General Yuzuru Chat

20 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I always knew H&L Helsinki was one for the ages. Now it's official. :joy:

A random thought occurred to me this morning...what if, when he posted that photo of the beer can, Brian was trying to give us a hint for next season? Like maybe he's saying " Don't take your eyes off Yuzu, surprises are in store? "

Like, maybe, it'll be a Riverdancing Yuzu in the SP...😝 Followed by. Heavy Metal Yuzu in the FS...🤣

Yuzu doing riverdance is something I didn't know I need to see, but thanks for entering that thought into my brain now.

But the exogenesis music video of his practice however, is making me think Yuzu+muse=interesting......

1 hour ago, turquoiseblue said:

Yuzu part:

Hanyu’s incredible drive

Wilson has the highest praise for the two-time Olympic champion and told Ice Time a fantastic story about the Sendai native’s desire to be the very best.

“He is a samurai warrior,” Wilson says of the superstar. “He’s like a mythical ninja warrior.

“For the Olympic year in Sochi, when it came down to musical choice, I had worked with him the year before and he had his heart set on ‘Romeo and Juliet.’ He sent me the most incredible email, and it was just this absolute declaration of how badly he wanted to win the Olympics.

“I had never encountered such pure, intense . . . It was beyond desire. Absolutely beyond. You could not put a higher imperative on it.

“He wrote, ‘I don’t want to wait until the next Olympics to be the Olympic champion, I want to be the Olympic champion now. And I’m willing to do anything to make that happen, so please, please help me.’

“It was like an imploration, and I thought ‘Oh, my lord.’ “

Wilson was effusive in his description of Hanyu and how he can fuse together his athleticism and artistry.

“I haven’t worked with him since then (2013-14) in terms of his competitive stuff, but I have been watching him go,” Wilson stated. “I have done exhibition pieces for him which I absolutely love. I get the best of both worlds.

“The thing with Yuzuru is, he is such a competitive animal and such a tiger. So when I get to do a show with him, I love it. As much as he is an amazing competitor and an athlete, he is also an amazing artist. He has charisma for 10 people.

“He can make the most pregnant pause nothing moment be so memorable, because he is feeling it. Then he can move his body like a cat. There is nothing he can’t do.”

Wilson discussed Hanyu’s musicality and dedication to perfection.

“He has the ear . . . we did this piece (“Haru yo koi”) for ‘Fantasy on Ice.’ I flew in one day early,” Wilson commented. “We choreographed it in 4½ hours and I saw him for 1½ hours the next day for follow-up. Then I was into group rehearsals and that was it.

“He loved the song. It was a heartfelt kind of experience for him. He will spend hours in his hotel room going over each nuance of the music and each movement in the mirror with a fine-tooth comb.”

Wilson confessed that even he was amazed about how quickly Hanyu was able to be presented with the program and then execute it flawlessly.

“I watched him perform it three times and I was just blown away. We choreographed it on Monday and he was performing it on Friday. I was sitting often watching the show beside (Evgeni) Plushenko’s wife, and she just looked up in the air and was like, it’s from somewhere else.”

In all the years they have worked together, Wilson claimed he has never seen Hanyu lose his temper with another person.

“I’ve seen him get mad at himself, but I’ve never seen him get mad at somebody else,” Wilson stated. “I have seen him get obsessed (with his skating).”

As with Yuna, Wilson says Hanyu has been generous with his gratitude.

“He has said some really heartfelt, sweet things to me of appreciation,” Wilson said. “He’s one of a kind, that’s for sure.”

A question I've always wanted answered by several people - Brian Orser, Javier Fernandez, Tracy Wilson, the various skating commentators and journalists - when did you realize that in watching Yuzuru Hanyu you were watching a legend in the making.  I'm sure before 2013/14 few, if any, were thinking that.  They were viewing him as just an extremely talented skater.  By the end of 2015, however, I'm certain that there were few who were not thinking he's a legend, one for the ages, perhaps GOAT.  I'd really like to know how and when they moved intellectually from "he's a brilliant skater" to "he's from another planet".

Hey there, not-so-active-writer-here (if at all), but I need to get a thought out of my head :14066882:

Am I the only one who read that part    “He has the ear . . . we did this piece (“Haru yo koi”) for ‘Fantasy on Ice.’"    in David Wilsons interview with lots of sadness? Or am I too dramatic, it sounds to me, as if HYK won't be the EX for this season. Just für FaOI. I was so looking forward to it, since I got tickets for Helsinki and all :tumblr_inline_mzx91uuLRI1r8msi5:

And to be even more pessimistic, I'm totally wrong with my stupid thoughts, that we're not hearing any information regarding media day because Yuzu is injured and right now not able to present something, right?

I don't feel like off season madness is coming to me, more like off season depression, nnnrgh :59227c768286a__s:

56 minutes ago, Winnie_20 said:

Well, he already won the JGP and Junior Worlds in 2009/2010 when he was just 15. I am pretty sure at that point a lot of people were sitting up paying close attention. :-)

I agree people were starting to take notice when he won everything in sight in the 2009/10 season at the junior level.  By and large they were viewing him as a highly-talented skater even that far back.  Even after his breakout season (2013/14), where he won his first (of four straight) GPF, his first Olympic gold and his first World Championship, where it was clear he was the dominant men's skater at that point, I don't think they were thinking of him as one for the ages.  That all changed after the 2015 NHK and GPF, when he took absolute control of the record book (a control he still has).  If you listened to the various commentators through that period you could observe how their views of him were evolving.  It was after those last two international competitions of 2015 that the commentariat began to think of him in stellar terms.  At this point there is a general consensus that Yuzu is a living legend.  The 2010s will be seen as the age of Hanyu (just as many think of the 2000s (2000-2009) as the age of Plushenko).  Whether he is the Greatest of All Time is still a question with many.  If he should remain dominant over these next few seasons and then win a third gold in Beijing, then I think there will be near unanimity in placing him as the GOAT.

I will add that Yuzu possesses a depth of character, a nobility, and most of all humility that mark him as a very special athlete, a young man who is not only a great athlete but a great human being.  This, if nothing else, sets him apart from all those competing around him and, I think, all those who preceded him (with the exception, perhaps, of Wayne Gretzky).

10 minutes ago, Niji said:

And to be even more pessimistic, I'm totally wrong with my stupid thoughts, that we're not hearing any information regarding media day because Yuzu is injured and right now not able to present something, right?

Nah, maybe he just doesn't want to come out of his cave, and he's concentrating the kuyashii from not being to compete in all his planned competitions last season :P

I hope you are hungry for pancakes!

21 minutes ago, Niji said:

Hey there, not-so-active-writer-here (if at all), but I need to get a thought out of my head :14066882:

Am I the only one who read that part    “He has the ear . . . we did this piece (“Haru yo koi”) for ‘Fantasy on Ice.’"    in David Wilsons interview with lots of sadness? Or am I too dramatic, it sounds to me, as if HYK won't be the EX for this season. Just für FaOI. I was so looking forward to it, since I got tickets for Helsinki and all :tumblr_inline_mzx91uuLRI1r8msi5:

I don't feel like off season madness is coming to me, more like off season depression, nnnrgh :59227c768286a__s:

I wondered about Haru  yo  koi - apart from Requiem I think in the past he has kept Exhibition skates to Japanese music for galas etc in Japan and used others outside, so it’s possible he’ll use something else in Helsinki and Moscow.

I’m impatient too, but it’s not unusual for him to wait til September - it isn’t necessarily anything sinister and the rehab by ice show seemed to go well.  Just have to suppress the inner two year old who ‘wants it now’.

13 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I wondered about Haru  yo  koi - apart from Requiem I think in the past he has kept Exhibition skates to Japanese music for galas etc in Japan and used others outside, so it’s possible he’ll use something else in Helsinki and Moscow.

I’m impatient too, but it’s not unusual for him to wait til September - it isn’t necessarily anything sinister and the rehab by ice show seemed to go well.  Just have to suppress the inner two year old who ‘wants it now’.

First thing came to my mind 

54 minutes ago, Sammie said:

Brian will go with Yuzu for Nats. I was wondering where Brian going to go. 

Well, don't know if it's true or not, but I'm kind of glad if it is. I know people say Zhenya needs him more because of her competition, but I think Yuzu needs Brian as much for many reasons. He hasn't been to Nats for 2 years and Shoma is the reigning champion. Additionally, I take it for granted that Dai will be there. I think this Nats will be loud and uncomfortable. Of course, Yuzu can do without Brian as well, but I think it's added support that Brian (who was there during Yuzu's first win and gave sound advice when his first win was not well received) might be there.

48 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Nah, maybe he just doesn't want to come out of his cave, and he's concentrating the kuyashii from not being to compete in all his planned competitions last season :P

I hope you are hungry for pancakes!

Yes, this is making me crave pancakes at the moment!

Perhaps those of us who are going to ACI can organize a pancake breakfast meet-up? :winky:

I think I'm the only one who doesn't mind waiting for ACI for programs reveal :smiley-happy005: I even think it will be cool if the first time we hear the music and see the actual program is ACI practice :D

For Yuzuru legend status, I'd say it's defnitely NHK 2015. I remember watching it on TV live and I really couldn't believe what I see (I mean Seimei, I couldn't watch the SP live). For me, that Seimei at NHK changed the figure skating really, and certainly my view on it. GPF later, too, but I remember that moment after NHK Seimei like it was yesterday.