General Yuzuru Chat

38 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

I didn't mean to start any mean-spirited speculation, sorry if I came across as too negative :tumblr_inline_n2pje3s3EO1qdlkyg: It just reminded me of my personal experience because I've used the allergy thing as an excuse to not drink or eat certain things, I wouldn't even really categorise it as a "lie" but more like a politeness thing (especially in Japan where things tend to be so high-context). I also haven't been following FS for that long so I'm (thankfully) not that aware of things haters have said, but I'll try to refrain any health-related speculation now that I know. Not wanting to start any drama :13877886:

I'm sure you didn't mean anything bad about it. Like I said, I believe it doesn't even really matter much, anyway. But it can open the door to much worse speculation, so IMO, it's best to just take his word for it.

I'm also ready to admit Yuzu does bend the truth or hide things at times, but it's always done as part of his strategy and in direct connection to skating. He's also never 'lied' (I wouldn't call them outright lies myself, but that's a matter of interpretation) about having health issues, it was always the other way around, claiming to be healthy when he wasn't. So, to me, it'd be completely out of character for him to claim allergies if he doesn't have it.

50 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

If they used ethanol as disinfectant, then it makes sense if he couldn't drink anything containing ethanol...tho maybe it would depend on the alcholic content of the drink (for example he might tolerate a sip of beer but not vodka) and how fast is the absorption and so on. Or, if there were additives in the disinfectant (e.g. common denaturated alchool contains various additives) one could be allergic to any of those,  but not ethanol itself...Just like some people might be allergic to sake but not beer if their body is actually reacting not to alchool but to rice. :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

But I suppose that, being in a hospital, they checked properly...

If Yuzuru is really sensitive to ethanol, it could be that he lacks some specific enzymes and then it doesn't matter what is the source, he just wouldn't be able to break down ethanol as other people do, or not as fast. We need certain enzymes to metabolize substances, people who produce less of those enzymes/can't produce them(*) can have what looks like an 'allergic reaction'. Apparently, lack of enzyme needed to break down ethanol is more common in people from Asian descent that in other populations (this discussion reminds me of when we talked about the genetics of odourless sweat LOL)

*because of genetics or because of gene expression (that can be influenced by things like diet, stress or e.g. being on meds)...many 'allergic' people are merely unable to activate certain genes as efficiently as needed...

ETA: there is difference between 'allergy' and 'intolerance'. The first involves immune system, the second doesn't, it's just 'lack of ability to metabolize properly', tho sometimes symptoms are similar.

this is a bit offtopic (tho on topic about allergies and Yuzuru has some of them :P), but for example it looks like babies born from caesaerian section have higher chances of developing allergies when they grow up(and developing allergies to many different substances) because of the lack of exposure to certain bacteria that would happen when a baby moves down birth canal (example of having the genes but being unable to activate them). Sometimes our body needs to be challenged to become stronger :biggrin:

ETA2: ethanol itself is toxic to the body, but we can usually metabolize it fast enough so we have no visible negative consequences. When this doesn't happen, we merely see the effects of that toxicity.

Thank you for the lengthy explanation! In his case, I'm inclined to believe it is allergy and not intolerance, because he said he did drink sake after his 20th birthday. And yet only mentioned the allergic reaction for the first time after surgery, some 3 weeks later. If it had been intolerance, there should have been signs from the first time he tried alcohol, no?

Either way, if the effects are negative to him, it's only natural he won't drink, regardless of whether it's really allergies or intolerance. (Although it is interesting, the stuff we learn from being Yuzu fans. I still remember checking back on old GS threads and finding everyone researching the urachal remnant disorder ^_^; )

14 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

@the alcohol topic: Iunno. When he said alcohol ain't for him on that show and then that account of him that made him sound like an extreme lightweight after just a bit of sake, I just take it alcohol ain't something he's super tolerant towards and isn't something he'd choose to consume *shrug* Didn't mean to imply anything more than that. And since he'll likely reject the content, but it's really what's printed on the can that's making waves, I just got that giving him the can sounds valid? I meant it as joke anyhow.

I think it's hard not to be a lightweight without practice. I used to drink socially and was quite ok with alcohol, but after going on a diet that also forbade alcohol for two years, I became extremely lightweight, to the point where a sip of beer made me instantly sleepy. So in his case, it makes sense he'd be extremely lightweight. Especially since the only account I know of was also probably his first time drinking. Or even if not first, definitely among the first times.

I have quite a few Asian friends and many of them react quickly to alcohol and they tell me it is an Asian thing (genetically). They still drink, it just takes very little to cause "drunk" symptoms, and even hives in one of them. One guy I knew (university experimentation, of course) had never had a drink before and then started complaining he could not feel his face... he was told that was perfectly normal after drinking a lot... it just took less for him to feel it than it did for us. For very health conscious people, and those who are very in control of themselves, feelings we consider normal for being drunk may be a real cause for alarm. They drink if they want (provided they dont experience sob and dangerous reactions) despite having issues, but if they do not like the feeling that is another story.  This is just based on the experiences with my friends, and everyone is different. 

4 hours ago, Pamigena said:

I'm not a medical anything, but can you conclude from a skin reaction to a disinfectant that you'd be allergic to drinking alcohol? 

I don't have any allergies, but I believe that the most common way of testing whether one is allergic to something, including food allergies, is putting allergens on one's skin and checking whether there's a reaction. People go to the doctor, have lots of plasters with various allergens taped to their skin, and they wait to see which will cause the reaction (though in half of the cases I heard about there is no reaction so either the doctors don't have that particular allergen or the method isn't reliable).  Perhaps Yuzu had further tests done once his reaction to disinfectant was discovered to see what particular substance he was allergic to.

It's Yuzu we're talking about, we know that he's prone to allergies, so alcohol allergy is just as likely as it being an excuse - and as someone who just doesn't like alcohol but is pressured to have he a drink sometimes, I wouldn't blame Yuzu for having an excuse. (And btw, we can't make it through life without some white lies, nobody is 100% truthful.)

please do understand there're ppl in this world they feel uncomfortable to drink and they tried several times and ended feeling awful and decided alcohol is no good to him.

I myself is such an example.

I am also alergic to medical alcohol, but i don't know if i can drink, so i tried with my friends. I just had a sip and then feel dizzy, and  had severe headache and my heart started beating too fast, and even vomitted.  At first I even thought it is normal reaction when ppl drinking, i thought maybe everyone else felt the same way.

And then i asked my friends why ppl like drinking if just so little make me feel sick. While they told me usually they felt very happy after drinking, only if they've taken too much and got a hang over the next day , the hang over syndrom seems similiar with my reaction with just a sip.

Then I understand, alcohol is not my thing, i dont want to suffer so much, and i can't feel even a little bit happiness dringking this, like a dope for me. 

So i think , it is normal that ppl don't know if they can drink or not and tried, and found wine doesn't work out for them.

My friends also laugh at me saying that it is a pity i can't have the fun of drinking, my answer is simililar as Yuzu, i had so many other happiness, such as Yuzu~,that's enough for me.

Actually since i had never known the happiness of drinking, i even don't envy the ppl who can enjoy and can't imagine that.

Really, i don't think there's a need for Yuzu to use this as excuse, simply he tried and found there's no fun.

3 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I'm also ready to admit Yuzu does bend the truth or hide things at times, but it's always done as part of his strategy and in direct connection to skating. He's also never 'lied' (I wouldn't call them outright lies myself, but that's a matter of interpretation) about having health issues, it was always the other way around, claiming to be healthy when he wasn't. So, to me, it'd be completely out of character for him to claim allergies if he doesn't have it.

What Yuzu is doing, by my understanding, is not lying but rather dissimulation, which involves giving others just enough true information to lead them to false conclusions.  The ability to dissimulate is a very desirable trait when engaged in high-level bargaining of almost any sort.  It's what separates the truly skilled from the abject amateur.  Yuzu over the years has shown himself quite capable of it, the most recent being his Olympic performance where because of how he skated the general impression was that by using only two different kinds of quads he was skating carefully to avoid reinjury, making everyone think he was quite recovered from his NHK fall.  The truth came out in later interviews where he admitted that he was on pain-killers when on the ice at PC.

My brother broke out in rash on his back the first time he drank alcohol with our dad, but that didn't stop him from getting drunk that time lol. The rash was uncomfortable temporarily, and went away after a few days. He can still consume alcohol, but over a certain amount it becomes uncomfortable for him. Since then, he uses it as a reason to politely turn down social drinking, and never drink (or only drinks a few sips) after that experience.

Not to compare Yuzu to him, but I can imagine Yuzu to be in similar situation in that his body does react to alcohol negatively, but he can still drink to certain extent, just not an excessive amount. And with that, he can also turn down any social drinking that he is not interested in without too much hassle too. And in Yuzu's case, since he is an athlete, he may just think that it is even more of a reason for him to not drink even if he can. (But in the end all this is just my speculation. I don't care if he drinks or not.)

54 minutes ago, getsurenka said:

(But in the end all this is just my speculation. I don't care if he drinks or not.)

1 minute ago, TallyT said:

And to be honest, I think we're crossing here into the 'none of our business' area - Yuzu says he is, I really have to protest that it's really no one's place but his doctor's to speculate on it.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude and I know none of us are meaning to either, but whether fans or not, this debating whether he's telling the truth about something we all know nothing about is making me uncomfortable.

5 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

A lot of Asians are allergic to alcohol tho - light versions of the allergy are what causes Asian glow (where you turn red at a small amount of alcohol LOL). You can build up tolerance but it is still an allergy. And some have even worse forms of it than just getting a glow, hives are not uncommon :tumblr_inline_mlrwzkKlZz1qz4rgp:

Hello! I was wondering where the gif at the bottom of your messages come from?

About the necklaces, I showed "Haru yo koi" to my mother twice, and each time she was like "Wait, did his neck just get longer!? Am I wrong?" so I had to tell her, "Calm down and look, he isn't wearing any necklace in this program." She accepted it but probably I will have to say the same thing when I show her the program again :D (she admires and envies his long neck)

6 minutes ago, Glory said:

Hey did y'all see the Niigata Faoi? Lorando Muffin has it on YouTube. Poor Yuzu falling near the end, but he did a great jump just a little while later. :) scared me though!

The smile after the fall is everything! :201111231756430f6:

2 minutes ago, Sammie said:

And what about the lady rushing up from the left :) she got close then was like "what am I doing? I can't touch him!" She really wanted to help. You can't blame her though Yuzuru fell almost right in front of their feet. I'd probably do the same.

hace 14 minutos , yude said:

About the necklaces, I showed "Haru yo koi" to my mother twice, and each time she was like "Wait, did his neck just get longer!? Am I wrong?" so I had to tell her, "Calm down and look, he isn't wearing any necklace in this program." She accepted it but probably I will have to say the same thing when I show her the program again :D (she admires and envies his long neck)

:rofl:

50 minutes ago, Glory said:

And what about the lady rushing up from the left :) she got close then was like "what am I doing? I can't touch him!" She really wanted to help. You can't blame her though Yuzuru fell almost right in front of their feet. I'd probably do the same.

Oh, I noticed that too. 

I really felt for her. 😊

55 minutes ago, Sammie said:

Yes, it is :67638860:

Everytime I watch Haru yo koi, like every day and all the versions, I always feel that it's too short. Maybe I'm just being greedy or does anyone feel the same like "I want more!!"

On 7/10/2018 at 2:42 PM, Sammie said:

That Jun next to Yuzu right? But where is Jason? 

I think the three boys on the end were Cha Jun-hwan, Joseph Phan, and Nishiyama Shingo because Yuzuru was wearing his grey and black under armour shirt with long sleeves in another photo. It could be the blurriness of Victoria's photo but the arms also look too short for him. Someone on Golden Skate said that Yuzuru took the black and white photo of Jason, Evgenia and one of the summer camp students, but an unrelated Russian fan added that when they reposted the photo on their own IG account. The original just had a #yuzuruhanyu hashtag like her other photo at the club.

お酒飲めない means you can't handle alcohol, not that you don't drink (飲まない). He said he tried sake when he was celebrating his coming of age day with his family and found out his body doesn't take it well. So I think he is either allergic or a lightweight. I have a friend (also Japanese) who is allergic to alcohol and just one sip of wine will make him very very drunk.