General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

So I don't know how many of you guys in here are in the US and have cable, but NBC offers the Olympics in 4K On Demand (though you need a 4k tv and 4k cable box) and it turns out that for the 4k broadcast they have completely different commentary AND different camera angles! A lot of times you feel like you were on the ice (if you have a really big tv, lol)! Charlie White was commentating and he is just so wonderful! I wish we could have him all the time. It's so clear how much he admires and respects Yuzu. He wouldn't shut up about him throughout the broadcast 0:)0:)0:).  And they posed the GOAT question and Charlie said "it's an easy argument to make because he's proven himself time and time again and this, when it matters most, he was able to do exactly what he needed to do when he needed to do it".   I'm trying to figure out how I can capture this before the On-Demand expires (I imagine the file will be massive), but if I can I hope to post!

Oh, I hope you can.  I love Charlie's commentary. Sadly I don't have 4K. Tanith was also very positive on the GOAT question, and extremely complimentary of his skating throughout PC, so I guess it's a family opinion. (Her gasp at his twizzles during his Notte Stella EX is a whole mood.)

I don't think this has been posted yet.

Translation of the Q&A from the People's Honor Award

http://nanoka12.tumblr.com/post/175475810906/q-a-after-peoples-honour-award-ceremony-2-july

This part in particular made me really sad for him and the pressure he puts on himself.

Q: What kind of skater do you want to become?

A: Within me I have slightly drawn the line that having received this wonderful award, it is unacceptable for me to be ordinary as a skater or as a person. In the future as well, including in my private life I want to live in a way that pays attention to various things and no one can point fingers at me and talk behind my back. As it is the same with regard to my views on skating, right now I think that first of all it is important that going forward too I give my utmost effort to skate in a way that will not bring shame to my own name and the wonderful name of the People’s Honour Award.

2 hours ago, LadyLou said:

linking this because it has sliiiiightly to do with the worries about Yuzuru feeling the pressure and responsability and feeling forced to change or tone down some sides of himself. Yuzuru's elegant reaffirming his stance while being humble, amazing :bow:

Can't wait for tadaki to talk more about this. I was actually thinking about the hakama and sendaihira and how Yuzu must've worn it for a reason (he could've just worn a suit like he did after) because there was a politician from Miyagi who tweeted about the sendaihira weave and started promoting it and news agencies + some JPN fans were posting articles and information about sendaihira as well. Truly the Lord of Sendai.

11 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Can't wait for tadaki to talk more about this. I was actually thinking about the hakama and sendaihira and how Yuzu must've worn it for a reason (he could've just worn a suit like he did after) because there was a politician from Miyagi who tweeted about the sendaihira weave and started promoting it and news agencies + some JPN fans were posting articles and information about sendaihira as well. Truly the Lord of Sendai.

1. In one of the translations of his interview, iirc Hanyu suggested he wanted to be more traditional-appearing (iirc, the rationale was because of the significance of the award) - hence the hakama.

2. There was another translation in this thread about a page or two ago re an interview with Koda stating that Koda's workshop decided to make the sendaihira hakama for Hanyu in June, and the workshop's weavers pulled together to turn what is described as typically a 6 month process into a one month job - so I don't think the reason Hanyu wore it would be because a politician was promoting it - more likely Hanyu would feel obliged to wear it given the value and significance of the gift (as well as the fact that it was gifted to him) and #1 above, and his need/desire to promote Sendai and Miyagi (evidenced by his comments that this award is in part due to all of those people who have supported him along the way - not to mention the fact that just about every post-award interview he comments about wanting to promote Sendai). What may be possible is that the politician was aware of Koda's workshop's plans, and therefore took that opportunity to tweet and promote it.

13 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

1. In one of the translations of his interview, iirc Hanyu suggested he wanted to be more traditional-appearing (iirc, the rationale was because of the significance of the award) - hence the hakama.

2. There was another translation in this thread about a page or two ago re an interview with Koda stating that Koda's workshop decided to make the sendaihira hakama for Hanyu in June, and the workshop's weavers pulled together to turn what is described as typically a 6 month process into a one month job - so I don't think the reason Hanyu wore it would be because a politician was promoting it - more likely Hanyu would feel obliged to wear it given the value and significance of the gift (as well as the fact that it was gifted to him) and #1 above, and his need/desire to promote Sendai and Miyagi (evidenced by his comments that this award is in part due to all of those people who have supported him along the way - not to mention the fact that just about every post-award interview he comments about wanting to promote Sendai). What may be possible is that the politician was aware of Koda's workshop's plans, and therefore took that opportunity to tweet and promote it.

Aaah... I didn't mean that he wore it for that politician. I meant that him wearing that hakama became an opportunity for that politician to talk about the hakama (the politician tweeted about a collaboration between sendaihira and gucci bags and the profits were to help with 3/11 disaster victims). Sorry if my wording wasn't clear about that part. Basically, I saw a lot of people (not just the politician) tweeting about sendaihira and so he basically honoured the gift while promoting it at the same time.

1 hour ago, xeyra said:

I don't think this has been posted yet.

Translation of the Q&A from the People's Honor Award

http://nanoka12.tumblr.com/post/175475810906/q-a-after-peoples-honour-award-ceremony-2-july

This part in particular made me really sad for him and the pressure he puts on himself.

huh... it’s kind of upsetting that he apparently feels like he needs to be hyper aware of how he presents himself even in his private life to avoid negative commentary. i wish the focus was more on dismissing the people pointing fingers and causing talk than on yuzuru restraining/changing himself in any way.

yes, I agree.  People should get a life rather than critiquing someone else's life.

His private life is none of our business.

Let us just appreciate the beauty of his skating, his continued contributions to figure skating and how he is a role model for a good, kind, caring human being!!

17 hours ago, yuzupon said:

That's exactly what I thought too!

Whoah, there!

That smile, Zu, I'm sending my funeral bill to you.

How did they cut Abe in this, tho? I mean, I get it. But still 😂

Sooooo, now that we have Hanyu-family crest, serious question. How frowned upon would that be, if I start having pins and stickers of that everywhere?

I don't know if someone already answered this, but I'm not sure anyone other than the Hanyu family are supposed to use that crest. It was more of a big deal back in the Shogun days where they are put on flags to signal friend or foe, but I think there's still a thing where you shouldn't use it unless you have the right to. For the more famous emblems, they put it on temples and logos for their company, but I don't think Hanyu crest is that famous.

I don't recommend it?

Oh and Yuzu_Kanami on Instagram posted a long Japanese post about the history behind the Hanyu crest. If my google translate is correct, it's been around for 300 years.

20 minutes ago, Erin said:

What's the survey(?) @5:31 about? Is there anything of interest here? :thanks:

It's about which famous/significant moment in Yuzu's career people would like to see one more time. The answer options include first successful quad, winning NHK at 17 in Rifu, Miyagi, Sochi win, first 300+ score, Pyongchang win, and "something else such as Sendai parades, winning poses etc."

13 hours ago, MrPudding said:

This topic was just brought up because the lady that sat next to yuzu is the current JSF president. Apparantly she did ‘that’ to yuzu and I’m currently looking for more info about this

Not the cute little Japanese lady that sat with Yuzu at the Sochi Olympics when he broke 100 pt right? I noticed her at this year's Olympics as well. Or is she the former JSF president or not the president of any kind and just a JSF official? I'm so confused.