General Yuzuru Chat

Came by still basking in the afterglow of Yuzu's second OGM only to see various interviews where he is expressing doubt about his condition...

First of all, that makes me appreciate SEIMEI a LOT more (as if I didn't appreciate it to begin with).

Second, as much as I felt touched by Yuzu's tears of joy and relief after he won the gold, I didn't want to cry then. But now I want to cry :sadPooh:

At the same time I want to believe that Yuzu would be getting his ankle checked out, take a good break from training (he more than deserved it), see the cherry blossoms with the Emperor and Empress with Shoma in tow--and start off a new era in his career after getting proper treatment... 

9 minutes ago, Aotoshiro said:

Or he is just Extra. Lower the expectations, only to take proper care of himself and turn up at his next competition at 100% whatever and whenever it will be, and blow everybody's mind.

I'm fine with Yuzuru being extra and then coming back to the ice like, "SYKE! Miss me?" 

At this point, I'll believe in anything if it means Yuzuru will still come back for another season :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

All this negative stuff seems to be coming from one place.  It may or may not be accurate - even if it is it's coming from an extremely tired emotional person who is probably in pain.  Large pinch of that salt that tends to be lying around required I think.

Rational and calm-inducing thoughts may follow.

I feel like we're listening to the words of a very emotionally, physically and generally energy drained Yuzuru who just won the medal he has fought for all his life. It's a bit like when you Graduate - you feel lost, maybe you don't know what you're gonna do with your life later. It's a whole new chapter, it's a mystery - in Yuzuru's case, a mystery complicated by a physical condition of which he doesn't have all the information necessary to take decisions on your future.

Why should he think about competing next season NOW? Why should he be busy thinking about other competitions, other fights, other challenges? He needs to rest mentally, that's all he needs - these 3 months off-ice haven't been rest, on the contrary, they've been a nightmare, they've been maybe one of his greatest challenges ever. 

He's only human, so, to me, it sounds perfectly normal that he's saying these things about not knowing where his future lies, and sharing his worries about his physical condition. It's completely normal and it would be unhuman for him to behave in any other way. 

I am 100% certain that he wants to keep competing, because if there are two things he loves doing the most in his life, it's skating and skating to win. When asked what he wanted to do the most now, he didn't say "rest and stop thinking about skating", he didn't say "go back to my family". He said "Rehabilitation", which is self-explicating. The one thing he wants to do the most is go back to being healthy again, because only if he is healthy again he can keep skating at his levels. By saying 'therapy, rehabilitation', he's actually saying that his priority is going back to skating, but being completely healthy, which is, if I'm not mistaken, exactly what most of us have always hoped of him: that he learned to pace himself, and put his health above all. 

Of course, the one element that can be scary is not knowing about the injury. He skated using painkillers, so he must be scared, because he learnt in the past that these things only make the injuries worse. But I don't believe he's in a situation where rehabilitation isn't possible. Why shouldn't it be possible? He's young, his ankles and feet are delicate, but strong. He's authorized to feel panicked and yeah, maybe even a little depressed about his situation. (I wouldn't be surprised if he actually had gone through a depressive crisis during his off-time. The fact that he came back and did that and he wasn't faking it, well, just goes to show his mental strenght).

So, maybe, this is one of the cases in which we have to be strong for him. We're not the ones risking our body, here. Again, it's perfectly normal for him to express fear about his condition. Like many people have said, he felt similarily in Boston, felt like he couldn't take for granted his future carreer. But he never stopped fighting for it, so hell he's not gonna stop now. 

14 minutes ago, Syless Jinx said:

Man NA media is SOOOO salty.  I was watching Olympic ice on NBC and it looked like Scott Hamilton would rather die before calling Yuzu the GOAT.  I get that it's his opinion but I'm rather peeved that he said he would consider it if Yuzu won 3 OGM, and kept bringing up that he lost the free.  It REALLY bothers me that they attribute the change in skating solely Nathan.  Nathan has been senior for 2 seasons, less than Boyang and Shoma.  He only has records in the quad count.  Yuzu, Javi, Boyang and Shoma have changed the landscape, not Nathan.  Only thing Nathan did was bring up the issue of multiple quads.  You know I may be biased cuz I like Yuzu, but I like how Tanith handled it, she had a nice balance of Yuzu and Nathan, while I feel Scott just only wanted to talk about Nathan.  I feel this olympics really made me lose respect for the sportsmanship of Scott, Tara and Johnny (atleast the ice dancer commentators aren't that bad).

uggghhhh I try to avoid anything American news but unfortunately it's hard because I live in NY :facepalm: I am not a fan of Scott Hamilton, I always thought he was a pompous little man, I can't stand Lipinski, her commentary is like nails on a chalkboard and I end up yelling shut up Tara at the tv. It's fricking hard winning back to back Olympic titles, if it was so easy, 1948 and 1952 would not have been the only time since now. :dry: