General Yuzuru Chat

13 hours ago, Sammie said:

Oh absolutely. The thought of Brian bringing  Boyang in without asking Yuzu never even crossed my mind. After the whole misunderstanding with Yuna and Mao he knows better. 

Thanks for all your responses! I think you're right, that it's most likely that Orser ran Boyang Jin by Yuzuru first. Plus I remember that Yuzu first sought out Orser because he wanted to train with Javi. Maybe he prefers to train alongside another top level skater, especially because he likes to learn jumps by watching others perform them successfully for his image training. And Yuzu and Boyang seem to share mutual admiration and an easier rapport so hopefully it'll be a fantastic and exciting new chapter at TCC. 😄

23 hours ago, Toni said:

Absolutely. It's also helpful to the Russian and Chinese authorities to see how two of the top skaters in the world -- competitors from different countries, no less -- have been so well nurtured at TCC they can embrace each other joyfully and yet still put their "murder faces" on and have at it. The Chinese also already know that Yuzu and Boyang get along like two peas in a pod, so they can easily have the same kind of competitive camaraderie.  Zhenya will probably also work out, since her main complaint was that she had no creative control, combined with her coach favoring younger skaters with better music, better choreo, and more attention.  If she has creative control -- the way TCC gives all their skaters -- I think she will finally be happy. 

I just realized how TCC creates such an environment of sportsmanship and camaraderie. Borser makes his students understand that they're "in charge," which is what he tells them when they get out on the rink. Unlike many coaches, he is THEIR asset instead of them being HIS assets. And he equips them, equally, to design their OWN strategies.  Remember how proud he sounded when he said Yuzu had a plan A, B, C, and D while he was skating? That's because Brian is teaching them all how to make on the spot, smart decisions for themselves, while they're on the ice.  With creative control, learning to trust their own decisions, and the best training available to help them adapt quickly, they can never blame Brian if their strategy doesn't work. It's no wonder Yuzu, Javi, and Jun-Hwan have so much fun; they're like brothers, playing games (to win.) 

3 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

He is the only one illustrated. Everyone else gets actual photographs if the got more than just a listing.  I can't say I understand the method to the madness:headdesk2:.

That's really weird... reminds me of Javi's documentary where they used fanart to introduce Yuzu :laughing:

1 minute ago, kaeryth said:

That's really weird... reminds me of Javi's documentary where they used fanart to introduce Yuzu :laughing:

He has literally MILLIONS of photos to choose from and it's like they don't know the first thing to do.  It can't be decision anxiety... But truly, I really think they thought they were doing something special.  4 pages.  Most didn't get that.  

40 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

He has literally MILLIONS of photos to choose from and it's like they don't know the first thing to do.  It can't be decision anxiety... But truly, I really think they thought they were doing something special.  4 pages.  Most didn't get that.  

Anything interesting that wasn't included in the online article?

21 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Dates for Makuhari & Kanazawa FaOI Broadcasts!

Fantasy on Ice 2018 Makuhari

Saturday, July 21 (Sat) 14: 00 ~ 18: 00
Sunday, July 22 (Sun) 14: 00 ~ 18: 00
Saturday, July 28th from 14: 00-18: 00

Fantasy on Ice 2018 Kanazawa

Sunday, July 29 (Sun) from 14: 00-18: 00

Dates for FaOI Shizuoka coming soon.

These are the broadcast dates or show dates?

2 hours ago, Toni said:

I just realized how TCC creates such an environment of sportsmanship and camaraderie. Borser makes his students understand that they're "in charge," which is what he tells them when they get out on the rink. Unlike many coaches, he is THEIR asset instead of them being HIS assets. And he equips them, equally, to design their OWN strategies.  Remember how proud he sounded when he said Yuzu had a plan A, B, C, and D while he was skating? That's because Brian is teaching them all how to make on the spot, smart decisions for themselves, while they're on the ice.  With creative control, learning to trust their own decisions, and the best training available to help them adapt quickly, they can never blame Brian if their strategy doesn't work. It's no wonder Yuzu, Javi, and Jun-Hwan have so much fun; they're like brothers, playing games (to win.) 

That being said, I really cannot get over both the Chinese and the Russians letting star athletes out of their respective countries to train in the West. Maybe all of you are too young to remember the Cold War and what things have been like in sports with those two countries for a very long time, but trust me when I say that this represents a sea change in thinking for both those nations. I'm marvelling. 

I'm also kind of marvelling that the Japanese skating federation/ Japanese government didn't express more concern about their star skating with a Chinese athlete, considering how tense the relationship between Japan and China can sometimes be.

It's like geopolitical influences/interferences are slowly ebbing away from sport. It's so awesome but it's so weird to witness for children of the Cold War like me. 

I think not using Yuzu's pictures may have something to do with the complicated and strict copyright laws in Japan. So rather than try to find a way to make it work, they just went the art way. In a way it also fits the theme of the article, though, with the focus on fans and his star status.

As for Jason to TCC, I wonder if that's meant to balance out the quad boys lol With Yuzu, Boyang and Stephen, TCC will be Quad Central. I think Jun is also starting to train quads, so getting someone like Jason in balances things out. On the other hand, if he's ever going to really get quads, there's no better place for him to get them than TCC. Aside from great coaches, he'll have Yuzu and probably Boyang, too, giving tips and helping out. Ah, I almost wish they made a TCC Reality Show to see all that awesomeness lol (Almost. TCC privacy is far more important, but I'm sure the atmosphere will be awesome.)

23 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That being said, I really cannot get over both the Chinese and the Russians letting star athletes out of their respective countries to train in the West. Maybe all of you are too young to remember the Cold War and what things have been like in sports with those two countries for a very long time, but trust me when I say that this represents a sea change in thinking for both those nations. I'm marvelling. 

I'm also kind of marvelling that the Japanese skating federation/ Japanese government didn't express more concern about their star skating with a Chinese athlete, considering how tense the relationship between Japan and China can sometimes be.

It's like geopolitical influences/interferences are slowly ebbing away from sport. It's so awesome but it's so weird to witness for children of the Cold War like me. 

I lived in Berlin, Germany before the wall came down. That was the single coldest spot on the planet during the Cold War, let me tell you. 

It is a magical thing to witness, isn't it? Although, the Chinese public loves Yuzu too, in huge part because of his personal relationship with Boyang. All the videos of the two of them having fun with each other, hugging, and laughing together go viral instantaneously throughout China. There's also this wonderful article about Yuzu -- I think it was in Chinese Elle Magazine -- in which they used a common Chinese expression as the title, something like:  I started with the face, I discovered the talent, but I stayed for the character.  I'm probably butchering that. Anyway, big popular Chinese magazine said that Yuzu had an extremely admirable character. Maybe he could become the Japanese Ambassador to China. Sports to the rescue!