General Yuzuru Chat

13 minutes ago, robin said:

Hmm it doesn't seem like Brian had a good talk with Yuzu yet and I feel like it would still be premature for Brian to make any statements regarding the 4Lz? I would take these news with a grain of salt

As far as I know, Brian hasn't said anything certain about the 4Lz? He just said 'probably' to a question of whether Yuzu would still do it, which is very much what one would expect from someone like Yuzu. Once they talk next week, they'll come up with a plan that may or may not involve 4Lz but what would Brian reply regarding any question about 4Lz? 'No, I won't let him'?

8 minutes ago, xeyra said:

As far as I know, Brian hasn't said anything certain about the 4Lz? He just said 'probably' to a question of whether Yuzu would still do it, which is very much what one would expect from someone like Yuzu. Once they talk next week, they'll come up with a plan that may or may not involve 4Lz but what would Brian reply regarding any question about 4Lz? 'No, I won't let him'?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Anything Brian says right now won't be definite

6 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Thank you @gladi:tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg:

If the ice is as hard as it was in Russia and some other venues, he might have gotten away with just a fall…

Re: Nagakubo's article, can someone kindly explain this comment about ice condition? Like why is the ice at NHK softer? And how does hardness of the ice can help lessen the effect of a fall?

Thank you in advance :snonegai:.

58 minutes ago, dancingnoodles said:

Re: Nagakubo's article, can someone kindly explain this comment about ice condition? Like why is the ice at NHK softer? And how does hardness of the ice can help lessen the effect of a fall?

I ASSUME that harder ice=less deeper cuts on landing=less risk of catching edge, which is what photoreporters suspect happened to Yuzu (stopped edge-no ability to shift leg away from risky arena- fall over the leg with whole bodyweight-twisted ankle). BUT I'd really appreciate if our skating satellites approved/rejected my explanation, as you can go only this far with super basic physics like mine...

1 時間前, dancingnoodlesさんが言いました:

As far as I understand, the water of Japan is "soft water" with less minerals compared to "hard water" in Europe, which brings "softer" ice.  Yuzuru's blade was stuck in the soft ice surface, and if it had been "hard" ice in Russia or other countries, the blade could be bounced back on the surface and he just fell without spraining his ankle.  But this is just an assumption, and nobody knows.

Please correct me, if my understanding is wrong.

37 minutes ago, Aotoshiro said:

I ASSUME that harder ice=less deeper cuts on landing=less risk of catching edge, which is what photoreporters suspect happened to Yuzu (stopped edge-no ability to shift leg away from risky arena- fall over the leg with whole bodyweight-twisted ankle). BUT I'd really appreciate if our skating satellites approved/rejected my explanation, as you can go only this far with super basic physics like mine...

The lower risk of catching his edge seems to be largely the implication. On the other hand, Yamaguchi from B.B.Mook was a former ice hockey player, and he did make the observation during COR that the ice seemed to be of the harder variety, suitable for ice hockey. And that Yuzu had to adjust. For figure skating, softer ice (than ideal for ice hockey) is preferable because it has more give ("bouncy"...). From what I'd read, Tracy mentioned today in her commentary for IdF that the ice was hard and crunchy with no give, and that you see toe picks slipping off on take off, leaving many skaters looking uncertain. That some give in the ice would help in figure skating, especially in elements such as jumps, makes sense to me. The Cricket Club rink is built on a foundation of sand as opposed to concrete, for exactly this reason.

For sure an interesting topic, just adding to the confusion here :biggrin: