General Yuzuru Chat

9 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

That's why I don't think getting an actual photo of him should be all that difficult. ESPN is ultimately owned by Disney which owns the great Pooh himself. They are not hurting for cash. I really think this was a conscious decision rather than a cost prohibitive one. And it does add a little interest to the back of the magazine. I think they just don't know how to handle a popular male figure skater. Soccer? Gotchu. Basketball? Gotchu. Figure skating? Suddenly uncharted territory, folks :laughing:

You know what I bet happened?  Their illustrator is a Yuzu fan and begged for the chance to draw him for the article.  I mean, don't forget, someone had to draw that picture and it must have been fun.

As a first-hand witness in Boston (it was my first live comp), it was awful in a lot of ways and it still makes me depressed thinking about it.

Others have summed things up well, but the major thing was Yuzu was on a hot streak of breaking records earlier in the season. In the SP he had a 12 pt lead above Javi and back then, a 12 point lead was something you no one usually overcame (it's a lot different now with all the quads). Javi had started the season with a 1 quad SP, and 3 quad + 1 3A FS and upgraded to a 2 quad SP and 3 quad + 2 x 3A FS layout after GPF due to how Yuzu was blowing through records. The worst thing about Boston for me was two things:

- Yuzu's FS felt like it was coming all apart, people were calling it a meltdown and saying he couldn't handle the nerves. The tone was set the moment he messed up the first jump.

- Javi won by skating cleanly in his FS getting a score similar to what Yuzu set at NHK, allowing him to overcome that 12 pt lead and win with a large margin that wasn't broken until Worlds in 2019 I believe.

It was really the long awaited moment where Yuzu, and fans, expected him to take back the World title after 2015 Shanghai which was his season from hell after the Olympics. All signs pointed to it as he was breaking records left and right and had skated a clean SP nearly breaking his own WR, to watch it all sort of fall apart was heartbreaking. I'll never forget what his faced looked like during the medal ceremony, I just wanted it to hurry up and finish so he could leave the ice. It was quite emotional for me watching him receive his medal in Helsinki, this memory came up again as the Japanese anthem played and made me crying mess.

44 minutes ago, kiches said:

As a first-hand witness in Boston (it was my first live comp), it was awful in a lot of ways and it still makes me depressed thinking about it.

Others have summed things up well, but the major thing was Yuzu was on a hot streak of breaking records earlier in the season. In the SP he had a 12 pt lead above Javi and back then, a 12 point lead was something you no one usually overcame (it's a lot different now with all the quads). Javi had started the season with a 1 quad SP, and 3 quad + 1 3A FS and upgraded to a 2 quad SP and 3 quad + 2 x 3A FS layout after GPF due to how Yuzu was blowing through records. The worst thing about Boston for me was two things:

- Yuzu's FS felt like it was coming all apart, people were calling it a meltdown and saying he couldn't handle the nerves. The tone was set the moment he messed up the first jump.

- Javi won by skating cleanly in his FS getting a score similar to what Yuzu set at NHK, allowing him to overcome that 12 pt lead and win with a large margin that wasn't broken until Worlds in 2019 I believe.

It was really the long awaited moment where Yuzu, and fans, expected him to take back the World title after 2015 Shanghai which was his season from hell after the Olympics. All signs pointed to it as he was breaking records left and right and had skated a clean SP nearly breaking his own WR, to watch it all sort of fall apart was heartbreaking. I'll never forget what his faced looked like during the medal ceremony, I just wanted it to hurry up and finish so he could leave the ice. It was quite emotional for me watching him receive his medal in Helsinki, this memory came up again as the Japanese anthem played and made me crying mess.

:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: :grouphug:

I can't imagine how hard it must have been, to witness that exhilarating string of records and then be there during that FS, it's awful enough reading it and i have never managed to watch the whole Boston FS, it's just heartbreaking thinking about how Yuzuru was feeling while skating:cry: (and in the presscon he looked so sober and quiet, and journalists kind of felt he wanted to be left alone so he spoke very little...tho it was very sweet to see Javi reaching out to pat Yuzu's leg now and then:tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:)

One of the things that made me worry before OWG FS is that the set up was so freakin' similar to Boston, even though I couldn't imagine any other outcome than Yuzuru winning gold, in the back of my mind there was that ghost from Boston:tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw: So happy that Yuzuru didn't let any of that affect him, his mentality was truly amazing in PyeongChang:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Anyway to more joyful matters, @Hydroblade can you link me that pancake rating chart and the cacti chart? I know, I know, today I'm nagging you non-stop, it's the last thing I ask for today because I'll be off to bed soon:tumblr_inline_mn41rcGFcT1qz4rgp:

To satellites who want totake a peek to the Glossary (YES it's finally here!) I promise there are much more entries almost ready, but I will add them tomorrow. In the meanwhile feel free to suggest everything you want:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

ETA: all right it looks like Hydro got away while I was writing my wall-text, lucky her :laughing:

So I'll stop for now and see you guys tomorrow :th_grave:

10 hours ago, Toni said:

Looking at the judges' scores for his record setting 2015/2016 GPF. I am outraged! Who is judge 5? A 9.0 for skating skills and Transitions? A 9.25  for Choreography? For Chopin 2.0? How dare you!

5 hours ago, LadyLou said:

Also I'm asking satellites's help re:how Yuzu's name has been butchered by commentators (need them for our, glossary, to be born very soon:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:) I only remember Hamyulla and Yazunori Hanya, anyone remembering a few more? 

I've heard Yuzuru 'Hanyo' a lot. But my favorite mangling is not a name but the time an announcer introduced both Yuzu and Shoma as Chinese. Yuzu's side-eye is epic,  and when the announcer followed up by saying 'Boyang Jin, China', Yuzu does the most sarcastic slow clap ever. It's worth Googling the video.

29 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I've heard Yuzuru 'Hanyo' a lot. But my favorite mangling is not a name but the time an announcer introduced both Yuzu and Shoma as Chinese. Yuzu's side-eye is epic,  and when the announcer followed up by saying 'Boyang Jin, China', Yuzu does the most sarcastic slow clap ever. It's worth Googling the video.

If anyone wants to watch:tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

18 minutes ago, Yuzu Beloved Angel said:

The mistakes happen.:laughing:WC 2015  4:29 Javier -Fernandez from Japan!!

The irony is that the chinese announcement is correct. XD Someone was getting ahead of themselves.