General Yuzuru Chat

34 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

Maybe he's pushing media day back as far as possible so he can perfect whatever quad/s he's adding on top of 4S and 4T for this season? Does he usually do his harder quads (4Lz, 4Lo) on media day? Could it be that Nessie is behind all of this?

It's getting to the point that we might not have a media day.  We're well into August and nary a peep.  I'm beginning to think we're back before PC when all the world was awaiting news of Yuzu's recovery and what to expect in Korea.  The blackout was total until the first official practice and even then Yuzu did minimal aerial work.  The intent was to keep everybody guessing as to how far his recovery had progressed.  As we would later learn when it was revealed he was skating on pain-killers the healing had not progressed a great deal, it certainly had not progressed to the point where he felt it safe to use all his different quads.  Yuzu's strategy there was to keep his opponents guessing until he had actually skated his programs and then, of course, it was too late for his opponents to make the necessary adjustments to match him.  We're now in the same situation, wondering how far his healing has progressed. 

I'm thinking that we might just have an announcement of the music being used and perhaps some photos of him in whatever costumes have been created.  Minimal?  Very.  Keeps them guessing?  Very.  I wouldn't even be surprised if he deliberately dumbs down his program at ACI where the opposition might not be that formidable.  After all he won the Olympics with just two quads.  He might do the same there, leaving everyone wondering just how many quads he has in his armory.  Remember, he has quite a bit of time between ACI and the first of his GP events.  He can use that time to really bring his program together, continue working on whatever healing still remains, and contemplating the havoc all the questions he's leaving unanswered is doing to his opposition.  He might even use that time to perfect the 4A he's now capable of doing (hope! hope!), relishing the surprise when it's revealed in the layout of his program or even then only revealing it by doing a 4A rather then a 3A in the performance itself.  I'm not sure how much of that strategy is legal but if it is he's quite capable of doing it.  I really think he's discovered the value of keeping his opponents guessing right down to the last minutes of the competition itself and if his fans also have to keep guessing, well, we're all just collateral damage.  It makes his triumph all the sweeter for us.

58 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

Maybe he's pushing media day back as far as possible so he can perfect whatever quad/s he's adding on top of 4S and 4T for this season? Does he usually do his harder quads (4Lz, 4Lo) on media day? Could it be that Nessie is behind all of this?

Last year he did at least one runthrough of Seimei with all the jumps, I think (he skipped some spins and choreo). Well, the jumps as he announced them then. We later found out he did 4Lz-3T as well, but media kept quiet about it. Would they keep quiet if they saw 4A? I like to think so, but they might need some time to be able to act like they didn't see it lol. But realistically, I doubt we'll see it this early.

One thing that would make no announcement till ACI good is we would have no chance to have meltdowns over costumes, choreo, layout after hearing the song titles, as we'd be dealt almost the full package from the beginning. But I doubt he'll do that. I think he'll announce them eventually.

16 minutes ago, micaelis said:

It's getting to the point that we might not have a media day.  We're well into August and nary a peep.  I'm beginning to think we're back before PC when all the world was awaiting news of Yuzu's recovery and what to expect in Korea.  The blackout was total until the first official practice and even then Yuzu did minimal aerial work.  The intent was to keep everybody guessing as to how far his recovery had progressed.  As we would later learn when it was revealed he was skating on pain-killers the healing had not progressed a great deal, it certainly had not progressed to the point where he felt it safe to use all his different quads.  Yuzu's strategy there was to keep his opponents guessing until he had actually skated his programs and then, of course, it was too late for his opponents to make the necessary adjustments to match him.  We're now in the same situation, wondering how far his healing has progressed. 

I'm thinking that we might just have an announcement of the music being used and perhaps some photos of him in whatever costumes have been created.  Minimal?  Very.  Keeps them guessing?  Very.  I wouldn't even be surprised if he deliberately dumbs down his program at ACI where the opposition might not be that formidable.  After all he won the Olympics with just two quads.  He might do the same there, leaving everyone wondering just how many quads he has in his armory.  Remember, he has quite a bit of time between ACI and the first of his GP events.  He can use that time to really bring his program together, continue working on whatever healing still remains, and contemplating the havoc all the questions he's leaving unanswered is doing to his opposition.  He might even use that time to perfect the 4A he's now capable of doing (hope! hope!), relishing the surprise when it's revealed in the layout of his program or even then only revealing it by doing a 4A rather then a 3A in the performance itself.  I'm not sure how much of that strategy is legal but if it is he's quite capable of doing it.  I really think he's discovered the value of keeping his opponents guessing right down to the last minutes of the competition itself and if his fans also have to keep guessing, well, we're all just collateral damage.  It makes his triumph all the sweeter for us.

5 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Last year he did at least one runthrough of Seimei with all the jumps, I think (he skipped some spins and choreo). Well, the jumps as he announced them then. We later found out he did 4Lz-3T as well, but media kept quiet about it. Would they keep quiet if they saw 4A? I like to think so, but they might need some time to be able to act like they didn't see it lol. But realistically, I doubt we'll see it this early.

One thing that would make no announcement till ACI good is we would have no chance to have meltdowns over costumes, choreo, layout after hearing the song titles, as we'd be dealt almost the full package from the beginning. But I doubt he'll do that. I think he'll announce them eventually.

Interesting! I think we'll definitely get some kind of program reveal- maybe closer to ACI. Sounds like Yuzu keeps at least some part of his layout and jump repertoire under wraps during media day. The fact that he's pushing his program reveal back might be because he didn't have enough time to polish his programs, but I still feel like it has something to do with his jumps...And if there really is a 4A lurking, we likely won't know until he actually starts competing.

I don't know if I could mentally process new songs, costumes and programs all in one go during competition- sounds super overwhelming :14066882:

40 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Would they keep quiet if they saw 4A? I like to think so, but they might need some time to be able to act like they didn't see it lol. But realistically, I doubt we'll see it this early.

They would be quiet because they would sign an NDA first. It's standard practice if you really want something kept quiet.

One thing that would make no announcement till ACI good is we would have no chance to have meltdowns over costumes, choreo, layout after hearing the song titles, as we'd be dealt almost the full package from the beginning

I don't think it's a bad thing to have fun with the early disclosures plus those who will have negative meltdowns will have them whenever that happens. Otherwise it's just a fun thing to do until the season starts and it helps pass the time.

The delay could be a simple scheduling issue. He probably wants his coaches there (they are in China) and they also need permission from the other skaters since there will be heavy media presence for a day or two. Maybe they just need to find the best time for it :shrug:

Or it could be an evil plan to troll the fans and keep us guessing and waiting  :biggrin:

55 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

They would be quiet because they would sign an NDA first. It's standard practice if you really want something kept quiet.

I don't think it's a bad thing to have fun with the early disclosures plus those who will have negative meltdowns will have them whenever that happens. Otherwise it's just a fun thing to do until the season starts and it helps pass the time.

Oh, I meant it jokingly lol I know it's fun and real meltdowns are rare. And we'll wonder and discuss anyway, even if he doesn't give us anything lol

Realistically I expect media day to be early next week (almost no way they're going to release it on a Friday afternoon or over the weekend from a media/business perspective - Monday/Tuesday in time for morning news might be my guess) or it might be delayed further into the month bc of rehab/Yuzu being at ice shows so not having time to refine his programs enough to his standards. 

They've never announced media day in advance I think? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Last year I think it just dropped on the 8th (Tuesday incidentally). So...patience, would be my advice : P

36 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Realistically I expect media day to be early next week (almost no way they're going to release it on a Friday afternoon or over the weekend from a media/business perspective - Monday/Tuesday in time for morning news might be my guess) or it might be delayed further into the month bc of rehab/Yuzu being at ice shows so not having time to refine his programs enough to his standards. 

They've never announced media day in advance I think? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Last year I think it just dropped on the 8th (Tuesday incidentally). So...patience, would be my advice : P

Well I was thinking maybe Aug 29th - Sept 6th, some time between those dates are the ones I'm eyeing for some reason. 

Granted, this is hypothetical, if I were Yuzu I'd probably rest and do more off-ice conditioning first after arriving in Toronto, and not go jump happy first. Ankle probably needs a bit of time to recover, since the amount of skating during the ice shows was a lot. So real training probably only picked up around late July (was that when the medical report about his healing progress being as expected came out?), which means getting back his quads and crazy transitions probably will happen after Mid-Aug. And I somewhat suspect he wouldn't open media day without his 4Loop being back. 

3 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

What's an NDA? Also, even if the media can't leak the info, couldn't someone with tickets just like film/post about it? 

21 minutes ago, chiachium said:

What's an NDA? Also, even if the media can't leak the info, couldn't someone with tickets just like film/post about it? 

NDA means non-disclosure agreement, so they can't disclose any of the information they learn unless they want to get sued

and there's no one to buy tickets, this is not a competition or show, only certain media representatives are invited