General Yuzuru Chat

25 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Wow, very expensive. Well as they should be because people will pay for it and it's a donation.

Does anyone have bigger pictures of the keychains and such?

Oh, these are for charity, too? I thought it was just the parade t-shirts. Now I really have to think about this. >_<

ETA Merch board with selling out and sold out stickers

Spoiler

DajcHWjU8AA94cG.jpg:large

ETA 2 

If you search "羽生結弦展" on Yahoo auctions you can see lots of photos of everything (and compare prices.)

On 4/12/2018 at 11:38 AM, micaelis said:

8 hours ago, Bonesfan said:

8 hours ago, Bonesfan said:

8 hours ago, Pamigena said:

Well, for starters, not everybody in the world knows who Yuzuru Hanyu even is, and more importantly, not everybody would recognize him everywhere in any outfit. And news does get out pretty often still, doesn't it? And when we get those "sightings" at an airport, he often wears his glasses and a cap or even a face mask. So he's obviously not trying to stand out. He doesn't always travel with an entourage and his own security detail like when he arrived at the Olympics. I guess sometimes people just don't recognize him, or if they do, they don't always stalk him to sneak a picture and put it on twitter.

Definitely true. There is a poster on GS that lives in Toronto. She’s seen Yuzu a few times and said she wants to respect his privacy so does not try to talk with him. I would hope that everyone would do the same.

I think it likely that in Toronto he can be out on the street where very few would recognize him.  Outside of Japan Yuzu is primarily known only by the skating community (skaters and fans) and so he can be basically simply another Japanese [admin edit].  In Japan, however, I think anonymity is for him at this time almost impossible to achieve.  His face has to be one of the top ten most recognized faces there.  On the other hand Japanese etiquette would require most people, even when recognizing him to stay a respectful distance (by that I don't mean spatially distant but socially distant).  On the other hand if such an encounter were to take place near an ice arena or such, where his presence would be not very surprising, there would be looser etiquette involved.  One might approach him and exchange greetings and wish him luck on whatever is coming up (at least that's my reading, although I don't have a great acquaintance about such things beyond what I learned when I read The Tale of Genji).  I doubt they would be brash enough to ask for an autograph or such.  Japanese etiquette is really much to be envied by us here in the West.  However, if Yuzu is encountered in a formal situation where he is essentially 'on display', then the interaction could be more complex.  I think it all depends on context in Japan.  Unfortunately Western manners are such that so many people really don't know what is proper or improper.  In the West Yuzu is basically protected by his relative anonymity.

I couldn't find this original post. Maybe it got deleted or moved?

This post it to Bonesfan not Micaelis sorry.

I kind of stopped reading as soon as I read "Oriental". I just have to say no don't do that. Never refer to an Asian person as "Oriental." You could refer Asia as the Orient (although it's an outdated term). You can even refer to items as oriental, but again it's an outdated term from the colonial past. However, never ever refer to an Asian person as Oriental. It's racist. That was my PSA for the day.

7 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Oh, these are for charity, too? I thought it was just the parade t-shirts. Now I really have to think about this. >_<

ETA Merch board with selling out and sold out stickers

Hide contents

DajcHWjU8AA94cG.jpg:large

hydro aci seimei stand is calling me but so is the high kick one please end me

18 minutes ago, asiacheetah said:

I kind of stopped reading as soon as I read "Oriental". I just have to say no don't do that. Never refer to an Asian person as "Oriental." You could refer Asia as the Orient (although it's an outdated term). You can even refer to items as oriental, but again it's an outdated term from the colonial past. However, never ever refer to an Asian person as Oriental. It's racist. That was my PSA for the day.

Spoiler

Just out of curiosity, could I know where you are from? (Sorry I'm on my mobile so can't view your country flag....) I'm from Asia myself, and am ethnically Chinese, but have never personally encountered a problem with being referred to as oriental. I have been referred to as Oriental and was not offended by it at all! So it's interesting to me to see/hear that there is that viewpoint. And I wonder if I could trouble you to share what makes it insulting/problematic?

What I have encountered (and agree with) is that not all Asians are "oriental". From my personal understanding, an "oriental" person is someone with the "oriental" look aka Chinese, japanese, korean etc and is what, unfortunately, most of the western world seems to think of as "Asian". Which is not true given that Indians, Philippines, Cambodia etc etc, (actually the majority of Asia) do not share that common physical genetic background. 

But it didn't sound like that was the problem? (Since Yuzuru is Japanese) so I was just interested to hear your pov! :)

39 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:
  Hide contents

Just out of curiosity, could I know where you are from? (Sorry I'm on my mobile so can't view your country flag....) I'm from Asia myself, and am ethnically Chinese, but have never personally encountered a problem with being referred to as oriental. I have been referred to as Oriental and was not offended by it at all! So it's interesting to me to see/hear that there is that viewpoint. And I wonder if I could trouble you to share what makes it insulting/problematic?

What I have encountered (and agree with) is that not all Asians are "oriental". From my personal understanding, an "oriental" person is someone with the "oriental" look aka Chinese, japanese, korean etc and is what, unfortunately, most of the western world seems to think of as "Asian". Which is not true given that Indians, Philippines, Cambodia etc etc, (actually the majority of Asia) do not share that common physical genetic background. 

But it didn't sound like that was the problem? (Since Yuzuru is Japanese) so I was just interested to hear your pov! :)

Spoiler

I'm Taiwanese American grew up in the States. It's more of a racist/offensive term in the US (I can only speak for in the US not in other countries). It's offensive because it's an outdated term that calls back to the fetishizing of "oriental" people (women and girls) specifically and calls back to the Colonial past when western countries made land grabs in Asia as part of their imperial aspiration.

Oriental refers to people from the Orient encompassing eastern part of Asia. The Orient includes countries and regions like Japan, China, Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Asia is a much larger continent which includes places like India, Pakistan, Cambodia, Tibet, Nepal and most of Russia.

From the Oxford Dictionary: The term oriental has an out-of-date feel as a term denoting people from Asia; it tends to be associated with a rather offensive stereotype of the people and their customs as inscrutable and exotic. In US English Asian is the standard accepted term in modern use; in British English, where Asian tends to denote people from the Indian subcontinent, specific terms such as Chinese or Japanese are more likely to be used.

Asian is the catchphrase used now days in the US for everyone residing or from the Asia continents so it does include people from India and Nepal, China, southeast Asia etc. That's the little box I check anyway in my Census data when I have to choose a "race" category.

Of course if people ask where I'm from, I wouldn't say Asia. Depending on the questioner and what information they are trying to get, I'm either an a**hole and say I'm from California or I say I'm from Taiwan because that's basically what they are trying to find out, my ancestor's country of origin. I won't go into my rant about the (catch-al)l American tendencies toward micro-racism when they ask people not looking Caucasian "where they are from." That's another heap of trouble not appropriate for this topic.

I would say if asked, Yuzuru would answer he's Japanese.

Edit: you will more likely hear the term Oriental used by people from the older generation. My host grandpa called us oriental and he fought in WWII. The term is outdated and has a negative connotation.

Double edit: so if you were called "Oriental" from a Westerner, they are either older generation or not from the US. If they're from the US and they are younger, depending on how they use it, they are either sadly outdated in terminology, or by golly they might be racist. (I kid I kid). Or am I?

1 час назад, yuzuangel сказал:

Wow, very expensive. Well as they should be because people will pay for it and it's a donation.

Does anyone have bigger pictures of the keychains and such?

But that shop is not official shop? So it's like 1/3 is original price for charity/donation/sponsor gain proposes and 2/3 is a commission? I don't think it's legit, IMHO. Also I didn't read that exhibition goods are sell for charity... So I doubt this

58 minutes ago, asiacheetah said:

asiacheetah - I have not made any posts using the word “oriental”. 

13 minutes ago, Lilona said:

But that shop is not official shop? So it's like 1/3 is original price for charity/donation/sponsor gain proposes and 2/3 is a commission? I don't think it's legit, IMHO. Also I didn't read that exhibition goods are sell for charity... So I doubt this

They've been running that site for kpop goods for a while so I don't think it's a scam. You're paying for their time and labour so I don't see a problem with the prices. If you look on Yahoo Auctions you'll see some awful people trying to sell the full kewpie set for over $1000. This site at least takes orders before buying so the goods end up with fans who want them, not like the greedy jerks who are taking away the chance for fans to buy them in the first place.

Just to remind everyone, I don't think you need to rush to make a decision. There are still 5 more stops for the exhibition and I'm sure the sold out items will make an appearance at each one. The prices are also likely to come down as well so you might find a bargain on Yahoo Auctions as more goods make it out into the wild. :)