General Yuzuru Chat

20 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

What a wasted opportunity- you get an interview with Hanyu and instead of using an interpreter and asking some good questions about skating and jumps and transitions and getting a flood of rapid fire answers translated you a) ask the same old tired questions you must have heard the answers to 100 times and b) make him speak English which must cut the length of the response by at least half and render it devoid of any nuance he might use speaking Japanese.  Idiot English interviewer.  I suppose he did garner a variation on the Pooh answer but still.....waste :dry:

Podcast.

https://youtu.be/faSJEm6Hjgk

13 minutes ago, singermelodie1 said:

When they will stop asking him about Pooh? They should know the answer by now

I agree with you both. But when Yuzu is asked about Pooh, at least he doesn't have to think too much about what to say unlike when he's asked about the quads... :headdesk2:

The podcast had no substance relating to Yuzu because it was not really thought through. It's more like they happened to be in the same place as Yuzu and decided to throw some random questions at him for the sake. I really felt for Yuzu as he was struggling to make sense in English. Poor bb...:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

I understand those people expected Yuzu to speak English because he's spent the past 6 years at TCC training in Canada. Of course he had to communicating in English there but the people at TCC did speak the other language which was common to Yuzu and that is figure skating. When you have a common subject, it'd definitely help them understand each other much better.

I was rather angry after listening to the podcast as it did not show any of Yuzu's quality and his eloquent ways of talking about many things. I'd say to them to dig deeper next time and get an interpreter like the one at FCCJ press conference!!

Some kpop idol posted a video of himself skating and there's so many people going "omg next yuzuru hanyu" and I know this is petty but that annoys me so much, like you can appreciate your idol being multitalented without, you know, trying to insinuate he's better than, idk the best figure skater of this era

Well I guess I'll also join team hobbit (<158 cm) without skates on. Add on skates and >160 cm. 

In a week or so we'll so Yuzu return to the rest of society from his hide-out cave. Let's let him enjoy his 2nd OGM a bit longer-it's been less than 2 months since, and sometimes I still can't get over what he did to achieve that 2nd OGM. 

21 minutes ago, swan said:

Some kpop idol posted a video of himself skating and there's so many people going "omg next yuzuru hanyu" and I know this is petty but that annoys me so much, like you can appreciate your idol being multitalented without, you know, trying to insinuate he's better than, idk the best figure skater of this era

You're talking about VIXX's N right? They're not being serious, he's clearly a beginner. It's just a way to hype him and it happens a lot in kpop fandom. It doesn't really matter, and i take it as flattering becaue they're comparing to what they consider the top of the sport, which in this case is Yuzu. 

Anyway, the idol in question seems very interested in the sport and even knew the terminology, i think it's sweet (:

34 minutes ago, micaelis said:

You can be sure he knows it.  Remember, this is the guy who strategizes on a level qualitatively higher than his competition.  He's a chess player, not a checkers player.  As for my ideal season for him, the way to exit in full glory - A sweep.  Gold everywhere - Skate America (Nathan's home turf), Skate Canada (even IF Patrick is skating), GPF, Japanese nationals, 4CC and Worlds.  Looking, instead, at a four year trek to Beijing, don't have to do everything in one season, but during the course I'd like him to win gold in all six different GP events and in every GPF, getting back to old habits there.  Then 4CC, and multiple times, getting gold for every silver from there he now has.  Setting a new set of records (in FS) to take into account the new parameters there.  Of course he'll need to make a Japanese nationals gold an annual event for him.  All in all, I'd like to see him dominate these next four seasons (if he goes the distance) even more thoroughly than he has these last four.  If he finishes with that record even the doubters (except for a very few who doubt on principle) will proclaim him GOAT.  Does Yuzu himself want to be GOAT?  Perhaps, but I think for him it's more important just to be perfect.

PS - A 4A also, and maybe the first quint.

Yes, I think Yuzu is even more of a strategist than people realize. Think about this for a moment, he's just had a long trip to TCC to consult with his coaches:, and he's bringing his best TCC choreographers back with him to Japan. NOW. I would bet my eye teeth that he's using the ice-show both as bribery to coax them there and as cover -- an excuse for them to be there with him -- while they secretly choreograph next season's routines with him. They will get paid by being in the show AND by whatever compensation they normally get for choreographing him AND they get more exposure by being recognized as his mentors. Plus, the music work, laying out the programs, costume design (Johnny will be there too), ALL of that can be done with only light skating, during his rehab. This is Yuzuru Hanyu -- King of making the best out of every situation. He'll also have his closest allies there to offer opinions. He's going to construct three new bombshells (SP, FS, Ex.) I'm also going to make a prediction. I bet he will use these bombshells for one season and then put them away in his drawer to secretly perfect in the coming years, while he uses other programs for the next two years. Just like Olympics 2018, he'll take those bombshells out of the drawer in 2022, because he's planning to win the NEXT Olympics too, and this strategy has already proven to work. Meanwhile, he'll also continue studying the physiology behind spinning, hoping to bring a 4a into competition (I refer to his College studies and his talking to every athlete he can find about how they spin in the air.)  THE KING!

30 minutes ago, Toni said:

Yes, I think Yuzu is even more of a strategist than people realize. Think about this for a moment, he's just had a long trip to TCC to consult with his coaches:, and he's bringing his best TCC choreographers back with him to Japan. NOW. I would bet my eye teeth that he's using the ice-show both as bribery to coax them there and as cover -- an excuse for them to be there with him -- while they secretly choreograph next season's routines with him. They will get paid by being in the show AND by whatever compensation they normally get for choreographing him AND they get more exposure by being recognized as his mentors. Plus, the music work, laying out the programs, costume design (Johnny will be there too), ALL of that can be done with only light skating, during his rehab. This is Yuzuru Hanyu -- King of making the best out of every situation. He'll also have his closest allies there to offer opinions. He's going to construct three new bombshells (SP, FS, Ex.) I'm also going to make a prediction. I bet he will use these bombshells for one season and then put them away in his drawer to secretly perfect in the coming years, while he uses other programs for the next two years. Just like Olympics 2018, he'll take those bombshells out of the drawer in 2022, because he's planning to win the NEXT Olympics too, and this strategy has already proven to work. Meanwhile, he'll also continue studying the physiology behind spinning, hoping to bring a 4a into competition (I refer to his College studies and his talking to every athlete he can find about how they spin in the air.)  THE KING!

I can see this as plausible.  Just as plausible is a thought I've been entertaining for a while, and that is Yuzu going into the production of ice shows.  He's got the name so he'll get the money and with him in control of the show he can promote the same high artistic standards that he follows in his own skating.  I think the coming show this off season Yuzu is using to create the bona fides to potential supporters, to show that he has the knowledge to put together a production team that can make a plan into a finished production.  I know Yuzu is interested in coaching someday, but just as he's done what he can to advance the sport and art of skating I think he might now be tempted to do the same with ice shows and turn them into full-fledged theatrical events.  Once he's succeeded there he'll then turn to coaching.  We'll have to wait and see.

And incidentally, I disagree on THE KING.

Rather, THE EMPEROR

20 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Yeah I think they mean only men's skater to win:

Jr Worlds

Jr GPF

Olympics

Worlds

GPF

4CC or Europeans

?

Plushenko won the lot except for Jr GPF because it had not be created yet. Yuna Kim has also won it all, as have Tessa and Scott.

I wonder if Yuzu has a secret wishlist like this where he checks after each gold :darklordyuzu:

Scenario:

He finally wins 4cc gold at the 4th time and announces his retirement, what a glorious ending of a career to be 1st male skater to win ALL possible events. Next day, ISU introduces a new major event :9:

4 hours ago, guitarist said:

They probably did mean major events because we all know he will never win SC :rofl:

Skate Canada?  Yes, the land of Patrick Chan.  He'll win it eventually and I hope when he does he sets SP, FS and Combined records to really put his stamp on the event.  Of course when he does so he'll just be resetting his own records.

49 minutes ago, tafattsbarn said:

You're talking about VIXX's N right? They're not being serious, he's clearly a beginner. It's just a way to hype him and it happens a lot in kpop fandom. It doesn't really matter, and i take it as flattering becaue they're comparing to what they consider the top of the sport, which in this case is Yuzu. 

Anyway, the idol in question seems very interested in the sport and even knew the terminology, i think it's sweet (:

Yeah it’s just twitter talk. They hype everyone up. He didn’t even do any jumps yet and just taking lessons cus he got interested. 

Maybe got inspired by Yuzu :animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01:

2 minutes ago, micaelis said:

I can see this as plausible.  Just as plausible is a thought I've been entertaining for a while, and that is Yuzu going into the production of ice shows.  He's got the name so he'll get the money and with him in control of the show he can promote the same high artistic standards that he follows in his own skating.  I think the coming show this off season Yuzu is using to create the bona fides to potential supporters, to show that he has the knowledge to put together a production team that can make a plan into a finished production.  I know Yuzu is interested in coaching some day, but just as he's done what he can to advance the sport and art of skating I think he might now be tempted to do the same with ice shows and turn them into full-fledged theatrical events.  Once he's succeeded there he'll then turn to coaching.  We'll have to wait and see.

And incidentally, I disagree on THE KING.

Rather, THE EMPEROR

I think we ALL realized right away that Yuzu will soon be THE EMPEROR :-) of ice shows. He's already the star whenever he's at one. BTW, that's why I think he's been making a point of it to mention his college studies as often as possible. Education is extremely important to the Japanese and he won't be taken seriously as the head of any business without some college education. Did you notice the long list of sponsors for his show? He's also proven that he can garner the support of other institutions. That is more evidence that will be taken into account f he wants to apply for a business license and the loans necessary to start such an enterprise. He really IS already there. He could retire tomorrow and immediately go into a stupendous future as a show organizer. THE EMPEROR!

32 minutes ago, Sammie said:

Yeah it’s just twitter talk. They hype everyone up. He didn’t even do any jumps yet and just taking lessons cus he got interested. 

Maybe got inspired by Yuzu :animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01:

1 hour ago, swan said:

1 hour ago, tafattsbarn said:

I agree with all of the above. I'm a fan of the group, and have witnessed the fans making a meme out of anything so it's really just a joke, especially since they aren't even in the same league. :))) 

I'm sorry though if it annoyed you. 

On 4/7/2018 at 2:00 PM, Toni said:

I think we ALL realized right away that Yuzu will soon be THE EMPEROR :-) of ice shows. He's already the star whenever he's at one. BTW, that's why I think he's been making a point of it to mention his college studies as often as possible. Education is extremely important to the Japanese and he won't be taken seriously as the head of any business without some college education. Did you notice the long list of sponsors for his show? He's also proven that he can garner the support of other institutions. That is more evidence that will be taken into account f he wants to apply for a business license and the loans necessary to start such an enterprise. He really IS already there. He could retire tomorrow and immediately go into a stupendous future as a show organizer. THE EMPEROR!

I agree on that and it's no accident that Yuzu has undertaken an extremely difficult major for his college studies.  Cognitive science is a field that requires acquisition of knowledge in psychology, sociology, linguistics, semiotics, computer science, even hardcore philosophy.  I'm not sure how it plays in Japan but in the US high-profile athletes generally (with numerous exceptions I'll say here) go into major fields that are relatively easier on the brain.  If any potential Japanese supporters look at what Yuzu is doing and know what his field demands of a person, they cannot but be impressed.  I'm impressed and despite my English PhD I'd be reluctant to take on somebody even with just an undergraduate degree in the field Yuzu's undertaking.  Which makes me think, knowing he's already applying some of what he's learned to skating, that he probably plans some books in the future. 

All this goes to further impress me about Yuzu.  The lad is no lightweight when it comes to using the gray matter.  The fact is that it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that Yuzu is wanting to do more than just redefine the athletic and aesthetic aspects of the sport.  He wants to know and act in the sport all the way to the top levels.  I can see him in the future being a real power in the ISU and other skating organizations, and not just as window-dressing.  Beneath Yuzu's charm and affability is a first-class politician, a person who strategizes carefully to attain the aims he wants.  I don't think he'll ever enter conventional politics but I can see him becoming a major force in the politics of figure skating and perhaps in sports in general.  He already knows close at hand that figure skating is not the only sport around, as his father was at one time a baseball player (at what level I don't know but Kurt Browning says, after playing some catch with him one day, that Yuzu can really throw a ball), which gives him the perspective to see situations in sport from a vantage point where figure skating is part of the picture rather than the whole picture.

Another point I would make is the rationale of the upcoming ice show.  Yuzu seems to be making of it a sort of retrospective not merely of what and whom have influenced him but I think he's also taking the enforced clamp on his training to make an assessment of himself and decide what's next and where does he see the rest of his life going.  He's also using it to mark a major point in his biography, to formally begin the next chapter.  Up to now his life has been defined by before the earthquake and after it.  Now he's added a new dividing line, signified by the injury and the 2nd Olympic victory, using those to frame his actions to come, clearly labeling now as the beginning of the next chapter.  When Chapter 4 begins in the distant future, I cannot say.  I don't even think Yuzu can say either.