When will Yuzu land 4A

SparkleSalad

When will Mr Hanyu land 4A?  

301 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Yatagarasu said:

For sure. After all we have seen URs from Artur in practice. If he was landing a rotated one at least once in a while someone would be lurking with a camera to catch it. Mishin's an old fox but IMO at least he over-hypes sometimes and then it ends in tears. 

@Sammie that's a kid who is 13, whose jumps are not that big so I think what that post means is this is how we start on the road to 4A - with Axels with less rotation/pops first. Polina in general seems to be pretty safety inclined. I hope at least. 

Oh I know. I didn’t really think he was going for it... I was kinda joking around... 

• 2 weeks later...

In an interview in Figure Skating Life vol. 15, Hanyu talks about his progress with 4A and says he's still not fully rotating it.

— So then, about the Quad Axel, how does it feel currently?

Right in the middle of working on it!

— (Laughs) Two-foot landing…? Or fully rotating…?

I — am no good at two-foot so… If I could land two-foot, I think I would be round though (laughs). It’s a little frustrating. But, if I did that, it would end up a cheap jump, so I’m thinking I want to go forward with the Axel aiming for quality beyond my Triple Axel.

("Quality beyond my Triple Axel." Amazing boy. This would be a sight to behold!)

This interview was conducted during Media Day so he may have made progress since, though how long would it take to stabilise once he gets full rotation?

Does this change anybody's predictions?

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

In an interview in Figure Skating Life vol. 15, Hanyu talks about his progress with 4A and says he's still not fully rotating it.

("Quality beyond my Triple Axel." Amazing boy. This would be a sight to behold!)

This interview was conducted during Media Day so he may have made progress since, though how long would it take to stabilise once he gets full rotation?

Maybe Rostelecom cup or Grand Prix final? I feel like he'll be more focused working on improving Origin after ACI for Helsinki.

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

Nope because I think he was a lying liar about still not fully rotating it back then. All the reported sightings we've had, and Ghislain's 'not landing it every time' are all from around that time, too. Even PJ. And Shae. None of them would be so in awe of an UR 4A, we've seen UR 4A from Artur. I'm still sure that it's far more about his stamina and putting it in the programme than about landing it at all. 

ETA: And what kind of fools does he think we all are, two-footed jumps are UR more often than not, they're two-footed because they reach the ice before the feet are in position for landing!

1 minute ago, WinForPooh said:

Nope because I think he was a lying liar about still not fully rotating it back then. All the reported sightings we've had, and Ghislain's 'not landing it every time' are all from around that time, too. Even PJ. And Shae. None of them would be so in awe of an UR 4A, we've seen UR 4A from Artur. I'm still sure that it's far more about his stamina and putting it in the programme than about landing it at all. 

PJ said it was "not quite there yet" and Shae was in awe of the height and distance which doesn't necessarly mean it was completely clean. Brian and Gishlain didn't specify if he'd landed it fully rotated, either, and Brian's talked up imperfect jumps before, not that his comments about what he's seen on the harness are hype. Brian was talking about Yuzu's 4A attempts in the summer before the injury, as well. Has he said anything about it since?

If Yuzu is fibbing, do you think he'll hold off showing it in competition until he can produce the quality he's after? To not just to rotate so as to leave no one in doubt of it being a true 4A but to execute it more perfectly than the most perfect triple would take quite some time, wouldn't it?

15 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

PJ said it was "not quite there yet" and Shae was in awe of the height and distance which doesn't necessarly mean it was completely clean. Brian and Gishlain didn't specify if he'd landed it fully rotated, either, and Brian's talked up imperfect jumps before, not that his comments about what he's seen on the harness are hype. Brian was talking about Yuzu's 4A attempts in the summer before the injury, as well. Has he said anything about it since?

If Yuzu is fibbing, do you think he'll hold off showing it in competition until he can produce the quality he's after? To not just to rotate so as to leave no one in doubt of it being a true 4A but to execute it more perfectly than the most perfect triple would take quite some time, wouldn't it?

When I saw that interview, that's not how I interpreted it. Shae said it looked like he was just going to take off and just fly off, and PJ said not quite to that - like not quite flying away, but almost. I didn't hear it as the 4A is not quite there, at all. I heard it as not quite defying gravity entirely and flying, he does land, like a joking remark. I can't recall the exact words but it was like 'it's something else, he's just up and away'' and replied with 'Not quite but almost.' She literally said she'd seen the 4A before saying that, she didn't say she'd seen a UR or a fall on a 4A, she'd seen it, and they both agreed.

Ghislain said he's not putting it in the programme because he's not landing it every time, not because he cannot land it fully rotated. And Brian has never actually talked up Yuzu's jumps if they're flawed, as far as I can remember. He's done it with others. I think Yuzu controls what is said about his jumps. 

He said he's doing it this season, and he's never said that and not done it, so unless you think he's going to try it for the first time as he tries for a historic fifth GPF competing against the top skaters with no cushion, or as he goes for his third Worlds, there are only two options. At the GPs he could win if he flubs a jump and skates the rest clean, there's only one skater at each who can beat him if they go clean and he makes a mistake at GPs. At GPF or Worlds, there will be considerably more skaters who can catch up if he makes a mistake. If he falls on 4A, he'll need everybody else to splat at least once to have a chance of winning. I don't think he's taking that risk. He might even end up off podium.

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

When I saw that interview, that's not how I interpreted it. Shae said it looked like he was just going to take off and just fly off, and PJ said not quite to that - like not quite flying away, but almost. I didn't hear it as the 4A is not quite there, at all. I heard it as not quite defying gravity entirely and flying, he does land, like a joking remark. I can't recall the exact words but it was like 'it's something else, he's just up and away'' and replied with 'Not quite but almost.' She literally said she'd seen the 4A before saying that, she didn't say she'd seen a UR or a fall on a 4A, she'd seen it, and they both agreed.

Ghislain said he's not putting it in the programme because he's not landing it every time, not because he cannot land it fully rotated. And Brian has never actually talked up Yuzu's jumps if they're flawed, as far as I can remember. He's done it with others. I think Yuzu controls what is said about his jumps. 

He said he's doing it this season, and he's never said that and not done it, so unless you think he's going to try it for the first time as he tries for a historic fifth GPF competing against the top skaters with no cushion, or as he goes for his third Worlds, there are only two options. At the GPs he could win if he flubs a jump and skates the rest clean, there's only one skater at each who can beat him if they go clean and he makes a mistake at GPs. At GPF or Worlds, there will be considerably more skaters who can catch up if he makes a mistake. If he falls on 4A, he'll need everybody else to splat at least once to have a chance of winning. I don't think he's taking that risk. He might even end up off podium.

PJ was finishing her sentence about having seen it in practice and said "not quite there yet" before Shae made that remark.

I haven't heard Brian say anything except tbat the harness guy didn't have to lift him a couple of times which isn't really talking it up UR or not. Haven't heard Brian say anything about him landing it out of harness one way or another, unless I've missed something.

There's possibly 4CC and WTT which don't matter so much if he wants to try to land it this season with low risk as well. He made the comments about landing it before the deadline he'd set himself at the same time he said that he didn't care about results anymore. I wonder if ACI kuyashii might have made him more cautious about including it sooner rather than later. It certainly seems to have made him second guess his commitment to artistry over TES in the SP and he seemed surprised by just how poor his condition was with a non-4A FS.

Someone should put a camera on that raccoon. :P

3 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

I actually didn't get that from what he said there. He doesn't specifically say he's  UR, just that he's still working on landing the thing. 

So it doesn't change my prediction.

But I had another thought: there's landing 4A, and then there's landing 4A in a program. I don't know what way he'd structure a program with 4A in it, but if it's his opening jump, then his practices will definitely have to include 4As in the run-through. Which means he can't do 4A in competition unless he gets to the point where it can safely be in his run-throughs. And that will take longer than just learning to land it.

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Which means he can't do 4A in competition unless he gets to the point where it can safely be in his run-throughs. And that will take longer than just learning to land it.

Off topic, but can you imagine the pandemonium if he tries (and even more if he actually lands!!) one in one of the competition practices?? It's going to bring down the internet cause you know for sure there's going to be videos and streams and pictures and live fan accounts recording every single second of it!

9 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

Off topic, but can you imagine the pandemonium if he tries (and even more if he actually lands!!) one in one of the competition practices?? It's going to bring down the internet cause you know for sure there's going to be videos and streams and pictures and live fan accounts recording every single second of it!

Yeah... I wouldn't want to be on rink security that day....but I also don't think he's likely to tip his hand that way.

We don't even know if he'll go for 4CC or WTT this season. The only time he asked to go to 4CC is when it was being held at PC, wasn't it? That would've been Olys prep in the long run. As for WTT, if what he wants is to land a 4A that everybody acknowledges, has no questions attached to it, it will not be at WTT. Zhenya held WRs set at WTT and the prevailing opinion was that they shouldn't really count because it was just WTT. 

As for the Brian thing, I was just responding to the 'Brian has talked up imperfect jumps before' bit. He's never done that with Yuzu. Nobody from TCC has done that with Yuzu, actually, so if Ghislain said he's not putting it in the programme because he's not landing it every time, then I'd say it's because he's not landing it every time. He's not landing it every time implies he's landing it some of the time, UR is not really landing it by his standards. 

I didn't hear the 'not quite there yet' bit from PJ the last time I listened to it, but PJ is not at TCC all the time so that's just subtracting a cryptid sighting from it. 

For me the bottomline really is that they all said he's going to do it this season. He said he's going to do it this season. There's just no way he would set that as an actual deadline for this season, to put it in his programme and land it in competition, unless he has already landed it in practice outside of run throughs at the very least. The gap between landing it after just skating across the rink and landing it in competition, is so huge. I don't think even he could bridge that gap over the span of one season if he hadn't already done it without UR enough times to make putting it in programme a realistic goal. 

7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yeah... I wouldn't want to be on rink security that day....but I also don't think he's likely to tip his hand that way.

I wouldn't want to be in the rink more. Imagine the pressure! It'd be a huge blow as if having Yuzu as a competitor is not scary enough

I still think he will jump it in Helsinki or CoR. If he doesn't do that, he won't try it for the rest of the season imo. It's too risky. 

And honestly, I believe he is a true trolling machine. Still remember his documentary after PC: "My practice, to the other athletes who also want to win, is very important. Whatever I did, my every move will be reported, I was aware of this from the beginning. So from the start, I practiced with a low level of difficulty."

Yeah, I'm not buying it anymore. I think he jumps it alright. But being Yuzu, he won't show us a jump that does not have at least +2.

:darklordyuzu:

Hmm, if he goes to 4CC and WTT? Those are events where he could try it, especially WTT, since they might not matter or effect team Japan's slots as much. WTT jumps are still ratified by ISU. Or being the scheming troll that he is, he'll wait to see how the other guys are quadding before deciding if he whips it out (sorry, risks it) in a more serious competition (my guess is GPF or 4CC in that case). 

Well I'm supposedly going there, so for the sake of my hair, I hope not GPF. But I have a really weird feeling about this. :13877886: