General Yuzuru Chat

33 minutes ago, k8y said:

Can I ask you a question? Please ignore if it's too personal or you just don't feel like answering it. I've never been part of an international fandom before and I'm amazed by not just the number of languages people speak but how well they speak them. There are people here who speak Russian/Japanese/English in addition to other languages on this forum. You're from VN, but your English is perfect. I speak two languages, but do so because because I grew up speaking them. The other languages I tried to learn later in life were complete fails on my part and I have lost them both! Please tell me your secret - how did you (and other multilingual posters) pick up and maintain the languages you speak (assuming you didn't speak from birth)? 

As a French Canadian, French was natural. I'm Chinese, so my parents speak some Chinese dialect and they also took me to English classes outside of school and basic Spanish in high school. I'd say the secret to learning a new language is practice.

Eta: watching shows in English or asian dramas with English subtitles also helped me improve my English hehe

I'm from Romania and Romanian being a latin language it was kinda easy for me to learn Spanish and Italian which I can read and understand well enough, especially Spanish. Talking is harder haha. English, I've learn in junior high and high school. Watching movies, listening to music and reading helped me improve! :yes: I've learned some Russian in junior high but I must admit that I forgot almost everything ... :img_20:

In my case, English is a language offered in the school curriculum in my country. Allied to the fact we don't dub TV shows and movies here (unless they're children's cartoons/movies), it means a lot of exposure to English. I also tend to read mostly in English. I can read Spanish well enough but don't ask me to actually talk it. :laughing:

I lost the little French I learned in school, though. Lack of practice. 

1 час назад, k8y сказал:

Please tell me your secret - how did you (and other multilingual posters) pick up and maintain the languages you speak (assuming you didn't speak from birth)? 

I'm Russian and know all my English from school - especially last two years of school where quite serious (I had to learn some subjects more in-depth than if I was in normal class). I hadn't forgotten it till now due to my love for at first American band, then Finnish F1 driver, later Yuzu - always read English articles about my faves and loved English commentators. Also I love to travel.

Now I'm studying Japanese and wondering why I'm doing it to myself?! :68468287:

2 hours ago, k8y said:

Can I ask you a question? Please ignore if it's too personal or you just don't feel like answering it. I've never been part of an international fandom before and I'm amazed by not just the number of languages people speak but how well they speak them. There are people here who speak Russian/Japanese/English in addition to other languages on this forum. You're from VN, but your English is perfect. I speak two languages, but do so because because I grew up speaking them. The other languages I tried to learn later in life were complete fails on my part and I have lost them both! Please tell me your secret - how did you (and other multilingual posters) pick up and maintain the languages you speak (assuming you didn't speak from birth)? 

I was born im Germany to Turkish parents so I was raised bilingually. I learned English and French in school but all my French has left me bc I hated all my French teachers after middle school and quite frankly my English did not stay with me thanks to school but thanks to being obsessed with stuff only accessible in English. The only language adventure that paid off ended up being Korean and I can hold a conversation but I used to be better at it. I think the only real shortcut to gaining and maintaining fluency in a language is necessity! But immersion also helps which I don’t think is only achievable by travel... Find something that interests you in the language you’re learning! ideally something you’re obsessed with 

2 hours ago, robin said:

I was born im Germany to Turkish parents so I was raised bilingually. I learned English and French in school but all my French has left me bc I hated all my French teachers after middle school and quite frankly my English did not stay with me thanks to school but thanks to being obsessed with stuff only accessible in English. The only language adventure that paid off ended up being Korean and I can hold a conversation but I used to be better at it. I think the only real shortcut to gaining and maintaining fluency in a language is necessity! But immersion also helps which I don’t think is only achievable by travel... Find something that interests you in the language you’re learning! ideally something you’re obsessed with 

There we have part of the explanation for how many people know some Japanese here! And I'm grateful to them all. 

5 hours ago, k8y said:

Kind of echoing what everyone has said, but I think you either need immersion or a huge amount of interest (e.g. wanting to be able to understand shows/movies) to pick up a language :)  I got interested in Japanese while I was studying intermediate French in middle school and totally jumped ship :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: Needless to say, my French is non-existent now.

For me, Japanese was a way to understand anime/manga because I got frustrated waiting for translations and it seemed like a lot of fun. I've studied it on/off ever since but I really need to sit down and do some formal learning because my Japanese is hella rusty. When you get good enough, you'll notice you'll be able to understand bits and pieces and when you get even better you can try subbing which is actually a lot of fun and very satisfying!

I do think formal teaching is important though, just to get your foundations right. I've picked up a lot of Korean through osmosis from years of drama watching and I can understand basic conversations but can't speak to save my life :13877886:

So in summary, the best combo would be 1) go to classes or get a good textbook, 2) watch/read a lot of material like TV/books/movies to keep it fun and motivating, and 3) practice speaking or formulating sentences through a penpal/language buddy/living in the country itself

At my school, we have English and Mandarin as the language courses. And I can tell you English is the easier one for me. For Mandarin, if I don't have enough motivation to learn it then it's easily forgettable and dumped into the ocean. Those Chinese characters are so bizarre to me, and I also notice they are almost the same as Japanese kanji. Though I'm not sure the characters actually have the same meaning or not.. :14066882:

9 minutes ago, Ferrer said:

At my school, we have English and Mandarin as the language courses. And I can tell you English is the easier one for me. For Mandarin, if I don't have enough motivation to learn it then it's easily forgettable and dumped into the ocean. Those Chinese characters are so bizarre to me, and I also notice they are almost the same as Japanese kanji. Though I'm not sure the characters actually have the same meaning or not.. :14066882:

Some are, many don’t. All bizzare and hard 

8 hours ago, k8y said:

Spoiler

Aw thank you! <3 I'm not sure I can help you with any specialties bcuz my dad is a diplomat, resulting in my family occasionally moving to countries according to his job placement. I was surrounded by English since I was 5, so it's kind of my second language :biggrin:. But I can speak from that experience that the best way to get a hold of how a language flow is by reading books, watching movies and listening to music + vocabulary. Do anything that keeps you super interested in it in the most natural ways, and grammar will come when you need it. Personally I never knew grammar existed until I return to my country, and it seemed so weird to me that we make up functions to speak haha.

I hope I really do have a knack for language though, since what I learn from 5 doesn't count as a talent, and now I wanna learn Japanese. The things I do since I knew him :3: 

Initially I was having trouble in deciding whether my 3rd language would be Korean, Mandarin or Japanese. Guess who decided it for me :dry: