Yatagarasu

[2018] CS ACI Men - Short Program

1 hour ago, yoloaxel said:

Me before the SP: "I'm 0% nervous, 100% excited"
Me after protocols: "0% calm, 100% righteous rage"

I wouldn't be surprised that is how Yuzu also feel. He was going to be zen for a while but judges may have accidentally turned on the "ON" button earlier than he planned... we will see tomorrow.  Putting judging aside, if this is first pancake, we are in for a treat this year for the SP. 

Also I giggled a bit when Ted said "the greatest [oops], one of the greatest figure skater, and certainly of modern times". It's like he accidentally let out what he really thought before he remembered to be more politically correct.  

Not saying you're wrong.  But this mentality is ridiculous.  The ISU should continue to score Yuzu as he deserves, leaving him up on that pedestal as a motivator for young skaters.  What keeps the young skaters working hard?  What gets them skating in the first place?  It is seeing the amazing skaters out there right now, it is having those skaters there representing a goal to try to attain.  Artificially inflating scores just to make the younger skaters look competitive against someone like Yuzu would be something that would backfire in the end, I would think.

Although maybe they assume that "Two-Time Olympian" is enough of a motivator for anyone following in Yuzu's footsteps?

Argh!!

Maybe to Japan he is a motivator. But outside of one other skater, Japan never has much influence over marks - you only need to look at the ladies for that. 

For other countries, and two countries in particular, he is nothing more than an obstacle.  And it has backfired for those two countries, very recently too. 

Good morning, everyone! It's 8:30 am from where I am and I had only 3 hrs of sleep. How are you all holding up? I still feel a bit sad about Yuzu's score. I guess I'll be sulking all day, eh?

21 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

Good morning, everyone! It's 8:30 am from where I am and I had only 3 hrs of sleep. How are you all holding up? I still feel a bit sad about Yuzu's score. I guess I'll be sulking all day, eh?

I've just got up too, also after 3 hours sleep, I am so happy to see Yuzu skate, salty with the result:salty:

Just now, Kim Nhung said:

I've just go up too, also after 3 hours sleep, I am so happy to see Yuzu skate, salty with the result:salty:

I really hope for a good free skate. This sport is so harsh to Yuzu. He has given all of himself to FS and this is what they do to him. I hate it. I hate it so much.

I just woke up and saw Yuzu's program. Quick thoughts from my barely awake brain: beautiful costume that shows his line to the best effect. I'm still not completely sold on the music or program, but it took me awhile for Chopin as well.

Looked at the judges scores. Man they were not handing out candies at all. Harsh is what I think. Seems like an anomaly since Lombardia is handing out high scores again. Judge 1 Ireland and judge 2 USA were especially harsh. I mean a +1 GOE for that glorious 3A? Low 9 across most PCS. Lower than 9 on performance? Wow

Maybe it's been discussed ad nauseum, but why did Yuzu get his second spin invalidated? With that spin he would have broken 100 which is still set low for him.

2 hours ago, LadyLou said:

When you watch him take the ice, you forget he's just a 23 years old guy (who's been described like small, compact and so on LOL), you feel the aura of something different. You feel nobility.

It's the way he just carries himself. Solemn yet sincere and utterly beautiful.

I care about the scores (and I believe in my bones that he does, too). And if ISU officials or judges think they can goad him into retirement by low-balling his scores (as one poster theorized), they're stupider than anyone here has suggested. That's a sure way to make sure he sticks around until he can wave a 3rd OGM in their faces. 

All that said, what I really care about is HIM, and this absolute miracle of -- what, maturity? confidence? claiming his own greatness? -- that we're all witnessing. I don't know what to call it, but he's DIFFERENT in some fundamental way. It's like he finally owns the full rights to who he is and what he wants and what brings him joy. There's been a settling and a relaxing that's just heart-stopping to see. 

And today, nothing is gonna take the beauty of that away from me. I just hope nothing takes it away from him. 

A million thank-yous, Yuzu. 

Hmmm... I dunno. I can understand his frustration. The program is clearly a work in progress. The first time watching it I was not sold at all, the second time was better, as I could figure out what the intended accents were. He was rather off the beat for a large part. He seemed a bit tired  maybe? StSq was cool.

Hope it'll be better tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, Sammie said:

Look how gorgeous his costume is. All the details  :20111123175639e73:

I really is very beautiful. Those little lines crisscrossing into the darker blue make me think his body kind of looks like it's emerging from a frozen lake. 

tumblr_pff5ta6PzC1qb4ckgo3_r2_400.jpg

I loved Yuzu's short! :tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw::tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg::tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw: It was beautifully done and the brief hydroblade he did was really impactful :tumblr_inline_mfy92hO4sm1qid2nw: I barely noticed the wobbly 4T+3T (maybe because I blinked whoops) but he after he landed all of his jumps and did a performance like that I was expecting a pretty high score... it's below his usual 100+ score on his shorts and getting beyond a 100 should actually be easier now considering that there is a +5 GOE... ah whatever. It has happened all I can do is hope that he does a jaw-dropping free tomorrow and give the judges a whiplash so hard that they see stars. (but chances are, he probably wouldn't considering that this is only the first pancake^^) Well, at least he's in first!

(But now that I think about it, I can sort of see why he didn't get his usual high scores... The drama and pettiness aside (and that bloody invalidated spin gjeivworjeogIHWORIw :tumblr_inline_mzx8t825tZ1r8msi5:), he was lacking his usual intensity in his short. Like when he skated Chopin, Seimei, H&L and even LGC he had a kind of competitive spark to him that made his programmes really passionate and captivating. His short here was captivating too, but not in the same way imo^^ his short was a 'beautiful and graceful' kind of captivating. :10636614:)

And does anyone know why his spin was invalidated? They looked fine to me :14066882:

21 minutes ago, orphismo said:

I really is very beautiful. Those little lines crisscrossing into the darker blue make me think his body kind of looks like it's emerging from a frozen lake. 

tumblr_pff5ta6PzC1qb4ckgo3_r2_400.jpg

I was trying to think of what those lines reminded me of and I think you found it. That and frost under a microscope...

My dad just asked me how did yuzu do last night... i said fine, it’s the first competition and the judging was a bit funny (explained the wobbly spins lol and the 3A and pcs stuff). He then replied “maybe the judges just wanted him to perform better next time, to push him”. I barely slept for 2 hours after all that mess... i do not have time for this :facepalm: so i replied yeah maybe..

ok I’m actually over what happened and otonal is such a beauty, but dude my eyes is killing me. I feel like I’ll be zen until ACI finishes :dancingpooh: