like that's even more added attention in terms of buzz.  Med's spot on the team isn't in jeopardy this year even if she finishes behind eteri juniors (not that yuzu's is either). 

22 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

I definitely want to know the music before ACI! How can we discuss costumes if we don't know the music! And what's an off season without costume discussions!!! We are losing steps here! :68468287::68468287::68468287:

And it's one of reasons I want it, no time to be overthink anything! Just take it like it is :D But ok that just me, I know :D 

20 minutes ago, anirien said:

NHK was definitely the big moment, but there were seed of it before that allowed NHK to just sort of solidify his status. First it was that he was on Olympic Champion who was still competing and still so young. Olympic Champions are kind of legends to start with and not a lot of them keep going after winning. Then it was his base value, he had a really high base value, hadn't hit his ceiling potential (and still hasn't lbh) and hadn't skated totally clean, so I think there was an awareness that something like NHK could happen if he went clean. And finally he was out there landing quad loops in shows and galas. I think all of that kind of put the expectation out there that he could become a GOAT, but it took NHK for him to solidify his reputation.

Absolutely, from perspective I think a lot more people can see it that in that 2013/14 season or before, well, I was of course amazed by young Yuzuru by then, even already in 2011 when was the only time I actually got to see him skating in person, not to mention Worlds 2012. Olympic champions are forever in history books, but I don't think Olympic gold automatically makes someone a legend (anyone remember Lysacek or Sotnikova?). Or maybe my definition of a legend is a bit different :D . After Yuzu won in Sochi I didn't have that feeling yet, even though it was obvious that he will do a lot more amazing things. But. The moment for me was NHK. I envy those who had that moment sooner, really :laughing:

48 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Well, don't know if it's true or not, but I'm kind of glad if it is. I know people say Zhenya needs him more because of her competition, but I think Yuzu needs Brian as much for many reasons. He hasn't been to Nats for 2 years and Shoma is the reigning champion. Additionally, I take it for granted that Dai will be there. I think this Nats will be loud and uncomfortable. Of course, Yuzu can do without Brian as well, but I think it's added support that Brian (who was there during Yuzu's first win and gave sound advice when his first win was not well received) might be there.

I actually think Yuzu might need Brian more. On top of the arguments already given, I think not having Brian around upsets Yuzu's rhythm and his routine and I think it showed to some extent both times Brian wasn't with him (WTT '17 and NHK '17). On top of that, I think generally, Brian knows how to read Yuzu and how to deal with him if he's not in an ideal shape and has experience in doing so, whereas I'm not sure other coaches do. Even if they've been around and they've seen how Brian does it, that's not the same thing. (There was also an interview with Brian on icenetwork in 2016 in which he was talking about how Yuzu was not used to Brian being away from TCC so much in the lead up to the season and wasn't comfortable with it (seems it's either disappeared or subscription only now, so can't link to it, but I saved it). Of course, things might have changed in 2 years, but still, it hints at Yuzu needing Brian around, even if just for his own mental calm. Not necessarily Brian doing anything, but just him being around helping Yuzu feel like everything is ok and normal.)

It would be interesting, though, to see if all the time spent with Ghislain in the lead up to the Olympics has changed that.

With Evgenia, I don't think that deep relationship has had time to form yet, so she can probably do just as well with other coaches, like Tracy. I think it'd be nice if David was there, too, especially since he is, like he himself said, kind of like Switzerland lol Neutral in the "war" between Eteri's camp and TCC.

2 hours ago, Forcefield said:

who was there during Yuzu's first win and gave sound advice when his first win was not well received) might be there.

May i ask why and how it was not well received? I don’t know much about that time

36 minutes ago, Bilge said:

May i ask why and how it was not well received? I don’t know much about that time

Daisuke Takahashi skated a program of his life that day and Yuzuru lost free program to him (in PCS really, the gap was huge between them these days), but won because of big point difference from SP. A lot of people thought he didn't deserve the win. Daisuke was definitely still considered Japan's no. 1 and his fans couldn'r really swallow it :shrug:

*bangs gavel*

*clears throat*

Ladies and gents, tomorrow marks the start of the JGP season!! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: and essentially the real start of the 2018/19 season!

Please do join us because it is going to be just cracking! Will Anna S land the first ever 4Lz for the ladies, or will Trusova have a shot? Will Young You go for the 3A? How is Gogolev going to cope with his international debut? Is Grassl thinking of a 4Lz-3Lo in an official layout? So many amazing things to see. So yes, come come!

2 hours ago, airi said:

And it's one of reasons I want it, no time to be overthink anything! Just take it like it is :D But ok that just me, I know :D 

Absolutely, from perspective I think a lot more people can see it that in that 2013/14 season or before, well, I was of course amazed by young Yuzuru by then, even already in 2011 when was the only time I actually got to see him skating in person, not to mention Worlds 2012. Olympic champions are forever in history books, but I don't think Olympic gold automatically makes someone a legend (anyone remember Lysacek or Sotnikova?). Or maybe my definition of a legend is a bit different :D . After Yuzu won in Sochi I didn't have that feeling yet, even though it was obvious that he will do a lot more amazing things. But. The moment for me was NHK. I envy those who had that moment sooner, really :laughing:

It's true, Lysacek and Sotnikova didn't leave much of an impression on the sport.  Sotnikova may have more in Russia but not to the extent or affect someone like Evgenia winning would have had. The rare thing is really Olympic champions who stay in the sport after winning and continue to improve as athletes. Most reach their peak for the Olympics and retire or aren't able to maintain it.  The most memorable ones are usually those who had notable careers in addition to the Olympic Gold, which can't really be said for Sotnikova. If Yuzu had immediately retired he might have been similarly forgotten, but he stayed in the sport and cemented his legacy.

11 minutes ago, anirien said:

The rare thing is really Olympic champions who stay in the sport after winning and continue to improve as athletes. Most reach their peak for the Olympics and retire or aren't able to maintain it.  

To be fair, considering how expensive skating is and how for most of them the ideal moment to try and cash in from their victories is right after, this also plays a huge part in the decision to move on. It's understandable, as money is scarce and it's a rare few who have managed to reach this during their competitive career. I wish it was more like say tennis, or even swimming but unfortunately it is not. 

We were really, really lucky that Yuzuru has the immense drive but also that he is so popular during his career that this is a non-issue.