General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

It's usually Satomi Ito, a Japanese designer. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think she also designs costumes for other skaters in Team Japan, like Shouma. 

Hmm, seems likely, Shoma's costumes have a similar flare to them.

5 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I...don't think it costs that much. Swan costume has sequins and feathers but it's like, made of diamonds and sapphires or anything. $3000-$5000 is more like it.

Sounds about right! I just checked Satomi Ito's website and it says her costumes generally start at 200000 yen which would be around the $1800USD+ range. 

Just now, yuzuangel said:

I...don't think it costs that much. Swan costume has sequins and feathers but it's like, made of diamonds and sapphires or anything. $3000-$5000 is more like it.

I got my figures from three sources. The first one is below.  Also, Dick button talked about it somewhere, and there was a video of Adam Rippon discussing the costs of skating costumes somewhere too.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/pyeongchang2018/becoming-an-olympic-figure-skater-costs-an-insane-amount-of-money/vi-BBIVBVv

7 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

Sounds about right! I just checked Satomi Ito's website and it says her costumes generally start at 200000 yen which would be around the $1800USD+ range. 

5 minutes ago, Toni said:

I got my figures from three sources. The first one is below.  Also, Dick button talked about it somewhere, and there was a video of Adam Rippon discussing the costs of skating costumes somewhere too.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/pyeongchang2018/becoming-an-olympic-figure-skater-costs-an-insane-amount-of-money/vi-BBIVBVv

These click-baity articles/videos are notoriously unreliable. I remember seeing somewhere that his R+J2.0 costume was like $3000. That sounds about right and actually on the high end for a costume. These costumes are shiny but swarovski crystals are just glass, lol, albeit pretty multi-faceted glass. And it's not like the actual cut of the costumes/dresses are really anything difficult to make.

2 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

These click-baity articles/videos are notoriously unreliable. I remember seeing somewhere that his R+J2.0 costume was like $3000. That sounds about right and actually on the high end for a costume. These costumes are shiny but swarovski crystals are just glass, lol, albeit pretty multi-faceted glass. And it's not like the actual cut of the costumes/dresses are really anything difficult to make.

That's Money Magazine, through Time.  They're reputable, so I'm sure they got their numbers from somewhere... but maybe the higher amounts are for  the highest end women's costumes instead of men's.  Though I definitely remember Adam saying a costume of his cost more than $5,000.00... Hmmmm.... 

1 minute ago, Toni said:

That's Money Magazine, through Time.  They're reputable, so I'm sure they got their numbers from somewhere... but maybe the higher amounts are for  the highest end women's costumes instead of men's.  Though I definitely remember Adam saying a costume of his cost more than $5,000.00... Hmmmm.... 

I think even the New York Times has factual inaccuracies that even the average figure skating fan could point out, lol. But somehow I'm not surprised that Adam's costume is $5,000, his thing is literally just crystals. Lol

2 hours ago, tafattsbarn said:

Considering the things that makes costumes shoot up in price is the stones i wouldn't be surprised. Our boy loves the shiny stones and sometimes there can seemingly never be enough haha.

I read somewhere (can someone confirm?) that when Johnny Weir was designing the Romeo&Juliet2(?) costumes for him, Johnny proposed what he thought was plenty of sparkly... and Yuzu insisted on more/bigger/shinier :smiley-love017:

22 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I think even the New York Times has factual inaccuracies that even the average figure skating fan could point out, lol. But somehow I'm not surprised that Adam's costume is $5,000, his thing is literally just crystals. Lol

HAHAHA! He even said in one costume, he was essentially naked with crystals covering his nipples. 

By the way, that was Money Magazine through Time Magazine, not the New York Times. The NYT is a newspaper, so they go with stories based on the info they have at the moment. Time Magazine isn't as "caught up in the moment," so they take the time to research everything they publish. You will rarely see a Time Magazine retraction, even though all the Newspapers have to apologize frequently for jumping the gun.

22 hours ago, TallyT said:

I read somewhere (can someone confirm?) that when Johnny Weir was designing the Romeo&Juliet2(?) costumes for him, Johnny proposed what he thought was plenty of sparkly... and Yuzu insisted on more/bigger/shinier :smiley-love017:

Well, I certainly hope that's true... because...

11 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Wouldn't diamonds weigh him down and undermine his ability to jump quads though?

I think Yuzu would put lots of thought to how much the sequins on his costumes weigh too, in addition to the aesthetics...

32 minutes ago, souyouki said:

Wouldn't diamonds weigh him down and undermine his ability to jump quads though?

I think Yuzu would put lots of thought to how much the sequins on his costumes weigh too, in addition to the aesthetics...

Someone needs to photoshop him completely weighed down with jewels now.  Crown jewels of course; he's the King.

3 hours ago, tafattsbarn said:

Considering the things that makes costumes shoot up in price is the stones i wouldn't be surprised. Our boy loves the shiny stones and sometimes there can seemingly never be enough haha.

I wonder how often he practices in his full costume.  After all, all those rocks weigh something and I can't see how that additional weight would not factor into his performance, particularly the jumps.  Perhaps he use a weight belt or something along those lines.  Could any of you who know such things illuminate the rest of us or am I making too much over what is essentially a trivial issue?

20 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I wonder how often he practices in his full costume.  After all, all those rocks weigh something and I can't see how that additional weight would not factor into his performance, particularly the jumps.  Perhaps he use a weight belt or something along those lines.  Could any of you who know such things illuminate the rest of us or am I making too much over what is essentially a trivial issue?

Hasn't he complained that the swan costume was too heavy, and they had to get some crystals removed? And then some japanese fans found old pictures of his costumes, and he was right, the crystals were gobsmackingly huge? :smiley-laughing021:

2 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Hasn't he complained that the swan costume was too heavy, and they had to get some crystals removed? And then some japanese fans found old pictures of his costumes, and he was right, the crystals were gobsmackingly huge? :smiley-laughing021:

I think when he initially skated to Notte Stellata that there was something wrong with the sleeves. During the exhibition practice at skate Canada he kept tugging at the sleeves, I think it may have been a tad too short.