General Yuzuru Chat

Is anyone around to quickly check some Japanese for me?

specifically 

Specifically he says 臆病 (cowardly?)

おくぶいなった部分(?) - at 33:35

And then 結構やぶいじょうきゅ (状況?)になるのはもう絶対だめだな

Based on context, I'm assuming it's all along the lines of his ACI results were a result of him feeling a degree of fear re: exacerbating the injury and that he definitely didn't want to be in the same bad (??) condition as before (is やぶい actually やばい)?

18 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

come on hydro!! go drink the coke of life :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

11 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

This is going to be waiting for you, up up

tumblr_nzz5z40f3o1qfbp2ao2_500.gif

Is that a light I see... It's so beautiful and warm... It wants me to go there... It's promising eternal warmth, hunny and 3GOE

30 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

OMG...there are two major mistranslations in that video...

1:16 He's actually saying "It's not so mountainous that you can have a far-reaching view of nature no matter where you are".

1:30 Also he's not implying there are many ethnic groups in Japan but just saying Japanese people are tradition-conscious and have various traditional dances and many dialects.

Should they be notified?

Just now, kaeryth said:

@kaerb Thank you for your speed translations :bow:. I'm just gonna go cry in a corner now.. Kthnks bye... :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

You're welcome! I will...join you..... I'm feeling both overwhelmed from seeing 'new' footage of him after so many months, sad and tentatively hopeful

I've finished the speed translations on my twitter thread FYI for anyone interested but very much looking forward to proper translations from the usual suspects. Please take the tweets with a grain of salt esp certain ones I earmarked since there were some words I couldn't hear clearly and, as a non-native JP speaker, don't have the ability/vocab to guess purely on context. 

my long rambly thoughts before I go off and actually start my day lol

• I will never lose my awe for how yuzu's attitude towards challengers to his 'crown' is to be welcoming, delighted and thankful to be joined by people who are his level and who can push him further. it's truly such a rare thing and you could argue he might be mediating his words and I don't doubt there are times he feels like he can't keep up or is frustrated, but he is always respectful and positive about his competitor's strengths and always looking at how he can rise to meet the challenge. it's never about being defensive or protective over his laurels

• coupled with that is a sense of responsibility not only for his own development but for the sport -- I was struck by his words of making a 'positive spiral' of progress which can only happen if the champion pushes himself and the fact he sees it as both a responsibility and something he wants to do is credit to how broad his vision is, that it goes beyond himself

• also, the fact you can sort of see glimpses of yuzu taking a step back to reflect on how far he's come and how he's able to 'challenge' with his BV... I think we underappreciate how difficult it is to master new quads and skills. yuzu isn't an uncle but he's 'middle-aged' in the context of skating and I got a keen feeling for the fact that mastering new quads is no longer as easy as it used to be, but that he's still pushing himself to do so

• that post-ACI interview about his knee broke my heart because he recognised it as a warning and was being so careful but...... :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

zuzu talking about "my biggest connection with Canada... it's through skating" why I'm not surprised:tumblr_inline_mzx95p7TPv1r8msi5::P

But he's so sweet, and he really likes that thing of "so much nature" in Toronto (which I guess is the only part of Canada he has seen:sigh: since he probably has only seen hotel rooms and ice rinks when he was in Regina, Montreal and so on...:peekapooh: but don't worry, zuzu, you're adorkable all right:tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:)

To all the awesome people who've been translating Yuzu's words in the NNN documentary: THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :thanks::bow:

You've made me an endlessly squished thingy that keeps being squished more and more <3 but it's ok, I'm a happy, watered and blooming cactus now :tumblr_inline_n2pje39gH11qdlkyg::tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg::tumblr_inline_n2pje2YFXq1qdlkyg:

@kaerb you keep squishing me so hard, you are merciless:tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5:

1 hour ago, kaerb said:

Is anyone around to quickly check some Japanese for me?

specifically 

Specifically he says 臆病 (cowardly?)

おくぶいなった部分(?) - at 33:35

And then 結構やぶいじょうきゅ (状況?)になるのはもう絶対だめだな

Based on context, I'm assuming it's all along the lines of his ACI results were a result of him feeling a degree of fear re: exacerbating the injury and that he definitely didn't want to be in the same bad (??) condition as before (is やぶい actually やばい)?

I read your later post on your reactions, kaerb, and I agree!

but i used this post to reply to, only to respond (for what it's worth) with what I heard...

I do think he said やばい! I got the sense he meant he no longer wanted any iffy situations, or that that was really not a good idea. The おくびょう、I would say is closer to having had fearfulness, which is different from being cowardly! So I took it to mean he said there was an element of fearfulness in him which may have had an influence. 

But you have here better speakers so it's just my contribution/take on it! (and thank you)

4 minutes ago, theonecurriedplush said:

I read your later post on your reactions, kaerb, and I agree!

but i used this post to reply to, only to respond (for what it's worth) with what I heard...

I do think he said やばい! I got the sense he meant he no longer wanted any iffy situations, or that that was really not a good idea. The おくびょう、I would say is closer to having had fearfulness, which is different from being cowardly! So I took it to mean he said there was an element of fearfulness in him which may have had an influence. 

But you have here better speakers so it's just my contribution/take on it! (and thank you)

Oh good, I got the right idea - I guessed おくびょう meant fearful but it translates as 'cowardly' on Google. He says おくびょう and then reconsiders his phrasing into something ending in い so I got confused. But essentially, he's saying that there was a bit of fearfulness in him (in absolutely not wanting to repeat the injury from 5yrs ago) which likely caused the result in ACI?

(I have no idea if it was his accent but it sounded like yabui LOL but やばい makes so much more sense). Thanks so much for your input, it's really helpful!

7 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Oh good, I got the right idea - I guessed おくびょう meant fearful but it translates as 'cowardly' on Google. He says おくびょう and then reconsiders his phrasing into something ending in い so I got confused. But essentially, he's saying that there was a bit of fearfulness in him (in absolutely not wanting to repeat the injury from 5yrs ago) which likely caused the result in ACI?

(I have no idea if it was his accent but it sounded like yabui LOL but やばい makes so much more sense). Thanks so much for your input, it's really helpful!

I went and listened and listened again! (well, it was fun) now i'm not totally certain about the やばい。And he certainly reconsidered the おくびょう、but I couldn't pick  it up (a more objective word?)

Let's wait for a native speaker! But i think you got the gist of it right!!

46 minutes ago, kaerb said:
  • also, the fact you can sort of see glimpses of yuzu taking a step back to reflect on how far he's come and how he's able to 'challenge' with his BV... I think we underappreciate how difficult it is to master new quads and skills. yuzu isn't an uncle but he's 'middle-aged' in the context of skating and I got a keen feeling for the fact that mastering new quads is no longer as easy as it used to be, but that he's still pushing himself to do so

Another reason why it's more difficult for him is probably not just because learning quads are difficult... it's because of his principles regarding jumps - correct technique, blends with the program, looks effortless, linking steps in and out of jumps. In other words, he wants +3 GOE worthy jumps. The quality of his jumps are simply sublime. :10636614: