General Yuzuru Chat

24 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Sorry for going OT but @KatjaThera mentioned past issues while traveling in a different thread which got me wondering, with how frequent Hanyu travels, how often do you think does his bags, or the bags of those who travel with him, get lost? I mean, ANA can't be making special arrangements for him all the time, especially if he's flying routes that they neither have nor have a codeshare with the airlines that do (considering he's flying from Canada most of the time). So curious, lol. Unless the guy does the special parcel delivery thing for stuff like his skates and training gear which forgoes the need to entrust his Very Important stuff to the airline and the baggage transfer companies they outsource to. He'd still be checking in other stuff like change of clothes and toiletries tho, I'd gather, and there has gotta be times his stuff got lost in transit, with how frequently he travels...and given that it's something that cannot always be avoided...

If I ever got to ask him questions, I'd probably ask him to share traveling tips, lol. 

I remember I did some research when we were waiting for him to arrive in Korea and discovered ANA is in a group of airlines with a lot of big airlines, including, I think Air Canada (or some other transcontinental company, forgot, really). Of course, I have no idea if that means they can extend their services across other airlines in the same family or not...

We've heard of other skaters - and Javi specifically - having luggage lost, but we never heard that about Yuzu. (I vaguely remember something about being held up in customs once, though, but I can't remember if that was fact or fiction ^_^; ) They might keep it hidden for reasons... No idea...

As for ninja-ing, I think it depends. He does get recognized sometimes. But it might depend on the people around. I think Japanese people tend to be very respectful of private lives (especially if they're not in groups lol). I've once sat behind a local celebrity on a plane, but never went to my SNS to mention it (admittedly, I also wasn't a fan lol). And on my last trip back from Japan, waiting for the flight, behind me was a famous flamenco dancer giving an interview sort of or talking to a reporter. I never really mentioned that either. So it depends on the people who happen to share his flight. He might also be really good at not getting recognized... who knows, really lol If we knew, he probably wouldn't be ninja anymore lol Maybe he actually dresses super fancy and in ways fans would never expect him to dress to go unnoticed lol I think also, despite the "never flew first class" comments, that he probably does fly business (I'm pretty sure there's a difference lol) at least sometimes and that might add another layer of privacy.

8 minutes ago, dodobirdo said:

Hopping onto the ‘how does he travel’ curiosity train, just how does he manage to be such a complete ninja all the time, especially when he travels internationally? For example, no one knew he was back in Canada until the live sighting + Instagram posts, and again his presence in Japan is unconfirmed but assumed based on the fact that his own ice show starts tomorrow. If he’s traveling commercially, how do the other passengers not know that Yuzuru Hanyu is on the same flight, or if they do know how does news not get out? :shrug:

I was wondering if most of his traveling by air was arranged through ANA since they're his sponsor. 

He must have special arrangements with them so that he has priority exit wherever he goes... 

2 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I remember I did some research when we were waiting for him to arrive in Korea and discovered ANA is in a group of airlines with a lot of big airlines, including, I think Air Canada (or some other transcontinental company, forgot, really)

It's the Star Alliance (even your miles are valid across airlines that are part of the alliance:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:) ANA, Air Canada and United are part of it among with other international airlines.

15 minutes ago, dodobirdo said:

If he’s traveling commercially, how do the other passengers not know that Yuzuru Hanyu is on the same flight, or if they do know how does news not get out? :shrug:

Well, for starters, not everybody in the world knows who Yuzuru Hanyu even is, and more importantly, not everybody would recognize him everywhere in any outfit. And news does get out pretty often still, doesn't it? And when we get those "sightings" at an airport, he often wears his glasses and a cap or even a face mask. So he's obviously not trying to stand out. He doesn't always travel with an entourage and his own security detail like when he arrived at the Olympics. I guess sometimes people just don't recognize him, or if they do, they don't always stalk him to sneak a picture and put it on twitter.

15 minutes ago, Pamigena said:

Well, for starters, not everybody in the world knows who Yuzuru Hanyu even is, and more importantly, not everybody would recognize him everywhere in any outfit. And news does get out pretty often still, doesn't it? And when we get those "sightings" at an airport, he often wears his glasses and a cap or even a face mask. So he's obviously not trying to stand out. He doesn't always travel with an entourage and his own security detail like when he arrived at the Olympics. I guess sometimes people just don't recognize him, or if they do, they don't always stalk him to sneak a picture and put it on twitter.

I think it's really the former-figure skating is still a niche sport, relative to say tennis, football, basketball etc. 

As much as Yuzu wants to Ninja-out, he does seem pretty easy to spot in my opinion, if you know what to look for-his side profile and neck is pretty easy to recognize.  But I think it's just that usually fans are pretty polite-sometime last year we had this discussion before about how most of us, even if we ran into him, or sat next to him in line at the airport, we'd probably keep quiet and not ask him for anything (the most we'd do is probably write a good luck message and paper-plane it to him before running the heck out of there). That and usually, we might have trouble believing we ran into a celebrity/famous person in such a common setting. Really, if a random japanese guy plopped down next to you at the airport waiting lounge, even if he looked like Yuzu, would you really believe that quickly that Yuzu is next to you? It would take a while to register, and by the time it does register, you're making sure you don't act too immature/fangirly out of respect for him. 

As for arrangements- maybe they allow him to have the more important items as carry-ons? Maybe not everything, but perhaps boots and costume. 

Just now, Xen said:

I think it's really the former-figure skating is still a niche sport, relative to say tennis, football, basketball etc. 

As much as Yuzu wants to Ninja-out, he does seem pretty easy to spot in my opinion, if you know what to look for-his side profile and neck is pretty easy to recognize.  But I think it's just that usually fans are pretty polite-sometime last year we had this discussion before about how most of us, even if we ran into him, or sat next to him in line at the airport, we'd probably keep quiet and not ask him for anything (the most we'd do is probably write a good luck message and paper-plane it to him before running the heck out of there). That and usually, we might have trouble believing we ran into a celebrity/famous person in such a common setting. Really, if a random japanese guy plopped down next to you at the airport waiting lounge, even if he looked like Yuzu, would you really believe that quickly that Yuzu is next to you? It would take a while to register, and by the time it does register, you're making sure you don't act too immature/fangirly out of respect for him. 

it will look bad if you go to a random Japanese thinking it's yuzuru and it's not him.

Thanks for all the thoughts re: ninja!Yuzu. I’d had thought that with all the brouhaha surrounding him these days that it’d be almost impossible for him to travel incognito (esp to/from Japan), but I’m happily surprised that he’s able to travel in relative peace even now. I hope that whatever’s contributing to his success as a teleporting ninja continues to hold up from here on out!

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

As for arrangements- maybe they allow him to have the more important items as carry-ons? Maybe not everything, but perhaps boots and costume. 

I always thought the skaters carried their boots and costumes in their carry-ons and they always bring a carry-on-sized suitcase to comps -- yuzu definitely seems like the paranoid type who would want to carry his boots if he could so maybe ANA makes special arrangements to allow him to bring boots on board. And yes, almost certainly he'd have access to the business class lounges or whatnot and express lines through customs etc., it wouldn't be too difficult to evade the general public and most people would usually be polite enough not to bother him or share his whereabouts. 

4 minutes ago, singermelodie1 said:

it will look bad if you go to a random Japanese thinking it's yuzuru and it's not him.

There are tests for that:

• Drop something golden and see his reaction. If you see a lusty glint in his eyes then you know it's him.
  • Buy something containing paprika and eat it next to him. If you feel a judging look over you, it's him.
  • Take out your headphones and see how he reacts.
4 minutes ago, kaerb said:

I always thought the skaters carried their boots and costumes in their carry-ons and they always bring a carry-on-sized suitcase to comps -- yuzu definitely seems like the paranoid type who would want to carry his boots if he could so maybe ANA makes special arrangements to allow him to bring boots on board. And yes, almost certainly he'd have access to the business class lounges or whatnot and express lines through customs etc., it wouldn't be too difficult to evade the general public and most people would usually be polite enough not to bother him or share his whereabouts. 

I wonder if skating boots count as sports equipment and can be transported in cabin under special conditions... what with the sharp blades and all...

28 分, Xenさんが言いました:

21 分, kaerbさんが言いました:

Skaters can only do that if they unscrew their blades from the boots because those blades need to be checked in. They are restricted as hand carry because sharp objects larger than needles (and even those require special prior authorization) cannot be brought on board into the cabin for obvious reasons.

In Hanyu's case, not even his affiliation with ANA can help him with that because these are international rules set by IATA.

@KatjaThera It's categorized as both sports equipment and pointed/edged weapon or object.

1 minute ago, KatjaThera said:

I wonder if skating boots count as sports equipment and can be transported in cabin under special conditions... what with the sharp blades and all...

I always thought they can’t carry skating boots cus of the blades under an circumstances. Anyone could grab the boot and has a weapon ....

31 minutes ago, Pamigena said:

Definitely true. There is a poster on GS that lives in Toronto. She’s seen Yuzu a few times and said she wants to respect his privacy so does not try to talk with him. I would hope that everyone would do the same. 

5 minutes ago, Lilona said:

It's forbidden to take it with you in salon bcs of blades.

Before WC Lufthanza lost Alex Cam baggage and story was ugly :(

https://twitter.com/alex_kambam

yeah I saw that saga unfold, it frankly surprises me that not more incidents like this happen, but I guess it's usually the biggest problem when you have to make multiple flight transfers. I figure maybe ANA has special procedures for the luggage of their VIP guests, especially in a case like Yuzu's if he indeed has to check his boots -- I mean, they are his entire livelihood and usually the sole reason he's travelling (also tbqh, I'm sure even if anything did happen we would not be told it did and you can bet ANA would prob take care of it much MUCH faster than Lufthansa......)