General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, Whee1000 said:

So, asking for your patience here but:

Can someone direct me to or provide an explanation as to what Mr Hanyu was aiming for with Hope and Legacy? I seem to understand it’s about nature, and he was thinking about wind and trees, but is there an article or interview where it is stated what exactly he was trying to express? Is HE the wind, trees, nature, etc? Is he just a human enjoying nature, catching a falling star, etc? I can find bits and pieces about it, and lots of chat about the 2017 Worlds  results but not one whole, concise explanation as to...what is it all  about? (I don’t ask for much. Lol)

Sorry for the text wall— I love the program, it’s a jewel.  よろしくお願いいたします。🙇🏻‍♀️

Here's the best and most comprehensive explanation I've read from Shae-Lynn's own mouth

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1610393525875114/permalink/1813272922253839/

13 時間前, Whee1000さんが言いました:

So, asking for your patience here but:

Can someone direct me to or provide an explanation as to what Mr Hanyu was aiming for with Hope and Legacy? I seem to understand it’s about nature, and he was thinking about wind and trees, but is there an article or interview where it is stated what exactly he was trying to express? Is HE the wind, trees, nature, etc? Is he just a human enjoying nature, catching a falling star, etc? I can find bits and pieces about it, and lots of chat about the 2017 Worlds  results but not one whole, concise explanation as to...what is it all  about? (I don’t ask for much. Lol)

Sorry for the text wall— I love the program, it’s a jewel.  よろしくお願いいたします。🙇🏻‍♀️

H&L is nature and himself.

After 2017world, looking back the competition he said he expresses nature at this program, so one of goals was to restrain (control the outpouring of ) emotions and he achieved it at Helsinki.

Maybe the article was in ICE JEWELS.

Anyone else order CiONTU merch internationally? It seems merch has been delivered in Japan, and some who used jp homemaker have received notification that their's has shipped. I used cdjapan and no news so far, but I'm hoping it will also be shipped soon!

late to the party, but re: Hope and Legacy

5 hours ago, kaerb said:

Here's the best and most comprehensive explanation I've read from Shae-Lynn's own mouth

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1610393525875114/permalink/1813272922253839/

how come that I hadn't read this yet? :embSwan: I mean, I'm sure I had read some parts but not the whole thing:13877886:

ok, I'm gonna paste some quotes, starting form the interview to Shae above (between SC and NHK2016)

This year, because of injury, he had the opportunity to face his inner self and feel the movement of the body. This is a new perspective, that is not just about focusing on skating, but to feel your life as a whole and release your emotions... As if wings are grown, he will fly, fly to sky. The world is wonderful, the world is beautiful. Learn about yourself, learn what is freedom. Erase all your fear and doubts. The fact that you are living, living your life, be yourself...Feel the happiness.

:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

@Huiqi has already linked to Ice Jewels vol 4 (amazon tells me it was published on October 21st, so before Skate Canada 2016, and Yuzuru speaks about his recovery post Boston too, so I guess it was taken around media day or during ACI at the latest)

I find this quote very poignant of Yuzu's "intentions" in crafting this program, starting from the name he gave to the program and the two music pieces he choose for it

[...]Regarding the music, in my heart I had already decided firmly on the theme from the start. With this theme in mind, I searched for the music. As such, what I wanted to express was very clear.
Of course I am the one skating but I do not want make it a programme that forces my feelings onto others.[...]

adding this interview  in Ice Jeweks vol 5 (February 2017 before 4CC)

my intent with this program—because Mr Hisaishi’s music envelops the entire arena rather than overly emphasizes itself—in my mind, I only exist as a part of that space and I want to perform the program as such. The wind over the rink, the coolness in the air, the moisture, the splashing crystals of ice… to bring all these things into one with myself and the music.

(also there is an in-depth analysis of H&L translated by Gladi)

From all of this I gather that when Yuzuru speaks about things like nature, wind and water in H&L, he doesn't want to paint a scenery (some after-WC article claimed he was describing finnish nature:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:), instead he wishes to use his body to express the emotions of "being immersed" in those natural elements, the feeling the wind on skin, listening to the sounds all around, filling lungs with the scent of the air and so on...to perceive everything till being part of the whole.

(nature in Requiem was harsher, it was merciless and brought sorrow and despair, but could also turn unexpectedly quiet and soothing, while H&L feels more about gentle waves, the calm of woods...)

If I had to choose a single word to define H&L it would be flow. The never-ending cycle of a river to the sea, of the wind always changing, that endless cycle of nature that is also something more, though, a forward motion, an evolution.

In this sense it also links to H&L being Yuzu’s personal journey put into music. The beginning, the joy, the moments of struggle and the pain and the fight and the rebirth, the celebration, Yuzuru shares all of that, his cycle that is also a forward motion, his journey where he keeps moving further ahead (as one of his UA said:tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:). And the flow doesn't stop, not even at the end of the program, when Yuzuru spreads his arms out to the audience, offering his legacy...tho in Helsinki it was also a scary challenge and most certainly a celebration of Yuzuru winning over himself:knc_brian1:

All in all, imo the best way to enjoy H&L is just let the music and the movements sweep you away, an unbroken flow that lulls and rushes and enfolds. Everytime I watch, I end with a sense of calm and serenity which is the most beautiful thing :10636614:

1 hour ago, skateIT said:

Anyone else order CiONTU merch internationally? It seems merch has been delivered in Japan, and some who used jp homemaker have received notification that their's has shipped. I used cdjapan and no news so far, but I'm hoping it will also be shipped soon!

I haven't received anything from CD Japan either. At least I know it's not just me :P

3 hours ago, LadyLou said:

late to the party, but re: Hope and Legacy

how come that I hadn't read this yet? :embSwan: I mean, I'm sure I had read some parts but not the whole thing:13877886:

ok, I'm gonna paste some quotes, starting form the interview to Shae above (between SC and NHK2016)

:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

@Huiqi has already linked to Ice Jewels vol 4 (amazon tells me it was published on October 21st, so before Skate Canada 2016, and Yuzuru speaks about his recovery post Boston too, so I guess it was taken around media day or during ACI at the latest)

I find this quote very poignant of Yuzu's "intentions" in crafting this program, starting from the name he gave to the program and the two music pieces he choose for it

adding this interview  in Ice Jeweks vol 5 (February 2017 before 4CC)

(also there is an in-depth analysis of H&L translated by Gladi)

From all of this I gather that when Yuzuru speaks about things like nature, wind and water in H&L, he doesn't want to paint a scenery (some after-WC article claimed he was describing finnish nature:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:), instead he wishes to use his body to express the emotions of "being immersed" in those natural elements, the feeling the wind on skin, listening to the sounds all around, filling lungs with the scent of the air and so on...to perceive everything till being part of the whole.

(nature in Requiem was harsher, it was merciless and brought sorrow and despair, but could also turn unexpectedly quiet and soothing, while H&L feels more about gentle waves, the calm of woods...)

If I had to choose a single word to define H&L it would be flow. The never-ending cycle of a river to the sea, of the wind always changing, that endless cycle of nature that is also something more, though, a forward motion, an evolution.

In this sense it also links to H&L being Yuzu’s personal journey put into music. The beginning, the joy, the moments of struggle and the pain and the fight and the rebirth, the celebration, Yuzuru shares all of that, his cycle that is also a forward motion, his journey where he keeps moving further ahead (as one of his UA said:tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:). And the flow doesn't stop, not even at the end of the program, when Yuzuru spreads his arms out to the audience, offering his legacy...tho in Helsinki it was also a scary challenge and most certainly a celebration of Yuzuru winning over himself:knc_brian1:

All in all, imo the best way to enjoy H&L is just let the music and the movements sweep you away, an unbroken flow that lulls and rushes and enfolds. Everytime I watch, I end with a sense of calm and serenity which is the most beautiful thing :10636614:

Absolutely agree. There's a smoothness and flow to his movements. Everything looks effortless (which is why when he falls it breaks the flow and punishes the program). When performed perfectly, as in his WR setting WC win, it's a masterpiece and master class in skating.