General Yuzuru Chat

40 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Does ESPN own all the other images? Being the huge sports network they are with their very own sporting championship, I'd imagine they own every image they print of athletes. And I'm thinking they probably don't own a single one of Hanyu's seeing how they've never really covered him before.

That's why I don't think getting an actual photo of him should be all that difficult. ESPN is ultimately owned by Disney which owns the great Pooh himself. They are not hurting for cash. I really think this was a conscious decision rather than a cost prohibitive one. And it does add a little interest to the back of the magazine. I think they just don't know how to handle a popular male figure skater. Soccer? Gotchu. Basketball? Gotchu. Figure skating? Suddenly uncharted territory, folks :laughing:

19 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

That's why I don't think getting an actual photo of him should be all that difficult. ESPN is ultimately owned by Disney which owns the great Pooh himself. They are not hurting for cash. I really think this was a conscious decision rather than a cost prohibitive one. And it does add a little interest to the back of the magazine. I think they just don't know how to handle a popular male figure skater. Soccer? Gotchu. Basketball? Gotchu. Figure skating? Suddenly uncharted territory, folks :laughing:

I think they might have tried to play up the anime aspect of his fandom. Not that he's an anime character, of course (duh), but there's an overlap in the fandoms, and he's Japanese (=anime, in the Western mind), and he does have that look. If so, there are millions of better fanart of him but hey ..... :facepalm::rofl:

15 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I think they might have tried to play up the anime aspect of his fandom. Not that he's an anime character, of course (duh), but there's an overlap in the fandoms, and he's Japanese (=anime, in the Western mind), and he does have that look. If so, there are millions of better fanart of him but hey ..... :facepalm::rofl:

That also crossed my mind, but...it's so stereotypical too. Not that they are immune to being that way.

2 hours ago, Whee1000 said:

If I may inquire, what happened in Boston exactly? Sounds like a major fiasco occurred, but also like it was used to improve his training/focus/etc. So I gather from bits and pieces of people’s posts. Thank you!

On top of what people have said there were other complications, because Javi was also hurt and Brian had to deal with both of them in really bad states. Yuzu being Yuzu I think hid most of his issues , so Brian focused more on Javi, who he could clearly see needed help (and I think there were a lot of people then that concluded Brian couldn't handle both and be fair to both at the same time). Javi got medical help and was able to recover enough to be clean and win - probably also because by then he had relaxed and wasn't stressed anymore. On the other hand, on top of everything else said, Yuzu had the expectations of his World Records and tons of pressure. In interviews after, Yuzu said something that in the lead-up to Boston - I think Javi increased his technical content, adding an additional quad after GPF - was the first time that he found Javi's existence (as a skater, of course) scary. Losing in Boston was a lot worse to losing in Shanghai it seemed and there seems to have been tension all around. With Javi, but also with the coaching team. Boston was a real disaster, but they sorted it out in the following season, when they sat down and started really communicating. So I think in its own way, it was a very important lesson. It was also following that that they decided to always have more than one coach for the big events, so Tracy was there at Worlds '17 and both Tracy and Ghislain were there at Olys. That way they could ensure someone could be with each skater at all times.

As for the injury, the full extent of it was only revealed months later, in this interview: https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/152938849872/ice-jewels-vol4-special-interview-before-start-of

2 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Major drama! :cry: Yuzu lost the WC gold medal, after an amazing season with 4 WR and lots of memorable performances! He was second after Javi! BUT, he was so hurt and injured ... and ofc, nobody knew, not even Brian iirc .... Yuzu said in an interview that he believed that the Gala performance was to be his last skate and that was his most emotional EX I've ever seen from him, just beautiful and aetheric... :crybaby: ... It was heartbreaking! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

I think Brian knew, but not how bad it was. Or he thought it had healed after the post-Nationals treatment. I'll have to check his book again.

I'm almost glad I wasn't following Yuzu as closely in 2016. Yes, he had an amazing season with so many brilliant performances, but knowing myself there's no way I could've stayed objective after Boston and I'd end up resenting Brian. Even though it's so obvious now that there was a communication issue and he wasn't at fault, but I'm too biased. 

44 minutes ago, ajnats said:

I'm almost glad I wasn't following Yuzu as closely in 2016. Yes, he had an amazing season with so many brilliant performances, but knowing myself there's no way I could've stayed objective after Boston and I'd end up resenting Brian. Even though it's so obvious now that there was a communication issue and he wasn't at fault, but I'm too biased. 

All of this story is new to me, since I started following Yuzu seriously only after LGC came out, but having been both a competitor and a coach in Canadian amateur sports, and therefore knowing a little bit about how coaches are trained here, I can feel confident in saying that someone like Brian would never knowingly ignore an issue that big with one of their athletes. It's a massive no-no and completely opposite to the Canadian approach to sport in general. Brian must have been quite upset when he finally realized what had really been going on with Yuzu that year. 

When all is said and done and Brian finally hangs up his many team coats and retires from coaching, I hope he writes a book about his coaching methods and philosophies, because I really want to know them.

40 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Brian would never knowingly ignore an issue that big with one of their athletes.

Oh, I completely believe that! It's just the combination of not having enough info and then waiting for months before knowing the whole story that would probably make me irrational and defensive. I'd never think he'd actually ignore Yuzuru's injury. 

6 hours ago, Whee1000 said:

If I may inquire, what happened in Boston exactly? Sounds like a major fiasco occurred, but also like it was used to improve his training/focus/etc. So I gather from bits and pieces of people’s posts. Thank you!

I see others have already answered but I'll link to this post from Alice(the-real-xmonster) for an emotional summary:sadPooh:

ETA to me Pyeongchang Gold and that majestic, if not flawless, SEIMEI feel like a vindication for Boston. There were so many parallelisms, with his injury and so on, but one thing was fundamentally different and that was Yuzu's mental condition going intorno Olys. And that was thanks to Boston and all it taught both Yuzuru and his team...:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid::tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Also I'm asking satellites's help re:how Yuzu's name has been butchered by commentators (need them for our, glossary, to be born very soon:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:) I only remember Hamyulla and Yazunori Hanya, anyone remembering a few more? 

sorry.. this is so super off-topic (I am not sure what people are discussing these days). 

I am just here to say, I love Hanyu Yuzuru. He gives me strength during my exam time which is now. hope his perseverance would stay with me next month when I will be working on thesis.

17 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Why on earth would anyone juxtapose those two programs together? And more to the point, why would you juxtapose those two programs' music together...

A week or two ago, I commented that it seemed like the Olympics channel finally worked out how to get more clicks and views on their channel and feed. Now it just seems like they've gone overboard with too much of a good thing...out of sheer desperation to keep things going on a good roll, they create this...er...messy media...

37 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

ehrm, that's... a bit...chaotic:laughing:

tho it emphasizes how different his set of movements are, sharp with "cool"vibe in PW and more soft and languid in Ballade:10636614:

also sorry @Hydroblade, @yuzuangel I might have hidden by accident the glossary thread I've just created :headdesk2:

could you un-hide it for me?:pouty: