When will Yuzu land 4A

SparkleSalad

When will Mr Hanyu land 4A?  

301 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

And I know who I'm rooting for! 

That - is - going - to - be - a - massive - bloodbath !!!!

And I don't mean the skaters. I hope everyone will be okay after their attempts. But the fans will slaughter each other with their screams!!! :darklordyuzu:

17 hours ago, salty said:

apparently keegan said he's still working up to the 4A and that he's landed it a few times in practice but is trying to get it stabilized???!?!?!?! ladies and gentlemen, we've got a race happening

Hey there!  :8122685: Do you happen to have a source for this?  I'd love to see the date and full context.  Is it something that came out since his interview on Ice Talk last week, during which he talked about stabilizing the 4Lz but the 4A was not discussed at all iirc.  Beforehand he chatted about it in text interviews noting that he was putting it on the back burner for at least part of the season but hoped to be able to return to it later on once/if the 4Lz is more stable (see upthread to my earlier post).  If he does get back to it (or if he has already), his next step was to get it out of the harness and be able to land it w/o the harness.  However, that was end of summer and he may have changed his mind (though stabilizing the 4Lz is a better option from strategic viewpoint)? 

Just trying to be cautious here before people get too excited/scared for the skaters' safety.

4 minutes ago, Songster01 said:

Hey there!  :8122685: Do you happen to have a source for this?  I'd love to see the date and full context.  Is it something that came out since his interview on Ice Talk last week, during which he talked about stabilizing the 4Lz but the 4A was not discussed at all iirc.  Beforehand he chatted about it in text interviews noting that he was putting it on the back burner for at least part of the season but hoped to be able to return to it later on once/if the 4Lz is more stable (see upthread to my earlier post).  If he does get back to it (or if he has already), his next step was to get it out of the harness and be able to land it w/o the harness.  However, that was end of summer and he may have changed his mind (though stabilizing the 4Lz is a better option from strategic viewpoint)? 

Just trying to be cautious here before people get too excited/scared for the skaters' safety.

I really hate to be *that guy* but no i dont have a source, i just was doing some reading on other forums and saw it being discussed. I’ll try to look for a reputable source though once I’m home!

22 hours ago, Songster01 said:

apparently he speaks about it in this podcast (keegan starts talking at the 20 min mark):

https://secure-hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/f/a/3/fa3fd818a96040f5/Ice_Talk_Ep._75.mp3?c_id=23924696&cs_id=23924696&destination_id=795207&expiration=1539989834&hwt=2de8a2bdb3f313e3b965f540a205d28a

3 hours ago, salty said:

Yep, that's the Ice Talk podcast I mentioned in my reply to you earlier.  I listened again just in case but there are no references to the 4A anywhere, not in the interview with Keegan, nor in any of the other segments.  Again Keegan discusses the 4Lz and his struggles landing it this season.  Perhaps someone misheard "Lutz" as "Axel", but it's also clear from context he is talking about the 4Lz since that was in his planned content at GTSA (which I saw myself live).  He landed one in practice, but not in competition (called <), though it was attempted.  At Nebelhorn no 4Lzs were landed, though it's not completely clear whether his triples were planned or not (consensus is planned though). 

That the Ice Talk interview didn't touch on the 4A suggests it wasn't enough on the radar of the international press atm to ask; it was clear anyway that the 4Lz was his foremost interest for at least part of this season (or all, though we'll have to see ofc), given the earlier interview with Canadian journalist Bev Smith: https://bevsmithwrites.com/keegan-messing-what-now/

A quote (more details at the link):  "And then there’s that quad Axel, the new frontier. And Messing is walking into the ether of it. Messing says he and coach Ralph Burghart are “joking around with it.”"

“It’s scary but it’s cool,” he said. “I haven’t tried it out of the belt yet, but we’re really hoping that we can work it out of the belt this year.”

So unless he's already given up on the 4Lz (seems early to do so!) he's probably still focusing primarily on it and leaving the process of the moving the 4A out of the harness to later this season or in the off-season.

Kurt talking about his own 4A attempts during his competitive days and a conversation with Yuzu about how jumping 4A feels like you’re in the air forever. Says he’s looking forward to seeing it from Yuzu but expressed concern because “he’s fragile like a bird” and hopes he makes it through. 

PJ again says she’s seen him attempt 4A, amazed at speed and height, but hasn’t seen him land one yet.

2 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Kurt talking about his own 4A attempts during his competitive days and a conversation with Yuzu about how jumping 4A feels like you’re in the air forever. Says he’s looking forward to seeing it from Yuzu but expressed concern because “he’s fragile like a bird” and hopes he makes it through. 

PJ again says she’s seen him attempt 4A, amazed at speed and height, but hasn’t seen him land one yet.

Wrote a transcript in the Gen Yuzu thread. Might as well copy it here.

PJ: So what are you really looking forward to this season? Tell me the biggest thing you're looking forward to.

Kurt: ... Yuzuru Hanyu. I'm really excited about Yuzu because of something he said to me the other day.

PJ: Tell me what he said.

Kurt: Two things but one's private. He said 'I'm back this year' with his wonderful accent and barely English, but he's back to do a quad axel and that is some sexy, exciting stuff.

PJ: I have seen it in practice. Not landed but holy smokes the speed, the height.. whoo!

Kurt: And he's fragile like a bird so I hope he makes it through this. Um... and he and I had a talk about it. For about 5 days, a million years ago I was trying a quad axel

PJ: Were you really?

Kurt: I was.

PJ: How close did you get? Did you land any?

Kurt: No.. no, I didn't get close. It felt  like... I told him... I said 'it felt like I was in the air forever'. Like I've gone up and (looks at watch) I've gotta be done now and then I'd open up early.

Carol: Is it over?

Kurt: Not done yet. And he laughed and said 'I know it feels like... forever'. And it is this (mou chotto pose) much longer than any of his other quads. Like this much. But the feeling, the way that we turn 4 is not the way you turn 4 with an axel. That's why the triple axel is different than the other triples and it just felt like I was in the air forever. So I felt validated that maybe, arguably, the best skater that's ever skated, you know, said that to me. I was like 'yeah! that's how I felt too.'

6 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

I wonder if everybody is under instructions not to say anything more about the 4A than what he has said - that he is training it and it's not there yet. Like Japan media and the 4Lz last season. 

I wish he’d never said anything about it, kept it 100% completely super top secret so he could just whip it out in competition and short-circuit everyone’s brains.