General Yuzuru Chat

Yuzuru is “the one at the sail, the master of the sea” ( quoting Believer by Imagine Dragon ) I don’t know why I’m keep thinking about Yuzuru every time I hear this song, so many thIngs I can relate to him in this song . I can say this : i believe in Yuzuru , I believe that he is smart ,he definitely works hard to fix his ankle, together with his excellent team, with the tremendous support and love from fans ( he acknowledges numerous times that would give him strength, and I’m sure he sees it multiplied many times after the incident ) he can do it, he can pull up miracle, he can deliver. I would never ,NEVER write him off any podium at all.  :0007: :knc_brian1:.  

4 hours ago, Amura365 said:

I have a question How likely do you think it is that Hanyu will win the Olympics or even be considered a favorite for gold now. I mean with his injury and being off the ice for months it's not looking good I'm not expecting him to podium to be truthfully honest. And I'm saying this as his biggest fan.

It might be reasonable managing of expectations if Yuzuru's rivals were presenting a better form. As it is, Yuzu's chances, despite everything, are no lesser than theirs.

I fully trust Yuzu and his team. The best is being done to reach his goal. Yuzu is a fierce fighter determined to win. Wherever he is, I know that he is struggling with all his strength to put the gold medal on his neck, the challenges for him are only the fuel for his victory, if there is someone who transforms pain into glory, it is he: Yuzuru Hanyu. I truly believe he will succeed. Ganbatte Yuzu! I always believe in you.

2 hours ago, Aotoshiro said:

Umm, lemme clear this up-you're ruling Yuzuru-I-got-a-split-chin-and-head-and-finished-second-and-first-with-open-wound-in-a-stomach-oh-and-third-on-an-ankle-busted-the-day-before-competition Hanyu out of medalling chances because of an ankle injury he sustained three months before the competition? I mean, yes, he's not a teen anymore, but realistically-as in, Hanyustically -speaking, unless there is another earthquake *knocks on all woods in the room* during or just days before the competition, I will not rule Yuzu out of the top 3. Regardless of nerves, the not-favorite status, literally anything. Sorry if I sound sharp, but I just feel like during that he's-not-consistent! drama, where everybody forgot that since RJ1 season, he's been outside the podium grand total 2 times, when he competed, and outside of top4 grand total of zero times, pressure or no pressure and injury or not. (which equals to literally seven[!!!]seasons, each +/-5 comps, which equals 7*5-2=33medals in the span of his Senior career, +1 for the first 4CC silver makes it +/-34-let these numbers calm your nerves)

In Hanyu we shall trust, is that how it goes?

Also, declaring yoursef his biggest fan here...granted, half the population withered, but that's still risky title nonetheless, unless you're sharing :P

I totally agree! :clap:

Yuzu has skated in much worse conditions. I believe this strong kuyashii-ness that has built up can work in his favor. 

Talking about Olympic nerves, if Nathan, Shoma and Boyang bomb, the podium could very well be Yuzu, Javi and Patrick, which I think will be a nice culmination of Javi's and Patrick's career. Despite the odds against him, I still have faith that Yuzu can win the gold medal. Back in his interview in Kenji no Heya, I think Yuzu mentioned that he "knew" from a long time ago that he would get the OGM. His mental fortitude is incredible and his talent is on par. I have faith in him that he will put out skates that he will be proud of.

12 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

So they're not out of Yuzu's white t-shirt media day photos yet...

Which makes me wonder if they're working so hard this season to pull pictures from the dungeon, how many other Yuzu photos and vids are in the vault never to be seen again from other seasons. :tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

But anyway aw he looks so good! His smile is so happy. I'm glad this photo saw the daylight.

6 hours ago, Amura365 said:

I have a question How likely do you think it is that Hanyu will win the Olympics or even be considered a favorite for gold now. I mean with his injury and being off the ice for months it's not looking good I'm not expecting him to podium to be truthfully honest. And I'm saying this as his biggest fan.

C'mon if you are a big fan and followed him long enough, he's performed in much WORSEEE situations, and never below silver in any competition, except this one time in NHK and that's a very urgent case, now he even got proper rest. Being off ice for a long time isn't his first either. Honestly nothing about his current situation is his first either, prob first time being injured before Olympic? (but how many Olympics can a skater attend btw). That might be proper reason to worry if it's other skater, but it's Hanyu who defied expectation all the time (of how good or how bad his performace suddenly is regardless of the condition lol), injury and off ice reason seem not work for him.

For the doubters and to further develop what Aotoshiro said, let me present you with a concise list of Yuzu′s more crazy achievements:

2012 Worlds - won the free skate with a sprained ankle that kept him off the ice for four weeks after the competition

2013 Worlds - won the free skate (was it?) with ankle pain in one leg and knee pain in the other

2014 Cup of China - finished second overall, despite cuts on chin and forehead, that needed multiple stitches each, deep muscle pain in one thigh, a sprained ankle and bruised stomach/ribs and 5 falls, out of which two on quads

2014 Grand Prix Final - won, despite not having much time to practice and practicing alone, without Brian. Also won despite stomach aches that then made the trip home almost unbearable.

2014 Japan Nationals - won, despite an open, bleeding and infected wound in his stomach. Went straight to the hospital and got surgery a couple of days later.

2015 Worlds - second - and not by that huge a margin - despite only being able to practice for around a week before the competition, due to multiple complications and spraining an ankle while trying to hurry to recover after his surgery.

2015 - NHK Trophy, GPF - world record breaking performances despite the developing lisfranc injury (he won′t admit how bad it was at that point already, but it probably at least hurt).

2016 Worlds - won the SP despite the lisfranc injury which was bad by then. He still finished second (and the FS issues were probably more due to accumulated mental problems, including the stress of the injury and having to drop the toeloop, than the injury itself), although by then he feared he wouldn′t be able to skate again. Was off the ice for six weeks after that.

2017 Worlds - won the FS (and we can argue the SP issues were unrelated) despite an asthma attack two weeks prior and being unable to practice with music on (maybe in a few years we′ll know just how many days of practice he managed then; we might have another >>>.<<< moment then)

2018 ACI - SP World Record despite being off the ice for a week as caution for a potential knee problem. FS issues due to having to simplify his program and not being used to the layout rather than off ice time or knee problems.

Ok, for quite a few of those he didn′t really have much in the way of rivals (it was either just Javi, which means second is the worst he could do, or not really anyone in Javi-less competitions), but still!

Anyone who can look at that and honestly write Yuzu off... well there′s nothing more I can say. Of course, anything can happen. I wonder how many thought, after 4CC last year that Nathan wouldn’t even podium at Worlds? But that can happen to any of them.

For all we know, Adam could win the Olympics, followed by Misha and Keiji. Or someone we don′t even really know. Anything can happen, but that’s no reason to write someone off.

On the other hand, considering we keep getting people worried and wondering, maybe we should make a “Yuzu’s chances at the Olympics” thread and compile pro and con arguments for success. Then, when people feel worried they can go there and see the arguments. (I’m not a big fan of the waves of anxiety that keep popping up, but it is natural for people to worry and not everyone follows the General Thread)

(Also, if I got any fact wrong, please let me know. I wrote it all from memory, as I have to go to work and don't have time to double check ^_^; )